The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Lets go back to the video.

ESPN Go to 58:39

Notice after the throw. PU is pointing and signaling the out, then goes 4 fingers up, ball 4. Then points to 1B. The conference and brouhaha doesn't continue until after the conference with Garrido. And if you watch further, you can see the PU make a reference to INT and Ball 4.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

This is freaking awesome. See what great conversations we can have when we use the rules reference. Well done all.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarilli View Post
So, which rule? You seem pretty adamant about this being a misapplication of rules. There is no such thing as a general misapplication only specific misapplications. So again, I ask which rule?
They misapplied the batter interference rule because this could not have been a batter's interference.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txump81 View Post
Lets go back to the video.

ESPN Go to 58:39

Notice after the throw. PU is pointing and signaling the out, then goes 4 fingers up, ball 4. Then points to 1B. The conference and brouhaha doesn't continue until after the conference with Garrido. And if you watch further, you can see the PU make a reference to INT and Ball 4.
I watched this a few more times, and all I can say is, "Wow." This was nothing short of a totally botched ruling. My original characterization of this being a 3rd trimester abortion stands.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Exactly the same as the play he's referencing. R1 had not reached 2nd yet when F2 made that throw either. EXACTLY the same scenario.
Sorry, no it's not.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Seriously?
That's putting it mildly.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2011, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
They misapplied the batter interference rule because this could not have been a batter's interference.
OK, I understand your reluctance to give me the rule reference. So, why couldn't it have been batter's interference? When on a 3-2 pitch with the R1 moving can the batter no longer be guilty of interference and why? Remember the catcher can not wait on a close pitch or check swing for the umpire's judgment before throwing to second. So if the batter or batter/runner can not be guilty of interference, does that mean on every three-two pitch that is ball four in this situation has carte blanche on his actions around the plate as long as they are not overtly intentional (eg grabbing the catcher's arm)?
Old Fri Jun 17, 2011, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, I understand your reluctance to give me the rule reference. So, why couldn't it have been batter's interference? When on a 3-2 pitch with the R1 moving can the batter no longer be guilty of interference and why? Remember the catcher can not wait on a close pitch or check swing for the umpire's judgment before throwing to second. So if the batter or batter/runner can not be guilty of interference, does that mean on every three-two pitch that is ball four in this situation has carte blanche on his actions around the plate as long as they are not overtly intentional (eg grabbing the catcher's arm)?

Look at the other side of the argument as well. If you're going to give the catcher the BI here, why wouldn't a coach have the catcher make that errant throw everytime and get the out?
Old Fri Jun 17, 2011, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But no one official has ever said they applied the batter interference rule. In fact, the only published report I've seen that mentions a rule mentions rule 2.50.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jun 17, 2011, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, why couldn't it have been batter's interference?
Because he's no longer a batter. The instant ball four crossed the plate, he's a batter-runner.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jun 17, 2011, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
But no one official has ever said they applied the batter interference rule. In fact, the only published report I've seen that mentions a rule mentions rule 2.50.
It is clear from the play that the PU wasn't utilizing 2.50; rather, he instinctively ruled batter's interference, which it was not. Heck, after realizing it was ball 4--he acknowledged as much--he didn't even follow through with the typical delayed dead ball penalty. Only after Augie complained did he get together with the crew and pull this incorrect ruling out of thin air.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2011, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is clear from the play that the PU wasn't utilizing 2.50; rather, he instinctively ruled batter's interference, which it was not. Heck, after realizing it was ball 4--he acknowledged as much--he didn't even follow through with the typical delayed dead ball penalty. Only after Augie complained did he get together with the crew and pull this incorrect ruling out of thin air.
Now that's funny
Old Fri Jun 17, 2011, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umptts43 View Post
now that's funny
+1

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jun 17, 2011, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

But true.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2011, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But true.
Oh wise one, please enlighten us. Explain the use of the "typical delayed ball penalty" regarding interference by a BR and which rule you're referring to. My book says, "Effect: The ball is dead..."

West Houston Mike