The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Ya know I like the Charcoal Gray as opposed to Heather Gray but in order to match my partner I need a pair of Davis, Hoenigs, Official choice and Smittys. They're all friggin different shades. I've given up trying to match my partner. Hey I have an idea lets all wear Heather Gray
Old Fri Jun 10, 2011, 12:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307 View Post
Ya know I like the Charcoal Gray as opposed to Heather Gray but in order to match my partner I need a pair of Davis, Hoenigs, Official choice and Smittys. They're all friggin different shades. I've given up trying to match my partner. Hey I have an idea lets all wear Heather Gray
I do not even know why people tried to match the color/brand in the first place. I bought the pants I liked and if it mattered to you that much, they had to match me. Also had a friend that worked for one of those companies that told me the brand he sold was not the best pair, so I never bought them. And I agree with you, I would almost rather go back to the Heather Gray for that same reason. I mean if I do not have the same brand of shirt should we by the same brand which are also different in color?

Peace
Old Fri Jun 10, 2011, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99 View Post
Would you take the field with a partner who is working the plate? His pants are obviously not plate pants. They are so tight around the legs that they barely fit over his shin guards. Because of this, his pants are about six inches too short. I was not working this game, but I was embarrassed to be watching it.
Can I wear Combo Pants?
Old Fri Jun 10, 2011, 01:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL_UMP View Post
Can I wear Combo Pants?
I always say that plate pants are fine for the plate, base pants are fine for the bases, and combo pants are fine for NEITHER. I own none and never will.
Old Fri Jun 10, 2011, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Our main problem here is that there is no place to easily change. Bathrooms are far away and if your games are running late...
Old Fri Jun 10, 2011, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Our main problem here is that there is no place to easily change. Bathrooms are far away and if your games are running late...
Wear tights and you can change in the parking lot without embarrassment (or unwanted attention from law enforcement).
Old Fri Jun 10, 2011, 06:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
It takes seconds to take the pants off and put another on. Trust me, they'll wait for you.

I wear tights, but a different pair on the plate. I change between my car doors, but there's always about 10 seconds where I'm a bit more, um, exposed than I'd like. And the Umpire's Locker Room is too much of a pain to use.

Still, combo pants suck.
Old Fri Jun 10, 2011, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Can I wear Combo Pants?
On some guys, plate pants are too big -- the combos work here.

On some guys, the base pants are too small -- the combos work here.

For (almost) no one does the combo work for both the plates and the bases.
Old Fri Jun 10, 2011, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Can I wear Combo Pants?
STL_UMP,

You can, but, based on personal experience, you'll regret it later.

JM
Old Tue Jun 14, 2011, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
STL_UMP,

You can, but, based on personal experience, you'll regret it later.

JM
Curious... why would that be?
Old Tue Jun 14, 2011, 10:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Curious... why would that be?
Because the legs are too baggy when working the bases and they're too tight when wearing shin guards.

I just found out (purely a coincidence) that I'm being provided one pair of combo pants for a tournament I'm working in August. I found out the model of pants and ordered plate and base pants (on my own dime) to use.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2011, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99 View Post
Would you take the field with a partner who is working the plate? His pants are obviously not plate pants. They are so tight around the legs that they barely fit over his shin guards. Because of this, his pants are about six inches too short. I was not working this game, but I was embarrassed to be watching it.
I'm sorry U99, but just so you know; I finally did get some longer pants, but they're still a lil tight.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2011, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Because the legs are too baggy when working the bases and they're too tight when wearing shin guards.

I just found out (purely a coincidence) that I'm being provided one pair of combo pants for a tournament I'm working in August. I found out the model of pants and ordered plate and base pants (on my own dime) to use.
Sk the tourney director if you can get a pair of plate or base instead, tell em you'll buy a pair of the opposite.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2011, 11:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Sk the tourney director if you can get a pair of plate or base instead, tell em you'll buy a pair of the opposite.
Too late, the pants are already ordered and shipped. I found someone to take the combo pants off my hands once I return.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2011, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

The question shouldn't be "would you take the field with this guy?" but "Why do some umpires show up to work looking like they slept in their clothes?" While I understand that certain people might be strapped financially, there should be no excuse for not washing and ironing shirts and pants along with dusting off shoes and putting on a little polish. For me showing up to umpire is the same as me showing up for work... While your apperance might not have anything to do with your performance it certainly sends a signal to those at the park and usually that signal isn't very favorable.