Thread: Obstruction??
View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 18, 2011, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
jecicone: "F2 is set up in a blocking position on the 3B line. He has to "reach" for the throw to the 1B side of home plate, but "gloves" the throw before the R2 arrives"

OBS. The answer is in the question. He is in the blocking position before possesion of the ball."

If F2 does not juggle the ball but has it securely gloved before the runner has arrived, then he can block the plate all he wants, even if he has to reach out for the incoming throw. I once had a play where F2 blocked the plate by dropping his knee completely across the 3rd base side of home plate. The throw (which was off to F2's right side) reached his outstretched glove before the runner slid into his shin guards that were effectively blocking the plate. F2 swung his glove around (with the ball securely within) and tagged the runner out. .

Though in a perfect world, if F2's leg weren't there, the runner's feet would have crossed the plate before the tag and been safe. BUT his contact with the F2's shin guards was not before F2 had secure position of the ball (according to the rule), so I called the runner out...
My called is based upon the op posted. It is obvious that F2 did not have possesion of the ball, therefore he don't belong there. Whatif, couldof, shouldof, maybe and 30 other possibilities could happen but for this situation I have OBS. I also understand what FED says about "access" but, The op used the word "blocking", without a technical definition of what they meant. I assumed that it was denying complete access to the pate. OBS

By the way, I would have made the same call as you did for your situation. The fielder had possision prior to the runner arriving, unlike the op where the possesion was not secure because the ball slipped out.