Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 18, 2011, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool Obstruction??

Fed rules.

R2 and 2 outs.

Batter hits a clean base hit to LF. The R2 attempts to score. F7 fields the ball and makes a good throw home. F2 is set up in a blocking position on the 3B line. He has to "reach" for the throw to the 1B side of home plate, but "gloves" the throw before the R2 arrives. As he brings his mitt to a tagging position, the ball slips out of his mitt, the runner slides into him and is blocked from the plate. He immediately retrieves the ball without having to change his position and tags the runner before he can touch the plate.

What's your call and why?

JM
Old Fri Mar 18, 2011, 01:10am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Fed rules.

R2 and 2 outs.

Batter hits a clean base hit to LF. The R2 attempts to score. F7 fields the ball and makes a good throw home. F2 is set up in a blocking position on the 3B line. He has to "reach" for the throw to the 1B side of home plate, but "gloves" the throw before the R2 arrives. As he brings his mitt to a tagging position, the ball slips out of his mitt, the runner slides into him and is blocked from the plate. He immediately retrieves the ball without having to change his position and tags the runner before he can touch the plate.

JM
Do I wonder where you got this play from?

http://forum.officiating.com/739591-post25.html
Old Fri Mar 18, 2011, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fed rules.

R2 and 2 outs.

JM
From what you have wrote, I have an out. There is no mention of the runner being hindered or his path being altered. The ball arrived before the runner. I'm interpreting this as he dropped it while in the process of making a play. The ball was within a step and a reach. He picked it up and tagged the runner.

Now on the other hand, if he dropped the ball just before the runner started his slide or several feet from him, then I may have obstruction. HTBT
Old Fri Mar 18, 2011, 03:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fed rules.

R2 and 2 outs.

JM
OBS (Fed) (if there is no access to the plate)

If F2 is still blocking the plate without the ball due to juggling, mis-catch, etc. and without giving any access to the plate to the runner (as indicated in the OP), then OBS...

FED Case Book 2.22.1 SITUATION C: R1 is advancing to score when F7 throws home. F2 completely blocks home plate with his lower leg/knee while (a) in possession of the ball or (b) while juggling and attempting to secure the ball or (c) before the ball has reached F2. RULING: Legal in (a); obstruction in (b) and (c) if the catcher denied access to home plate prior to securely possessing the ball.

FED Rule Book 2.22 ART. 3 . . . The fielder without possession of the ball denies access to the base the runner is attempting to achieve.

OK, still HTBT...

A few minutes later... Just looked at Simply the Best's response at the address given. I guess we're in the same boat...

Last edited by cookie; Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 03:48am.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2011, 05:44am
Official Forum Member

Assuming that when JM says R2 "is blocked from the plate" he means completely "denied access to the plate," then cookie is correct. The case is almost exactly 2.22.1C(b).

I would not say HTBT, I would simply ask JM to clarify that the runner was completely denied access to the plate by a fielder without possession of the ball. If so, no further judgment is required.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2011, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump View Post
The ball was within a step and a reach. He picked it up and tagged the runner.
I thought the "step and a reach" concept only applied to a fielder who bobbled a batted ball.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2011, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fed rules.

R2 and 2 outs.

JM
"F2 is set up in a blocking position on the 3B line. He has to "reach" for the throw to the 1B side of home plate, but "gloves" the throw before the R2 arrives"

OBS. The answer is in the question. He is in the blocking position before possesion of the ball.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2011, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

jecicone: "F2 is set up in a blocking position on the 3B line. He has to "reach" for the throw to the 1B side of home plate, but "gloves" the throw before the R2 arrives"

OBS. The answer is in the question. He is in the blocking position before possesion of the ball."

If F2 does not juggle the ball but has it securely gloved before the runner has arrived, then he can block the plate all he wants, even if he has to reach out for the incoming throw. I once had a play where F2 blocked the plate by dropping his knee completely across the 3rd base side of home plate. The throw (which was off to F2's right side) reached his outstretched glove before the runner slid into his shin guards that were effectively blocking the plate. F2 swung his glove around (with the ball securely within) and tagged the runner out.

