The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Gun on the field?

Ok, now that I have your attention. Small rec league one coach is a police officer, on duty in uniform with his duty belt on coaching 3rd. No issues but something in the back of my mind just seemed wrong about it. Is there anything in any rules about this?

Let's not get into the fact that he was on duty, small town the majority of activity is at the park during ball season so his presence there was probably justified, but I can see people arguing that too.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Don't think this is a good idea.

One of our local baseball teams is coached by a group of policemen and they are way too argumentative.

He may be a cop, but when he steps on the field he's an armed coach.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
Ok, now that I have your attention. Small rec league one coach is a police officer, on duty in uniform with his duty belt on coaching 3rd. No issues but something in the back of my mind just seemed wrong about it. Is there anything in any rules about this?

Let's not get into the fact that he was on duty, small town the majority of activity is at the park during ball season so his presence there was probably justified, but I can see people arguing that too.
A rule against a police officer in uniform coaching 3B? I know I've seen that rule someplace.

No one will argue his calls
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Sounds to me like an issue with the town police department.

He is either on duty or off duty. If on duty, what is his "duty" that can be performed while coaching a softball team? If off duty, what is he doing in full uniform and armed?
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Most LEOs carry concealed when off-duty, so just being out of uniform does not mean he will not be armed.

As a sworn LEO, he is entitled by law to carry when and where he pleases in his jurisdiction...in fact, many departments require a backup piece be carried off-duty.

If it were concealed, Im sure that would make people less anxious but I would think you would have a hard time convincing him to disarm completely. A pistol is a tool of his profession.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Most LEOs carry concealed when off-duty, so just being out of uniform does not mean he will not be armed.

As a sworn LEO, he is entitled by law to carry when and where he pleases in his jurisdiction...in fact, many departments require a backup piece be carried off-duty.

If it were concealed, Im sure that would make people less anxious but I would think you would have a hard time convincing him to disarm completely. A pistol is a tool of his profession.
OK, so I display my ignorance of police procedure, but I wouldn't try to convince him of anything. As I said, it is an issue (IMO) for the local chief of police, not the umpire.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Am I reading this right? Texans having an issue with a gun?

Now, that's funny
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

There's no way I'd allow a VISIBLE firearm on the playing field. If he has reason to (or is required to) keep it on his person while on the field, it's got to be out of sight. A visible firearm is far too intimidating to everyone else.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Local Cop Issues

I had a minor issue with a local cop in basketball. it was a local high school and he is the girls JV coach. We were discussing his inappropriate behavior on the sidelines. Things like out of the coaches box, loudly encouraging the fans, all 10 of them, to yell at us. So during a break we were having a discussion about his being out of the box and he keeps getting closer and closer till he is just about in my face, yelling at me. My perception was he was physically trying to intimidate me. Well he gets the T he so richly earned. Afterwards I started thinking about it and who would I call if he crossed the line-say he lost control and pushed me. My solution has been to just block out his team and now I don't get them on my schedule.
I have had several members of my family in law enforcement and I don't remember ever seeing a gun at family get togethers or any where for that matter. Visible Gun on the softball field -I dunno-sounds borderline stupid.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
I had a minor issue with a local cop in basketball. it was a local high school and he is the girls JV coach. We were discussing his inappropriate behavior on the sidelines. Things like out of the coaches box, loudly encouraging the fans, all 10 of them, to yell at us. So during a break we were having a discussion about his being out of the box and he keeps getting closer and closer till he is just about in my face, yelling at me. My perception was he was physically trying to intimidate me. Well he gets the T he so richly earned. Afterwards I started thinking about it and who would I call if he crossed the line-say he lost control and pushed me. .
9-1-1

School administrator

Lawyer

In that order.