Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 02:22pm
In Time Out

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
In higher levels of Baseball there is a concept called "own your own call", or "take care of your business".
lol Also known as "take the easy way out".
Quote:
In your case, your job is to make the call at 1B. You need to own this call. If you go to your partner, or if your partner comes out and overrules you (which is exactly how it will be interpreted by everyone in the park)
Halt! The truly knowlegeable will interpret this as a solid team of officials getting the call right.
Quote:
then on every close play for the rest of the game you are going to get nothing but hassled, and if there is an argument, you will be asked to "appeal it to your partner, he had a better angle than you, etc". On every close play for the rest of that game you have made the PU your assistant base umpire.
Oh, BS. "Every"? "Appeal to partner" ? Game control, learn it. Life is tough, we're growing organs daily, get in line for a pair. "Take the easy way out" is for wimps.
Quote:
Now, everyone of us on the board who has participated in this discussion has a desire to get every call right, nobody wants to miss any call ever, especially a call like this at 1B.
I'd like to have 8 dark hours with Miss America, so what about "desires". Wishing is for children, doing the job right is proof of adulthood.
Quote:
If the PU is doing his job he has other things to worry about than checking for a foot touching the bag on this play. A good PU would have said to you, "in my judgment he did," (or words to that effect) as opposed to what he told you, because if he's doing his job, he won't have a perfect angle to see the play either. If he does have such an angle he's not doing his job.
Excuse moi, but wtf is PU doing on this play if he isn't following the ball and B-R up the line? BU is in B, No R2/R3 is indicated.
Quote:

What we are trying to tell you is:
A bunch more baloney.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Vader View Post
ok by me as this thread goes on there are fewer and fewer that I would take an assignment.
And with the attitude you're spewing out, there would be fewer and fewer games on your schedule as time goes by, so don't worry - you can remain a coach, now. Or a keyboard umpire. Or a fanboy.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Simply Lame-- Simply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply The Best View Post
lol Also known as "take the easy way out". Halt! The truly knowlegeable will interpret this as a solid team of officials getting the call right. Oh, BS. "Every"? "Appeal to partner" ? Game control, learn it. Life is tough, we're growing organs daily, get in line for a pair. "Take the easy way out" is for wimps.I'd like to have 8 dark hours with Miss America, so what about "desires". Wishing is for children, doing the job right is proof of adulthood. Excuse moi, but wtf is PU doing on this play if he isn't following the ball and B-R up the line? BU is in B, No R2/R3 is indicated.

A bunch more baloney.

Are you just trying to be offensive for the fun of it?

A: The "easy way out" is to run to your partner every time someone comes out of the dugout and complains about a call, or wear a set of rabbit ears hearing every comment from the dugout, and responding to it. The easy way out is to have so little respect for the game and the players in it you don't do your job and own up to your call.

B. If your umpires are working as a team on this play, then the PU is not in a great position to see this play, as he is looking for the legal slide at 2B, and then aware he might have a call at 3B using some mechanics. He sure as shooting is not going to come out an overrule a judgment call by his partner at 1B. Or do you make it a habit of throwing in your own opinion on every close call your partner makes?

C. Nice way to reveal you have one year of experience 20 times Simply. If you want to show you have guts (or whatever rude term you wish to use in print), then tell the person who started this thread to make the right call the first time, and not have to go to his partner to get his judgment. Do this stuff in an NCAA game and see how much trash you have to deal with coming from the dugout the rest of the day.

D. I have no idea what your ranting about with "8 hours with Miss America'. I guess you really don't give a hoot about getting calls right in a game, like most of us here do. Maybe I'll move to where you umpire, since getting calls right and game management doesn't seem to matter much to people where you work. Nonsensical responses don't make you look very good either.

E. The original poster told us he was in B, so he either has R1, or R1/R3. I assume it's R1, and if it is, the PU had better not be going up the line following the BR. Maybe if you read the post before attacking someone you might understand what they are saying. "Great" mechanics on your part if you are going up the line with your partner in B. Good luck this season, you and your partners will need it.

F. Thank you for your opinion Simply, I'd really enjoy working a game with you sometime, so we can find out who is full of lunch meat and who is filled with hot air being let out in a post.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm getting tired of bein lectured by umpires who are trying to sell there laxness to being ethical and honest and hove a 1000 excuses why they should sellout and not GET THE CALL RIGHT. I have looked in every manual form HS to NCAA and others and the instruction is ok the same. Forget about anything else and get the call right.

Forget about anything else and get the call right. so what it gets down to is that you are above the game and anything that will make your life easy is what you are going to do. Fine. go ahead, shame on you, don't expect me to bow to your low standards though.
So go and get the call right, for God's sake, and stop blubbering! While your at it, try buying a book on positioning and get into the right place to make the call. From the B, you should be able to move into position and adjust as needed and don't even think of arguing that you were in the right place. 30 years of umpiring and 10 years of evaluating for my association tells me that you were not in the right place.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm getting tired of bein lectured by umpires who are trying to sell there laxness to being ethical and honest and hove a 1000 excuses why they should sellout and not GET THE CALL RIGHT.

Forget about anything else and get the call right. (
So, Garth, the next time you're in B position and see a nice pitch down the middle that the plate umpire calls a ball, you're going to call time and inform everyone that we have a strike instead?
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

I think sufficianet viewpoints have been raised on each side of the issue. Go for help, provide help, or don't, depending on your views, the situation, the standards in your area, your partner, ...
Closed Thread