Though in a perfect world, if F2's leg weren't there, the runner's feet would have crossed the plate before the tag and been safe. BUT his contact with the F2's shin guards was not before F2 had secure position of the ball (according to the rule), so I called the runner out...
Old Fri Mar 18, 2011, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
Though in a perfect world, if F2's leg weren't there, the runner's feet would have crossed the plate before the tag and been safe. BUT his contact with the F2's shin guards was not before F2 had secure position of the ball (according to the rule), so I called the runner out...
Did F2's blocking of the plate alter the runner's attempt to advance to the base? Maybe not at the slide, but what about before? Did it cause the runner to move a different direction, slow down, or otherwise do something he wouldn't have done if the leg wasn't there?
Old Fri Mar 18, 2011, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
jecicone: "F2 is set up in a blocking position on the 3B line. He has to "reach" for the throw to the 1B side of home plate, but "gloves" the throw before the R2 arrives"

OBS. The answer is in the question. He is in the blocking position before possesion of the ball."

If F2 does not juggle the ball but has it securely gloved before the runner has arrived, then he can block the plate all he wants, even if he has to reach out for the incoming throw. I once had a play where F2 blocked the plate by dropping his knee completely across the 3rd base side of home plate. The throw (which was off to F2's right side) reached his outstretched glove before the runner slid into his shin guards that were effectively blocking the plate. F2 swung his glove around (with the ball securely within) and tagged the runner out.

Had your play happened in 2011, in Fed ball your call would have been in error. I suggest that we help those who view this site understand the current rule for Fed. The fielder must have possession ('secure possession' is redundant) of the ball before blocking a base that a runner is heading towards.

Enjoy your season.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2011, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fed rules.

R2 and 2 outs.

JM
I would have to call OBS on this play (I think). Once he drops the ball he does not have possession and thus he has no right to block the players from the base.

But, if F2 left room for the runner to get to the plate and the runner still runs into him, I might be inclined to go with the out. That's why I say I think.

I'm not going to reward a dumb R2.

Thanks
David
Old Fri Mar 18, 2011, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Had your play happened in 2011, in Fed ball your call would have been in error. I suggest that we help those who view this site understand the current rule for Fed. The fielder must have possession ('secure possession' is redundant) of the ball before blocking a base that a runner is heading towards.

Enjoy your season.
The FED wording isn't "block" it's "deny access to". And, if the runner isn't at the base, there's no access being denied.

I have nothing in Cookie's play.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2011, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fed rules.

As he brings his mitt to a tagging position, the ball slips out of his mitt, the runner slides into him and is blocked from the plate. He immediately retrieves the ball without having to change his position and tags the runner before he can touch the plate.

JM
Obstruction. Catcher did not have the ball when runner slides into him and is denied access to the plate.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2011, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If F2 does not juggle the ball but has it securely gloved before the runner has arrived, then he can block the plate all he wants, even if he has to reach out for the incoming throw. I once had a play where F2 blocked the plate by dropping his knee completely across the 3rd base side of home plate. The throw (which was off to F2's right side) reached his outstretched glove before the runner slid into his shin guards that were effectively blocking the plate. F2 swung his glove around (with the ball securely within) and tagged the runner out. .

My called is based upon the op posted. It is obvious that F2 did not have possesion of the ball, therefore he don't belong there. Whatif, couldof, shouldof, maybe and 30 other possibilities could happen but for this situation I have OBS. I also understand what FED says about "access" but, The op used the word "blocking", without a technical definition of what they meant. I assumed that it was denying complete access to the pate. OBS

By the way, I would have made the same call as you did for your situation. The fielder had possision prior to the runner arriving, unlike the op where the possesion was not secure because the ball slipped out.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2011, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Does not matter where catcher is setup or whether he has to reach for the ball. It matters whether he has the ball when runner slides into him and whether that position blocks access access to the plate.

This is pretty simple rule. Have called it only once this year. Catcher blocked the plate, runner slides into him before catcher had the ball, he caught it and slapped the tag on runner and I make the call.