The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Good Solid Game. Coach of visiting team is very solid coach who while never really rude definitely likes to coach by intimidation and control. Over not only the players but likes to demonstrate it over the umpires if he gets a chance. Coach sits on the inside of the dugout on bucket and passes along pitch signals to the catcher. When ever he does not get the result he wants or wishes to have a conference at the pitchers circle he simple gets up and walks out onto the field. All the girls know that when he gets up and heads towards the dugout opening there is a meeting to follow. No acknowledgement to the umpire (either base or plate) of a request of time. By himself or catcher. The catcher also simple walks towards the pitcher. I don't say anything the first time allowing for the fact everyone knows what's going on. The second time I walk over to the base line between the circle and his dugout and as he passes I ask for him to acknowledge the fact that we have now had two conferences and that any future timeouts need to be requested and not assumed. Question? Would anyone have handled this any different?
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Bandit,

That sounds like a good way to handle it, 'cept maybe do it after the first trip. I will acknowledge a "non-verbal" request for time, but there has to be a request of some sort. It can be a point, or a nod or such, but the coach must wait until I call time. How did your coach react to your statement?

BTW; It's MY field until I leave it!
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
Bandit,

That sounds like a good way to handle it, 'cept maybe do it after the first trip. I will acknowledge a "non-verbal" request for time, but there has to be a request of some sort. It can be a point, or a nod or such, but the coach must wait until I call time. How did your coach react to your statement?

BTW; It's MY field until I leave it!
Well, no, it is not your field, the field and the game belong to the players. You are, however, the Sheriff and you do control the game.

As far as this coach goes, I would meet him as I do all coaches all the time on their way back to the dugout and inform him of the number of charged conferences left. I would also respectfully inform the coach that he needs to request time prior to entering the field of play.

If he choses to ignore you, the next time he stepped out of the dugout on his way to the pitcher, I would probably direct the batter to enter the box and instruct the pitcher to pitch.

One of two things will happen here:

1. The coach will turn and request time (and it better be politely )or
2. the coach will ignore you and about the time he gets to the pitcher, you will call a ball on the batter.

Now, this is where you need to be prepared to stand your ground. This putz WILL come toward you and yell, "I called time!". To which you should quietly reply, "No, sir, you did not, nor do you have that authority. I politely asked you to request time prior to entering the field of play diring a live ball and you failed to do this."

Keep the ball on your indicator and then inform him that he may now conduct his charged conference.

Please note that this is the extreme. If this is known of this coach, it would probably be wise to have the TD/League Coordinator discuss this point prior to a game, or cover it in your pre-game with the coaches.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Mr. Bandit,

Is this before or after you took away the game from his girls by calling all those illegal pitches? Or did you screw him over again because you don't like him? Maybe you should have a meeting with him in the lockerroom after the game?

Honestly, same coach, I asked him last tourney to acknowledge that he wanted time by AT LEAST holding up a hand when he leaves the dugout. He did so, but I'm sure it was reluctantly.

[Edited by FUBLUE on Dec 13th, 2004 at 02:42 PM]
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

It worked out pretty good....

"As far as this coach goes, I would meet him as I do all coaches all the time on their way back to the dugout and inform him of the number of charged conferences left. I would also respectfully inform the coach that he needs to request time prior to entering the field of play."

That is indeed what I did and while I did not get any type of verbal resoponse I did not have to worry about it as he never went out again. But I agree with your order of events / suggestions. Especially about the pregame meeting discusion as I'm sure we will cross games/paths again. Thank You

Actually Mr FUBLUE. He actually came up to me after yesterday's game and complimented me on how I did. Scary...propbally setting me up for the hs season. He knows he'll have to see me again. Probally before the winter season concludes. As far as the illegal pitches, he pitched the legal one for the entire game yesterday. Great game, 6 complete innings, 1 to 0.

Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Actually when this particular coach knows I'm on the plate, he does request time from me. And Mr. FUblue, I can attest to the fact that he did compliment Mr. Bandit. Like him, I don't know how sincere it was, but it did occur.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Mr FUBlue, Mr Bandit, and Mr MDBlue:

What's up with all of this "Mr" bidness????

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Mr ?

Total respect baby, total respect......
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

You gotta understand, that by saying "Mr." is the only way these 3 clowns will ever get any respect.

Actually the 5 of us are pretty good friends and work alot of ball together.

Bandit...Did FU relay the message?

Later Boys...Back to Lurking.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Message ???

About HS vs College ? If so, Yes he did. Clowns ? That sorta hurt. Have a happy holiday. Don't bother sending my present just bring it with you to Philly. I'll accept it then. See you in Mid January. Any one else going to Philly for the NCAA clinics ?
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Re: Message ???

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandit
About HS vs College ? If so, Yes he did. Clowns ? That sorta hurt. Have a happy holiday. Don't bother sending my present just bring it with you to Philly. I'll accept it then. See you in Mid January. Any one else going to Philly for the NCAA clinics ?
Clowns? I take that as a compliment! I mean, if the shoe fits!

And I'm going to Philly, too, Bandit!
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Correct me where I'm wrong

There are three defensive conferences per inning. Well, actually the coach can have as many as he wants, but he has to remove the pitcher on the third one and the pitcher can no longer pitch during that game. She can play another position, but she can't pitch. What about a pitcher that is removed prior to the third conference? Can she still pitch if she were removed , say on the second conference?

Also, since we've already had 2 conferences this inning, if the coach comes out for a conference with the new pitcher, she's gone, since this is the third conference, correct?

Also, does the defensive conference have to be with the pitcher to count toward the three conferences for the removal of the pitcher? Say the coach comes out to talk to his first baseman? It still counts, correct?

Thanks!
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Three freebies per game got to get her on the fourth one and yes she may still play another position if he goes for the fourth one, also remember that if he announce his intention of pulling her before the start of the conference it isn't charged, if she is removed earlier than that yes she can come back to the circle... yes they are cumulative and no a conference is with any defensive player first baseman centerfielder anyone
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Re: Correct me where I'm wrong

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
There are three defensive conferences per inning....
That's per game (7 innings), not per inning.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

I sit corrected

You're right. 3 per 7 innings. 1 additional per extra inning.

Thanks!