View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

NCAA Contact Rule

from the NCAA preseason test:

R2, one out. The batter singles up the middle and R2 attempts to score. The plate umpire has executed his mechanics perfectly and is ready for a possible collision tag. He notices there is a small portion of the plate available to the base runner. R2 does not slide to the open portion of the plate but veers toward the catcher and makes contact above the waist after the catcher has caught the ball. The contact was not flagrant but the base runner did not make a legitimate attempt to reach the plate but instead, attempted to dislodge the ball. The catcher dropped the ball on the collision.

a. The runner is safe and the ball remains live.
b. The base runner is out and the ball is dead.
c. The runner is out and the ball remains live.
d. The base runner is out and ejected and the ball is dead

I am trying to understand what a slide away from the open part of the plate, making contact above the waist in an effort judged to be an attempt to dislodge the ball is not flagrant or malicious.

2-30 defines flagrant collison as: A collision between a baserunner and fielder in which the runner maliciously attempts to dislodge the ball.

I recognize that the question states that it isn't flagrant contact, but then tells us that the runner solely tried to dislodge the ball without attempting a legitimate reach of the base.

I am content with my score and merely offer this question to help me understand what is expected before the whole mess begins next month. Thank you!