The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 06, 2011, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

How do you keep a coach from yelling in the first place? There is no rule against it. Being loud is not illegal unless you are working a game with a beeping ball.

'sheesh' was right.
Old Fri May 06, 2011, 03:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
How do you keep a coach from yelling in the first place? There is no rule against it. Being loud is not illegal unless you are working a game with a beeping ball.

'sheesh' was right.
Hmm, you seem to be taking a different tact. The obvious context was a coach yelling at an umpire. You're saying you allow that because it's not against the rules?
Old Fri May 06, 2011, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Are you guys seriously saying you'd eject, or in some other way try to put a coach "in his place" for the mere act of hollering, "That's a balk!" Really? Sounds to me like the OP handled this the way most umpires would handle it, self included. "Blue, you suck - that's a balk!!!!" Completely different situation. But just "That's a balk!!" said twice is not grounds to get your panties in a wad.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 06, 2011, 03:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Are you guys seriously saying you'd eject, or in some other way try to put a coach "in his place" for the mere act of hollering, "That's a balk!" Really? Sounds to me like the OP handled this the way most umpires would handle it, self included. "Blue, you suck - that's a balk!!!!" Completely different situation. But just "That's a balk!!" said twice is not grounds to get your panties in a wad.
I'd probably address it in some way, but nothing that involves raising my blood pressure. We can't have a coach yelling out "that's a balk" all game, but unless it's really persistent or inflammatory, I can deal with it.

We had a LHP who had a *great* move yesterday and I had to talk to a first base coach between innings who didn't think so much of it (he and the runner were the only ones picked off twice, though). I could've told him to send the head coach out, that I don't talk to assistants, but what good does that do? Short chat, we agreed to disagree, but at least he knew why I didn't call a balk. And life went on.
Old Fri May 06, 2011, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

Assistant coaches have a VERY short rope with me.

An assistant coach coaching first base would "say": "That's a balk!" possibly twice. Then it would be dealt with.

I guess I would start with the head coach and let him no if I dump his assistant he automatically gets restricted.

I am amazed that some of you would allow ANY assistant to continue to do something such as shouting (commenting): "That's a balk."

BTW, knowing the rule of when F1 can move his shoulders could be conveyed to the head coach at the end of the inning as he passes by: "Hey Skip, better help your first vase coach understand the rules we are playing under . . . "

T
Old Fri May 06, 2011, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
I am amazed that some of you would allow ANY assistant to continue to do something such as shouting (commenting): "That's a balk."T
I'm not saying I'd let him continue or wouldn't address it at all. Several here sounded like they were implying that the ASSt coach should have been tossed immediately. OP did "deal with" the coach and didn't let him keep on yelling - but was getting thrown under the bus for it. Didn't think he did anything differently than most of us REALLY would.

(Yes, I know that most of the umpires on here would eject someone a lot quicker in print than on the field).

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 06, 2011, 04:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I'm just axin'.
Old Fri May 06, 2011, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Assistant coaches have a VERY short rope with me.

An assistant coach coaching first base would "say": "That's a balk!" possibly twice. Then it would be dealt with.

I guess I would start with the head coach and let him no if I dump his assistant he automatically gets restricted.

I am amazed that some of you would allow ANY assistant to continue to do something such as shouting (commenting): "That's a balk."

BTW, knowing the rule of when F1 can move his shoulders could be conveyed to the head coach at the end of the inning as he passes by: "Hey Skip, better help your first vase coach understand the rules we are playing under . . . "

T
Your first and last points seem reasonably similar to what happened, according to the clarification. So, the middle points weren't needed.
Old Sat May 07, 2011, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Hmm, you seem to be taking a different tact. The obvious context was a coach yelling at an umpire. You're saying you allow that because it's not against the rules?

I had to work two games that went VERY late last night. Just awoke and saw your post. Mike (mcrowder) answered it perfectly. It is not against the rules for a coach to be loud, let alone state his opinion of the play. If he argues it we have a different story. In the OP, the coach did nothing wrong.
Old Sat May 07, 2011, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
+1.

Shutting down the yelling can take many forms. It doesn't necessarily require a nuclear warhead.
Well said, and usually the approach that I've taken on these types of plays.

Thanks
David
Old Sat May 07, 2011, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
It is not against the rules for a coach to be loud, let alone state his opinion of the play.
Depends. Many conferences list "inciting/inciteful behavior" as grounds for an ejection. Example: a coach "yelling" from the dugout or a coach's box across the diamond his "opinion" of a call will not last long in most D-1 games in this area. He'll get one for free and an offer to come out and talk. If he declines and continues to be "loud" in his expression. He will leave.
Old Sat May 07, 2011, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Depends. Many conferences list "inciting/inciteful behavior" as grounds for an ejection. Example: a coach "yelling" from the dugout or a coach's box across the diamond his "opinion" of a call will not last long in most D-1 games in this area. He'll get one for free and an offer to come out and talk. If he declines and continues to be "loud" in his expression. He will leave.
True, but most D1 coaches aren't going to be "yelling" across the field. They know what they can get away with, and usually go to the "edge".

D2 - D3 and HS coaches, they don't know and usually are the culprits. They generally go "over the edge" has been my experience.

Thanks
David
Old Sat May 07, 2011, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Edited to add: Just noticed that this was an assistant coach. He might not get the free one. Depends on what he's yelling. If he's keeping count of what I "owe him" he's certainly done.
Old Sat May 07, 2011, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

A number of us have already stated that there is nothing illegal about a coach stating his opinion on a play. He can do it loudly, as well. I have never seen a conference restrict that right. No, D-1 schools do not limit a coach's vocal volume. There are a number of rules about what he can say, when he can say it but not how loud he can do it.

Watch LaRussa work a plate umpire from the dugout some day. Paul Mainieri, Mike Gillespie, Chad Kreuter, Tim Esmay, Jim Morris, Mark Marquess, to name a few, are elite but volatile coaches who yell aplenty. The guys working those games know that yelling an opinion is not arguing. Commitment to that opinion may warrant further action and the rules allow us to handle them appropriately. No need to be an OOO.
Old Sat May 07, 2011, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Nothing OOO about taking care of business with a skip that is "inciting" the crowd or his team. Haven't seen a conference yet call that a bad ejection.

How does volume come into play? Neither the crowd or umpire would have heard it otherwise.

Dave Yeast used to have a name for umpires who left it up to others to take of business. I won't repeat it here.