The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 13, 2003, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA 1st play of the game(of course). The batter slaps the ball past the 1st baseman who charged on the play. The 2nd baseman fields the ball and is debating on taking it by herself or tossing ot the 1st baseman who is running along side of the runner (who was legally running in the lane). At the last second the 2nd baseman takes it herself. The out is made on the force just as the runner and the 1st baseman tangle up and fall down about 1ft. away from the base. There is no saftey base so the runner has to come over to the bag. At what point is this obstruction? I know this is a HTBT but give your thoughts.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2003, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

I wish that F4 had waved or called F3 off; any contact after that point I would have OBS. If there was a point where it was obvious to you (and should have been to F3) that F4 decided to make the play then I see OBS after that.

But if there is doubt in your mind if F4 was going to toss the ball or take it herself, then I feel that F3 was legitimately trying to make a play. Maybe interference at that point, but more likely a "wreck."

WMB
Old Sun Apr 13, 2003, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

It sounds to me that F3 was not making a play on a batted ball and was .... receive a thrown ball, so we can't call the B/R out for interfernce.

If the collision happened before F4 made the out, I believe that I would have to call obstruction... even if I thought F4 would have beat the B/R to the bag.

If the collision happened after F4 made the out, I believe the out would stand.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
The original post sounded like the base was touched before or concurrent with the contact ("just as the runner and the 1st baseman tangle"), so it apparently too late to be obstruction. The only question is whether the "1st baseman who is running along side" affected the runner's path or speed. If so, it could be obstruction and that is where you really HTBT.
I have to disagree with "even if I thought F4 would have beat the B/R to the bag". Contact before the out, yes call obstruction, but award the BR nothing. By definition, if the umpire thought the fielder would have beaten the runner, then the judgement is that the BR would not have reached even without the obstruction and therefore can not be awarded first.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Two points...

First, regarding F3:
The fielder has the right to obstruct the runner when she is attempting to field a batted ball, has possession of the ball, or is about to receive the ball. None were true in this case. F3 "legitimately trying to make a play" (i.e. be prepared to receive a thrown ball) makes no difference. Neither does the "train wreck" exculsion apply, since the ball did not arrive at all, let alone at the same time as the runner. As you describe it, it sounds like obstruction to me.

Second, regarding the award:
Quote:
By definition, if the umpire thought the fielder would have beaten the runner, then the judgement is that the BR would not have reached even without the obstruction and therefore can not be awarded first.
What? What definition? Is this a difference between NCAA and ASA?

If the collision happened after the out, then you've got nothin' ... otherwise, it is obstruction. (HTBT caveat, of course).
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Quote:
Contact before the out, yes call obstruction, but award the BR nothing. By definition, if the umpire thought the fielder would have beaten the runner, then the judgement is that the BR would not have reached even without the obstruction and therefore can not be awarded first.
If you call obstruction on F3, you MUST award the BR 1st base since by rule she cannot be called out between the two bases where the obstruction occured, and you can't put her back at home.

SamC
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

I did keep the call of out after discussion with both coaches and my base ump. I just wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do. I think if I had contact before the out it would have to be obstruction.