The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Pitcher turning the shoulders (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/69065-pitcher-turning-shoulders.html)

FTVMartin Thu May 05, 2011 09:52pm

Pitcher turning the shoulders

Had coach yelling for a balk tonight when pitcher was turning to look at first before coming set. I explained that this rule was changed several years back and is no longer a balk.

Does anybody remember what year this changed?

yawetag Fri May 06, 2011 01:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTVMartin (Post 756427)
Does anybody remember what year this changed?

What rule code?

dash_riprock Fri May 06, 2011 06:05am

FED, and it was about 3 years ago. They changed the rule to allow F1 to turn his shoulders to check a runner until F1 brought his hands together (not when he came set, which is what the rule should have been changed to).

mbyron Fri May 06, 2011 06:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTVMartin (Post 756427)
Had coach yelling for a balk tonight ...

Yelling? Do you allow that?

bob jenkins Fri May 06, 2011 07:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 756502)
Yelling? Do you allow that?

You can't stop it before it happens, and it appears he addressed it. Sheesh.

jdmara Fri May 06, 2011 08:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 756520)

1+ :D

-Josh

mbyron Fri May 06, 2011 08:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 756520)

You "address" yelling with explanations of the balk rule? That's not my idea of addressing yelling. :rolleyes:

IMO too many umpires fail to address coaches who yell, and that makes my job more difficult. I'm sorry you don't regard this issue as legitimate.

Coach Dykhoff Fri May 06, 2011 08:22am

Power Hungry?

Tim C Fri May 06, 2011 08:32am

~Sigh~

I don't allow "yelling" about balls/strikes or balks. I shut it down at once.

If that is considered "power hungry" by a rat, so be it.

T

bob jenkins Fri May 06, 2011 08:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 756525)
You "address" yelling with explanations of the balk rule? That's not my idea of addressing yelling. :rolleyes:

IMO too many umpires fail to address coaches who yell, and that makes my job more difficult. I'm sorry you don't regard this issue as legitimate.

The issue is legitimate, I just don't see it as part of the OP. And, a timely, accurate, calm explanation of the rule (in five words or fewer) can stop the yelling.

Adam Fri May 06, 2011 09:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Dykhoff (Post 756527)
Power Hungry?

New here?

Rich Fri May 06, 2011 09:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 756538)
The issue is legitimate, I just don't see it as part of the OP. And, a timely, accurate, calm explanation of the rule (in five words or fewer) can stop the yelling.

+1.

Shutting down the yelling can take many forms. It doesn't necessarily require a nuclear warhead.

FTVMartin Fri May 06, 2011 10:26am

This was a first base coach. Fed varsity game. Yelling may be a strong word for it. He was "exclaiming" "that's a balk" each time the pitcher turned to look at his runner.
After the second pitch that he did it, it clicked to me what he was talking about so I took a few steps toward him and said "coach, that's not a rule anymore. it changed about five years ago." HC asked me about it between innings and I gave hime the same explination.

In my mind this was a simple way to control the situation and I didn't hear another word the rest of the game.

MrUmpire Fri May 06, 2011 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 756541)
New here?

New ID.

This one claims to have played at USC, though a search of rosters back through the 50's doesn't show his name.

Maybe Dykhoff is more a descriptive noun than proper noun.

MD Longhorn Fri May 06, 2011 12:29pm

Resumes are cheap on the internet. I "played baseball" at the University of Texas... if you count showing up for open tryouts and getting struck out by both Roger Clemens and Calvin Schiraldi while they were really just warming up "playing baseball".