The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Neck Surgery

I am leaning toward having surgery to fix a ruptured disk in my neck that is pressing on a nerve root. Unless I choose to have the investigational artifical disk replacement, I will have the conventional disc removal and fusion. I haven't discussed yet with the Dr. what if any limits I would have on my activities after fusion.

I am wondering if anyone has had this type of surgery and has been able to resume umpiring, or whether they had to give it up.

Mike
Old Sat Oct 17, 2009, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Rather than seeking non-medical anecdotes from umpires concerning their individual experience, you would get better info from a physical therapy group that works with ortho patients.

PTs see many of these cases, and you'll get a better idea of possible outcomes from someone who has seen many cases, rather than an umpire who knows only his own.
Old Sat Oct 17, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

That's some serious wisdom. And it's logical to conclude that such a wealth of wisdom qualifies you to be consulted for advice on virtually anything else.
Old Sat Oct 17, 2009, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

DTQ_Blue,

What umpiring stance do you use? If the answer is scissors, you'll join the not-so-exclusive club of scissors umpires who develop neck problems.
Old Sat Oct 17, 2009, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Rather than seeking non-medical anecdotes from umpires concerning their individual experience, you would get better info from a physical therapy group that works with ortho patients.

PTs see many of these cases, and you'll get a better idea of possible outcomes from someone who has seen many cases, rather than an umpire who knows only his own.
God forbid the man should try to spark a conversation and possibly find a little compassion with other officials that might understand what he's going through......................

You know what Mama said.........

Timmy
Old Sat Oct 17, 2009, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
God forbid the man should try to spark a conversation and possibly find a little compassion with other officials that might understand what he's going through......................
I don't think you read the OP. He asked about surgical outcomes and the likelihood of his continuing to umpire. I replied that this forum is not a reliable resource for that information.

I don't tell people what to post, nor do I presume to know better than they do what they want when they're posting. Instead, I try to address the questions that they actually ask.
Old Sat Oct 17, 2009, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTQ_Blue View Post
I am leaning toward having surgery to fix a ruptured disk in my neck that is pressing on a nerve root. Unless I choose to have the investigational artifical disk replacement, I will have the conventional disc removal and fusion. I haven't discussed yet with the Dr. what if any limits I would have on my activities after fusion.

I am wondering if anyone has had this type of surgery and has been able to resume umpiring, or whether they had to give it up.

Mike
I had back surgery in 1976. 5th lumbar disc and partial vertebrae removed. In 1983, I ruptured the 4th lumbar disc and was told that I would need a fusion. My chiropractor has kept me off the table all these years.

So, seeing as I am familiar with the surgery and what happens afterword, let me say that you should let the doctors do what they have to then work with physical therapy. I wouldn't worry about umpiring for a while and then only work the bases. I would stay away from plate work for a long while. You must consider the weight of the mask, the angle of the head in the squat and the possibility of getting drilled by a foul ball directly to the mask. Wait for the doctor to approve.

They have come a long way since 1976. I have a gentleman that I umpire with on occasion that had a fusion in the lumbar region and he returned to full varsity work after about a year.
Old Sun Oct 18, 2009, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

I had the a donor disc inserted for my surgery and have never looked back. I had my surgery in Sept. and was back on the field for the spring season. No complications and no problems for going on 18 years. I use the GD stance but used the knee and the box up till three years ago. You should be fine after surgery. Rehab and go do your games.
Old Sun Oct 18, 2009, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

I also am one of those that have had two back surgeries. Unfortunately, I recently tore some scar tissue surrounding the nerve, causing significant weakness in my leg. I'm slowly working my way back onto the field as my strength returns. As far as cervical surgery goes, I work with a fellow umpire who sustained a neck injury and was fused at the C-5 region. He's back working the dish, without any problems. You'll have to work with your PT, get strong and don't rush it, As mentioned above, work back into the dish slowly. Work the bases until you and your therapist feel you're ready and STRONG enough to work the dish. The cervical spine is a different animal than the L-S spine region. Listen to your doctor and therapist, work hard and your be back before you know it.
Old Sun Oct 18, 2009, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Mr. Umpire and Byron, I certainly would not and did not ask for a prognosis on my condition from this board, nor did I ask for my fellow umpires to assess the likelihood that I will be able to continue to umpire. I will leave that to the medical professionals.

If you and Byron read the OP, what I asked about is the experiences of anyone who has had this procedure... "I am wondering if anyone has had this type of surgery and has been able to resume umpiring, or whether they had to give it up."

Thank you to those who shared their experiences and advice, and I wish you all well. These will not influence the decisions I will be making, but its good to know that other people have been in this boat and how they handled it.

Mike
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTQ_Blue View Post
If you and Byron read the OP, what I asked about is the experiences of anyone who has had this procedure... "I am wondering if anyone has had this type of surgery and has been able to resume umpiring, or whether they had to give it up."
I certainly did read your post, and I saw the statement you quote above. And if all you want is other umpires' stories, then fine, you're in the right place.

But first you said: "I haven't discussed yet with the Dr. what if any limits I would have on my activities after fusion." That's why I thought that your primary questions concerned your own outcome and how long it would take you to return to umpiring.

Those are questions that you cannot reliably answer on the basis of a few stories from colleagues on the forum. If I'm wrong to think that this is the primary motivation of your post, feel free to say so. All I have to go on is what you type.

I hope that your surgery is successful and that you're back on the diamond in no time.