The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

NCAA Contact Rule

from the NCAA preseason test:

R2, one out. The batter singles up the middle and R2 attempts to score. The plate umpire has executed his mechanics perfectly and is ready for a possible collision tag. He notices there is a small portion of the plate available to the base runner. R2 does not slide to the open portion of the plate but veers toward the catcher and makes contact above the waist after the catcher has caught the ball. The contact was not flagrant but the base runner did not make a legitimate attempt to reach the plate but instead, attempted to dislodge the ball. The catcher dropped the ball on the collision.

a. The runner is safe and the ball remains live.
b. The base runner is out and the ball is dead.
c. The runner is out and the ball remains live.
d. The base runner is out and ejected and the ball is dead

I am trying to understand what a slide away from the open part of the plate, making contact above the waist in an effort judged to be an attempt to dislodge the ball is not flagrant or malicious.

2-30 defines flagrant collison as: A collision between a baserunner and fielder in which the runner maliciously attempts to dislodge the ball.

I recognize that the question states that it isn't flagrant contact, but then tells us that the runner solely tried to dislodge the ball without attempting a legitimate reach of the base.

I am content with my score and merely offer this question to help me understand what is expected before the whole mess begins next month. Thank you!
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Flagrant ==> Malicious ==> Attempt to injure.

So, in the test question, it's "only" an illegal slide, and thus an out. If it was flagrant, the player would be ejected.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Take this for what it's worth

Mike,

I think the NCAA is trying to give guidence on what is or isn't malicious. I'd be willing to bet that when people started looking at malicious contact ejections they heard and or saw a significant number of them being for hits above the waist which were not intent to injure, just to dislodge the ball. So the committee decided to add the language to help umpires fine tune their judgment.

At least that's what I took from what I heard in Chicago and have seen other places. Bob, I assume you were in Chicago, did you get the same impression?
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

I was in Chicago too and found the obstruction discussion ultimately confusing. My association is still discussing a play that trouble us and had to have Jim Paronto specifically rule on it!

I have looked over the book, supplement, CCA, and J/R but cannot find a definition for Malicious contact being an intent to injure. Unless we are clairvoyant, it is difficult at best to ascretain whether the player intended to injure the other. As with this question, the intent was to dislodge the ball. That leads me to believe that his goal was not to score but rather to put enough force on the opposing player where they would be forced to drop it. How is that not an attempt to injure?

Uggghhh. Thanks again for helping me understand this rule application.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

The correct answer is "C"
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
The correct answer is "C"
Not in NCAA, which is the rules code under discussion.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't done college ball in a while but, one thing for sure, in your games if you are letting a player attempt to dislodge a ball instead of getting to the bag and then playing with this fine line of malicious or not malicious, then your in for some long afternoons. Not to say that **it dosn't happen.

Why don't they just define malicious as only being called if the defensive player is "declared injured?"

Sometimes, you just have to officiate!
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

B

The NCAA re-wrote/amended the collision rule this year. Please read it. It's 8-7.

Collision Rule

SECTION 7. The rules committee is concerned about unnecessary and violent
collisions with the catcher at home plate, and with infielders at all bases. The
intent of this rule is to encourage base runners and defensive players to avoid suchcollisions whenever possible.

When there is a collision between a runner and a fielder who clearly is in
possession of the ball, the umpire shall judge: If the defensive player blocks the base (plate) or base line with clear possession ofthe ball, the runner may make contact, slide into or make contact with a fielder as long as the runner is making a legitimate attempt to reach the base (plate). Contact above the waist that was initiated by the base runner shall not be judged as an attempt to reach the base or plate.

(1) The runner must make an actual attempt to reach the base (plate).
PENALTY—If the runner attempts to dislodge the ball or initiates an avoidable collision, the runner shall be declared out, even if the
fielder loses possession of the ball. The ball is dead and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time
of the interference.

(2) The runner may not attempt to dislodge the ball from the fielder. Contact above the waist shall be judged by the umpire as an attempt by the runner
to dislodge the ball.
PENALTY—If the contact is flagrant or malicious before the runner touches the plate, the runner shall be declared out and also ejected from
the contest. The ball is immediately dead and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the
interference.

(3) The runner must attempt to avoid a collision if he can reach the base without colliding.
PENALTY—If the contact is flagrant or malicious after the runner touches the base (plate), the runner is safe, but is ejected from the contest. The ball is immediately dead and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the interference. If this occurs at any base other than home, the offending team may replace the runner. If the contact occurs after a preceding runner touches home plate, the preceding runner is safe. The ball is immediately dead and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the contact.

(4) If the runner’s path to the base is blocked and (1), (2) and (3) are fulfilled, it is considered unavoidable contact.
(See Rule 2-54, Obstruction.)
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
B

The NCAA re-wrote/amended the collision rule this year. Please read it. It's 8-7.
Yes, but it's substantially the same.

B would have been the correct answer last year, too.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

The answer is b according to the NCAA.

They cite 8-7a - Penalty

I understand that part of the ruling. However, the next part of the rule and penalty discuss what to do if the act is considered flagrant and malicious. It is difficult to see how a player veers away from the open part of the plate, makes deliberate contact with the fielder in an attempt to dislodge the ball and that does not qualify as flagrant. This is a crazy game we officiate, guys. Any guesses how often this call gets kicked this year?

Once again, is there a definition of flagrant/malicious contact in NCAA ball? Not an opinion, but an actual definition. Thanks.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
The answer is b according to the NCAA.

They cite 8-7a - Penalty

I understand that part of the ruling. However, the next part of the rule and penalty discuss what to do if the act is considered flagrant and malicious. It is difficult to see how a player veers away from the open part of the plate, makes deliberate contact with the fielder in an attempt to dislodge the ball and that does not qualify as flagrant. This is a crazy game we officiate, guys. Any guesses how often this call gets kicked this year?

Once again, is there a definition of flagrant/malicious contact in NCAA ball? Not an opinion, but an actual definition. Thanks.
There is a definition of flagrant -- it means malicious. Beyond that, you'll have to go to the dictionary.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 05:01pm
Veteran College Umpire

According to Dictionary.com
"What is malicious intent? It means that whatever action you took was done with the clear intent to cause harm, damage, injury, or death."

That a bit more severe than trying to dislodge the ball. We get to decide which act the runner is trying to commit, and our penalty is meted out accordingly.

JJ
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 07:26pm
Stop staring at me swan.

The rule is very clear now. Contact above the waist, you're done for the day unless it's unavoidable...

On another note, can somebody please post the College test and the answers?

I think they also released the entire test question bank. If you can PM me with that, I'd appreciate it.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
The rule is very clear now. Contact above the waist, you're done for the day unless it's unavoidable...

Read it carefully. Contact above the waist still requirea a judgment that it was malicious for an ejection.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 07:55pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Hmmm...thanks Rich. The league I umpire only uses the college collision rule at home plate. Certainly a runner that comes in standing up and walks into the tag has created contact above the waist, but is certainly not going to be ejected. After reading your post, I will certainly read it again...but perhaps I didn't write it as concisely as I should have.