LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Coach Gerry Faust
Hey guys,

My first 2004 contract has arrived and, I am working
Linesman in a five man crew.
My first High School Varsity game was at the same position
and the referee asked me in the pre-game conference If I had a watch just in case the clock would stop.
I had a watch but it was not what I wanted to use if
we had an emergency.
Luckily the seasoned umpire said he would take the game clock with his watch if needed.
This year I will be prepared for the clock!
Does anybody have a favorite watch or, did you see one that
would be a great tool for the field.
I looked at the Honing's products but,I want some advice
before I purchase the wrong watch.

I would also like to know where you prefer to hang your watch. Is it from a lanyard or on you wrist.
Any help would be appreciated.
God Bless,
Coach "Fuzzy" Faust
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Coach:
I normally work as head linesman on our varsity crew. I use a Predator Freestyle watch that I got a couple years ago from Honigs. Works fine. Whatever you choose, practice with it before you work a game. A good way to do so is to stick a game tape in the VCR and practice timing along with the game.
Unless you're using a finger whistle, I wouldn't put a watch on a lanyard because it would get in the way of your whistle on the lanyard. I prefer to wear a watch on my left wrist since I'm right-handed.

Good luck!

Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, in your association your linesmen keeps the clock? Whily the LJ does nothing? IMO the HL has the chains, therefore the LJ should have the clock.

Anyways, definitely go with a wristwatch, just go to the store and play with them. Some watches have one button for start and one for stop, others are one button for both. I like timex because they are a good brand, its all personal preference. You also might want to make sure the watch has nightmode. That way you can turn it on and it will glow no matter what button you hit just incase it gets a little dark.

I personally have a watch that has button for start and one for stop. I like this because it ensures that I don't double hit it. Also it has a timer which you might even like so that it counts down instead of up. The watch I use is also alright for BJ for play clock.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

The Timex Ironman Triatholon, is by far the best digital watch on the market for a reasonable price. My first one lasted me about 6 years then the battery went, so i bought another. It does count-down, and count-up. It has the night-mode. And it takes a licken' and keeps on ticken'
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

My preference is big buttons and big numbers. The buttons need to offer some resistance but not too much so that if you are working in gloves you have to take the golve off to operate the watch.

The size of the numerals is important and as you get older it becomes more so. You want the numbers to be visible in the poorest of lights so that you can simply glance at the watch to get the time.

The watch I purchased last season was the NFL Watch from Honigs and it met my specs in every aspect. It also has a number of different bands so if you are wearing long sleeves you can position it over the sleeve.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I currently use a Casio, but in the past I've also used the Triatholon. I liked it because, unlike some watches, you couldn't accidentally reset it to 12:00. You actually had to hold the reset button down for a few seconds. I know a few folks who have had the NFL watch that Ed mentioned. It does have a lot of "accessories" like multiple bands, but almost everyone I know had a problem with the clips that hold the band on the watch. They broke; one of my friends actually lost the watch on the field. He eventually found it but not before some 240 pound lineman's foot also found it! Another problem area seems to have been the buttons. One of my colleagues had the start/stop button fall off.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I agree with Ed, get one you can see in all conditions.
I was a BackJudge for years and always carried a stopwatch.Our LJ always had countdown/countup watch.
Another note is always put a new battery in your watch before your 1st game.