The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 07, 2011, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

If you believe a coach is 'inciting' the crowd by yelling that a balk occured then you should retire or at least confine yourself to games where a tee and soft baseball are involved. You won't have to worry about coaches yelling "That was a balk." then.
Old Sat May 07, 2011, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
If you believe a coach is 'inciting' the crowd by yelling that a balk occured then you should retire or at least confine yourself to games where a tee and soft baseball are involved. You won't have to worry about coaches yelling "That was a balk." then.
If anyone was making that point, I'd agree. They should burn their gear, donate their unis to Goodwill and be forced to listen to Michelle Bachmann speeches on a loop for days at a time.

But, thankfully, I didn't notice anyone in this thread stating that. I certainly didn't. If you find someone did, let me know and we'll both call them OOO's.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Sat May 07, 2011 at 04:45pm.
Old Sun May 08, 2011, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Short Memory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Depends. Many conferences list "inciting/inciteful behavior" as grounds for an ejection. Example: a coach "yelling" from the dugout or a coach's box across the diamond his "opinion" of a call will not last long in most D-1 games in this area. He'll get one for free and an offer to come out and talk. If he declines and continues to be "loud" in his expression. He will leave.

I'll send you the lighter and arrange for Goodwill to come by and pick up the unis you won't be needing any more.
Old Sun May 08, 2011, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
I'll send you the lighter and arrange for Goodwill to come by and pick up the unis you won't be needing any more.

Nice try...no cigar. You are so willing to attempt to discredit others, you don't read what you copy and quote.

Lets examine the real facts:

You stated: "If you believe a coach is 'inciting' the crowd by yelling that a balk occured then you should retire or at least confine yourself to games where a tee and soft baseball are involved. You won't have to worry about coaches yelling "That was a balk." then."

I replied that I had done no such thing. In you attempt to prove me wrong you quoted me as having earlier written:

"Depends. Many conferences list "inciting/inciteful behavior" as grounds for an ejection. Example: a coach "yelling" from the dugout or a coach's box across the diamond his "opinion" of a call will not last long in most D-1 games in this area. He'll get one for free and an offer to come out and talk. If he declines and continues to be "loud" in his expression. He will leave."

Now then, put on your best reading glasses and find, for me, where I addressed anybody yelling "That was a balk", or in any general sense addressed a balk at all.

My post, as did other posts, (DavidB's for one) addressed the habit some coaches have of yelling across the diamond, in an inciting manner. I pointed out that conferences I have worked for called for an ejection if that behavior continued.

No mention of balk. I did not advocate ejecting anyone for yelling "That's a balk," Go ahead, read it again.

My point was, and is, if a coach continues to YELL across the diamond his disagreement with call, let's say a banger at first, he is exhibiting behavior that is inciting to the crowd and his team. If he continues doing so after being warned to stop, he will be ejected. This was specifically covered at an NCAA clinic and has been pretty well accepted by most umpires I know, even some from Illinois.

Does content matter? Of course it does. If the coach is yelling what a great ump and overall sweetheart I am, what the heck. But if he is one of those who likes to scream, "That's three you owe us!." He's not going to be around much longer.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Sun May 08, 2011 at 11:12am.
Old Sun May 08, 2011, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

The first time ANY coach yells anything similar to "Thats a Balk" he gets the look with the mask off. The second time he gets hold in so many words that there is only 2 people on the field that is going to use those words and he is not one of them. That might be inciting but I take this as serious arguing balls and strikes.

If the coach want to say some thing like "hey jerry can you watch this guys he isn't really pausing" and he says it in a respectful way and not trying to show me up, well then we don't have a problem.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 06:17am
Official Forum Member

The OP has been addressed numerous times. Some feel that a coach has no right to raise his voice while on a field. Others KNOW he does. Officiate however you need.

The content and timing of the coaches voice does matter. That is something I wrote long ago and I'm glad to see it is finally understood.

Others can insist that yelling an opinion is inciting, it isn't. The higher up you go the more you will know that this happens and such intensity is often ignored by worthy umpires. A stare in the coach's direction (mask on) is often all it takes to get the response we need. LaRussa tried it the other day and Drake handled it EXACTLY that way. A few days earlier, a controversial balk call was met with hoots and hollers from the offender's dugout. The ENTIRE crew ignored the yelling. In yesterday's Texas/NY game, Ron Washington was SCREAMING about a missed touch at first base. He was allowed to vent without being dumped for 'inciting', yelling, screaming, etc. MLB Quickpitch is on every morning and highlights what the best umpires do. Still, if you want to eject because a coach yells something that you can't handle otherwise, umpire away.

The OP does not warrant an ejection of the coach for yelling as he did. It's time to move on.

Last edited by MikeStrybel; Mon May 09, 2011 at 07:10am.