The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 06, 2011, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Nicasio broken neck

Rockies' Juan Nicasio has surgery to repair broken neck - The Denver Post

There had been a discussion on when to call time for an injured player. On replay, the ball bounded toward the on deck area and was fielded by the catcher and the runner made it easily to first. It looked like he was rendered immediate attention, with no delay from the course of play. Horrific injury, one wonders if he'll ever pitch again after a C-1 fracture/repair.

Last edited by Larry1953; Sat Aug 06, 2011 at 02:33pm.
Old Sat Aug 06, 2011, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1953 View Post
Rockies' Juan Nicasio has surgery to repair broken neck - The Denver Post

There had been a discussion on when to call time for an injured player. On replay, the ball bounded toward the on deck area and was fielded by the catcher and the runner made it easily to first. It looked like he was rendered immediate attention, with no delay from the course of play. Horrific injury, one wonders if he'll ever pitch again after a C-1 fracture/repair.
I notice that the umpires, appropriately, called time at the end of play.
Old Sat Aug 06, 2011, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

The first trainers / etc to leave the dugout didn't do so until the runner neared (or was at) first. That's as far as he was going to go on that play, in MLB. So, time was called (after the runner reached first, after the trainer was on the field).

As I've said, in upper level baseball, the players will take the "value" of the hit, and time will be called and no one will be penalized for starting out of the dugout a step or two early (and maybe farther if they don't interfere with play).
Old Sat Aug 06, 2011, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
I notice that the umpires, appropriately, called time at the end of play.
Quite true. The first I instinct of the catcher was to field the ball and F3 to cover the bag. PU seemed to have his attention focused on the injured player.
Old Sat Aug 06, 2011, 07:02pm
Is this a legal title?

Last time someone in pro baseball got a high-profile devastating injury after being struck in the neck with a batted ball, helmets were mandated for those occupying that position.

I wonder if they'll overreact again.
Old Sat Aug 06, 2011, 07:09pm
Administrator

Two years ago, Mark, Jr., and I were umpiring a boys' 12U game (80 ft bases) that played under OBR. Junior was the PU and I was the BU. The Batter hit a line shot back to the Pitcher that hit him on his forehead bounced into foul territory between HP and 3B on the fly. F1 hit the ground before the ball hit the ground in foul territory. We both called Time simultaneously and awarded all of the Runners one base. IMHO it really doesn't matter what age the players are, in this type play, play should be stopped immediately.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Aug 06, 2011, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

That looks terrible.

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | WSH@COL: Nicasio leaves the game after getting hit - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Old Sat Aug 06, 2011, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Two years ago, Mark, Jr., and I were umpiring a boys' 12U game (80 ft bases) that played under OBR. Junior was the PU and I was the BU. The Batter hit a line shot back to the Pitcher that hit him on his forehead bounced into foul territory between HP and 3B on the fly. F1 hit the ground before the ball hit the ground in foul territory. We both called Time simultaneously and awarded all of the Runners one base. IMHO it really doesn't matter what age the players are, in this type play, play should be stopped immediately.

MTD, Sr.
By the replay, he was struck at :09, batter reached first at :13 and a trainer was at his side at :19, ten seconds after he went down. It's hard to see how they could have gotten there quicker. If his larynx was crushed and he needed an emergency tracheostomy, it probably would have been done more quickly there than on any Little League field. I agree with your comment in principle, and most certainly at amateur levels. It is just hard to see how it would help much at the MLB level. In this case, it might have gained 3 or 4 seconds. BU the EMT personnel are at least 5 to 10 minutes closer.
Old Sat Aug 06, 2011, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

An article says the C-1 fracture (the one that happens when diving into a shallow pool) probably happened when he dropped right down on top of his head. The impact of the ball caused a skull fracture, but that was the lesser injury.
Old Sat Aug 06, 2011, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Just Cuious

To the people who think MLB might overreact, what could MLB do in this case? Mandate hard helmets for F1's?

Anything else dramatically changes the game forever, right?
Old Sun Aug 07, 2011, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
Last time someone in pro baseball got a high-profile devastating injury after being struck in the neck with a batted ball, helmets were mandated for those occupying that position.

I wonder if they'll overreact again.
Are you referring to base coaches? I have always thought that was a good decision.

CNNSI.com - 2001 MLB All-Star - Lasorda plunked by Guerrero's broken bat - Wednesday July 11, 2001 01:57 AM
Old Sun Aug 07, 2011, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Caps for sale!

Wilson Pro Hard Shell Base Umpire Cap: Ump Attire
Old Mon Aug 08, 2011, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achu View Post
Are you referring to base coaches? I have always thought that was a good decision.
The helmets being worn would not have prevented the injury that led to the requirement to wear helmets.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2011, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1953 View Post
By the replay, he was struck at :09, batter reached first at :13 and a trainer was at his side at :19, ten seconds after he went down. It's hard to see how they could have gotten there quicker. If his larynx was crushed and he needed an emergency tracheostomy, it probably would have been done more quickly there than on any Little League field. I agree with your comment in principle, and most certainly at amateur levels. It is just hard to see how it would help much at the MLB level. In this case, it might have gained 3 or 4 seconds. BU the EMT personnel are at least 5 to 10 minutes closer.
You are becoming ridiculous. Do you stay awake nights thinking of this crap and timing videos? Believe me, you are not impressive by a long shot!
Old Mon Aug 08, 2011, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The helmets being worn would not have prevented the injury that led to the requirement to wear helmets.
I was being a tad sarcastic, as a helmet would not have helped Lasorda either. Ha. But, I was under the impression that a single-A coach was hit in the head by a foul a few years back. Is this why they now wear them in A - MLB?