The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Would you take the field with this guy?

Would you take the field with a partner who is working the plate? His pants are obviously not plate pants. They are so tight around the legs that they barely fit over his shin guards. Because of this, his pants are about six inches too short. I was not working this game, but I was embarrassed to be watching it.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 09:46pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I'd put him on the bases, then offer to help set him up with the proper gear. If he declines the offer, I will bless him and move on. It is possible that nobody's helped him get the correct gear.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

What an arrogant question.
I'm embarrassed a "fellow ump" would post this....
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 10:14pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99 View Post
Would you take the field with a partner who is working the plate? His pants are obviously not plate pants. They are so tight around the legs that they barely fit over his shin guards. Because of this, his pants are about six inches too short. I was not working this game, but I was embarrassed to be watching it.

If you are assigned the game as the BU, you do your job on the bases. During your post-game with your partner, you might want to recommend that he get himself a pair plate pants. But under no circumstances would I not umpire the game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

How would you explain to your assignor why you decided to not take the game?

"I didn't like how my partner was dressed."

You'd get laughed at if you tried pulling that in any sport.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Let's not get too hasty here

While none of us would not do thew game, the original poster has a point. I've worked with people who made no pretext of looking professional, and it causes nothing but problems.

I worked two basketball games in the past year with a guy who has pants so small that his pocket insides stick out, he has white showing all around his waist. His shirt is wrinkled, his jacket looks like it came from a Goodwill store, and we had nothing but trouble all night long. I even tried to loan him a jacket. Your looks do say something about your competence as an umpire.

IN Baseball it is somewhat different because of the gear a plate man wears, and the fact that there is a distinct difference in PU and BU because of where they work, and what the do during a game. But a bad partner does not make you look good!

You have to say something to him in the postgame. What and how you tell him is something io have no answer to.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
While none of us would not do thew game, the original poster has a point. I've worked with people who made no pretext of looking professional, and it causes nothing but problems.

I worked two basketball games in the past year with a guy who has pants so small that his pocket insides stick out, he has white showing all around his waist. His shirt is wrinkled, his jacket looks like it came from a Goodwill store, and we had nothing but trouble all night long. I even tried to loan him a jacket. Your looks do say something about your competence as an umpire.

IN Baseball it is somewhat different because of the gear a plate man wears, and the fact that there is a distinct difference in PU and BU because of where they work, and what the do during a game. But a bad partner does not make you look good!

You have to say something to him in the postgame. What and how you tell him is something io have no answer to.
Of course this is all true...looking professional is a very important aspect of the job. But the question is whether we would work with an official who looked like the official in the OP.

I can say as a basketball official, I would say the equivalent would be an official wearing shorts and a collared T plus white shoes during a regular season game...and there's no way I would consider not working the game. I'd definitely have a word with the partner when appropriate...and you can bet an assignor is getting a word from me and probably both coaches.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Would you take the field with this guy?
Not twice.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 01:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurposegamer View Post
of course this is all true...looking professional is a very important aspect of the job. But the question is whether we would work with an official who looked like the official in the op.

I can say as a basketball official, i would say the equivalent would be an official wearing shorts and a collared t plus white shoes during a regular season game...and there's no way i would consider not working the game. I'd definitely have a word with the partner when appropriate...and you can bet an assignor is getting a word from me and probably both coaches.
+1
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 02:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Of course this is all true...looking professional is a very important aspect of the job. But the question is whether we would work with an official who looked like the official in the OP.

I can say as a basketball official, I would say the equivalent would be an official wearing shorts and a collared T plus white shoes during a regular season game...and there's no way I would consider not working the game. I'd definitely have a word with the partner when appropriate...and you can bet an assignor is getting a word from me and probably both coaches.
+2

Peace
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 06:12am
Official Forum Member

Why not? If he hustles and gets the calls correct his tight clothes simply smack of a bad economy or lack of polish. Maybe the guy is working games because that is his only source of income. I recall working with a guy who made all his calls with his left hand. Yes, all of them. It wasn't until a week or two later that I learned he had been in a horrific car accident that left him unable to raise his right arm to shoulder height. If the coaches didn't care, I certainly could look past it.

While many go out of their way to shine shoes, press clean trousers, wear the latest gear and show off new Oakleys/UA sunglasses, I'll take the partner who knows the rules and makes the correct call any day.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 08:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Why not? If he hustles and gets the calls correct his tight clothes simply smack of a bad economy or lack of polish. Maybe the guy is working games because that is his only source of income. I recall working with a guy who made all his calls with his left hand. Yes, all of them. It wasn't until a week or two later that I learned he had been in a horrific car accident that left him unable to raise his right arm to shoulder height. If the coaches didn't care, I certainly could look past it.

While many go out of their way to shine shoes, press clean trousers, wear the latest gear and show off new Oakleys/UA sunglasses, I'll take the partner who knows the rules and makes the correct call any day.
I'm not going to judge anyone for older uniforms or gear. But it's inexpensive and takes only a short amount of time to shine shoes. 5 minutes with a quick spray of water, some Kiwi, and a brush/cloth makes a pair of shoes look great. Anyone that walks onto a field with filthy shoes takes little pride in his appearance and there's a high positive correlation between people like that and people that don't umpire well. There are exceptions that, mainly, prove the rule.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
i'd put him on the bases, then offer to help set him up with the proper gear. If he declines the offer, i will bless him and move on. It is possible that nobody's helped him get the correct gear.
+10
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post

Ken Kaiser made all of his calls with his left hand for his entire carreer. To quote: "He's just as out with my left hand as he is with my right."
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I'd put him on the bases, then offer to help set him up with the proper gear.
I find it somewhat amusing that there are those that feel they have the authority to "overrule" their partner in matters like this, and "put him" at another position.
Yes, the years of experience or age differences can intimidate to get your way, but what if he says No? You actually dont have the power...

I had a varsity game this year where my partner, that I had never met before, asked me if I minded if he wore his catcher shin guards over his pants because he bought them at a thrift store and were too tight in the legs. "How bout I work the plate then", was agreeable to him, (thankfully)..