The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Question No contact rule?

Sitting in the bleachers watching a 12 year old travel team game, B1 hits a ground ball to F3 who goes to his right to field it. F3 knocks down the grounder and beats the batter-runner to the bag. F3 ran across the bag into foul territory and batter-runner runs into F3. BU makes a good strong out call as it was a fairly close play. PU calls BU over to talk about the contact (I can hear them) between the BR and F3. BU calls BR safe, back to first, and tells def. coach there is a "no contact rule" and his fielder violated that rule, therefore the call at first is safe. Coach calmly talks with BU for a very short period of time and begrudgingly accepts the call. He latter asked me about the play and if I have ever heard of such a rule before. I replied "I don't think I have". I thought the rulebook covered situations that involved contact very well. I don't understand why a "no contact rule" would be put in place. (obviously the safety of the players) I guess I think the rule may have been misapplied in this situation. Any comments or experiences with a rule like this? If no contact was allowed between runners and fielders you could never have a tag-out, right?
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
There is no 'no-contact' rule. If you want your kids to play a no-contact sport then have them play tennis.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblanton
Sitting in the bleachers watching a 12 year old travel team game, B1 hits a ground ball to F3 who goes to his right to field it. F3 knocks down the grounder and beats the batter-runner to the bag. F3 ran across the bag into foul territory and batter-runner runs into F3. BU makes a good strong out call as it was a fairly close play. PU calls BU over to talk about the contact (I can hear them) between the BR and F3. BU calls BR safe, back to first, and tells def. coach there is a "no contact rule" and his fielder violated that rule, therefore the call at first is safe. Coach calmly talks with BU for a very short period of time and begrudgingly accepts the call. He latter asked me about the play and if I have ever heard of such a rule before. I replied "I don't think I have". I thought the rulebook covered situations that involved contact very well. I don't understand why a "no contact rule" would be put in place. (obviously the safety of the players) I guess I think the rule may have been misapplied in this situation. Any comments or experiences with a rule like this? If no contact was allowed between runners and fielders you could never have a tag-out, right?
No contact rules tend to be crafted by the local league and as often as not are not well thought out. Without access to the league rule book we can only guess whether the rule was correctly applied.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblanton
Our local leagues have a No Collision rule, but the onus is on the runner,not the fielder, to avoid the contact. On the play you described the fault for the collision was on the runner. The PU had no business interfering with the call, which, as described, was correct.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Jim,

Would you mind posting the "no collision rule" your league uses. I'd be interested to see it.

Tim.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire
No contact rules tend to be crafted by the local league and as often as not are not well thought out. Without access to the league rule book we can only guess whether the rule was correctly applied.
A travel team could fall under most any local rule, but most travel teams play competetive ball without rules like this, assuming it really existed and PU was not just full of bull.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
There is no 'no-contact' rule. If you want your kids to play a no-contact sport then have them play tennis.
Or Chess!
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Or Chess!
I'd only play chess if it was full-contact!
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Or Chess!
I'd guess you aren't up on the version played at Hogwarts
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 12:09am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Ever play men's doubles?
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 12:10am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire
No contact rules tend to be crafted by the local league and as often as not are not well thought out.
Bro, truer words.