The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 23, 2010, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Umpire Confrontation

Iv'e been hearing sportscasters saying todays Umpires are more confrontational than ever. I recently found this from the 69 WS. Listen closely around 18 sec mark. You can hear HPU Shag Crawford yell to Earl Weaver (in the dugout) "You shut your God Damn mouth!!!" he then walks over and yells some more while pointing in the dugout.
Of course Weaver then comes out and gets tossed. I think it was the first WS ejection of a manager. Thoughts, comments?

YouTube - Earl Weaver Tribute: 1969 World Series
Old Sat Oct 23, 2010, 01:12pm
Stop staring at me swan.

There's no way they're more confrontational now. I haven't even been alive that long.

I'm a firm believer in not standing there and taking endless abuse. Yes, we have to be composed to a point...but there also comes a time when the umpire has a right to say a few words too w/o being called confrontational.
Old Sat Oct 23, 2010, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

We umpires do not have to take the abuse some coaches want to dish out. Every now and then we are going to miss a call. That does not give a coach the right to come out and unload on us.

I think there are two kinds of coaches, the kind that will come out and discuss the play, and realize we are human and even if they believe we missed the call, will accept it and return to the dugout without throwing a temper tantrum.

Then there are the jerk coaches that come out and argue every close call that doesn't go their way. (Read Daddy coaches). I will run these jerks at the first opportunity because they neeed to learn there are some things a coach cannot do.
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the video.

God bless Shag Crawford. And Weaver did make the Hall of Fame for Fing up the 71 World Series and did not win more games than he lost in WS (8-9) competition just as Haller said.

Can you find the video and audio of Jerry Crawford from a game of the week years ago. Believe it was the Astros with Niekro pitching. Jerry had a few words for the catcher who was trying to show him up when he thought Jerry missed a pitch. Seems like the catcher had been missing and dropping the ball all day long also.
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12 View Post
Iv'e been hearing sportscasters saying todays Umpires are more confrontational than ever. I recently found this from the 69 WS. Listen closely around 18 sec mark. You can hear HPU Shag Crawford yell to Earl Weaver (in the dugout) "You shut your God Damn mouth!!!" he then walks over and yells some more while pointing in the dugout.
Of course Weaver then comes out and gets tossed. I think it was the first WS ejection of a manager. Thoughts, comments?

YouTube - Earl Weaver Tribute: 1969 World Series
Earl Weaver seemed uncharacteristically calm in this situation. Could it be he was taking the heat for someone else in the dugout running at the mouth. Of course, Crawford baited Weaver and knew damn well he was going to turn around and toss him. He even looked over his shoulder to see Weaver following him.

Then again, I don't know why an umpire would scream anything at a player or coach, let alone argue with one. An umpire who argues with anyone on the field is a fool.
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
An umpire who argues with anyone on the field is a fool.
Color me foolish.
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
An umpire who argues with anyone on the field is a fool.
Unfortunately, human beings are used for officiating and not robots.

Never saying never is also foolish too. But it happens all the time, and if it has never happened to you, then I suggest that maybe you haven't done enough games.
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Unfortunately, human beings are used for officiating and not robots.

Never saying never is also foolish too. But it happens all the time, and if it has never happened to you, then I suggest that maybe you haven't done enough games.
Let's see, I'm in my 45th year of umpiring, baseball and softball. I think I've got enough games under my belt.

I'm not talking about a protest, but when was the last time you saw an umpire lose an argument on the field? So, why get your blood pressure up and risk having a player or manager show you up? Let them have their say, thank them for their input and move on with the game. If they cross the line, simply inform them of their dismissal and get a substitute, if necessary.
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let's see, I'm in my 45th year of umpiring, baseball and softball. I think I've got enough games under my belt.

I'm not talking about a protest, but when was the last time you saw an umpire lose an argument on the field? So, why get your blood pressure up and risk having a player or manager show you up? Let them have their say, thank them for their input and move on with the game. If they cross the line, simply inform them of their dismissal and get a substitute, if necessary.
Thank you for your input.

(moving on....)
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Thank you for your input.

(moving on....)
See, even Upstaters get it.
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I couldn't agree more, but in 45 years it has never happened to you?

Your my idol.
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I couldn't agree more, but in 45 years it has never happened to you?
Didn't really say it "never" happened to me, but then you need to determine to what level of argument we are discussing.

Early on in the 60's when I was young an foolish, I would start to argue, but was too young and naive to get nasty like some of these folks seem to do.

I have never gotten red-in-the-face mad and nose to nose with anyone. I have talked back and occasionally been a smart-***, but it is the years of experience that taught me how to forego the ulcers and high blood pressure.

Every umpire has their own manner of dealing with it, but I'd rather not become the center of attention on the field.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I have never gotten red-in-the-face mad and nose to nose with anyone.
Then you dont know what you are missing. This needs to take place at least once every couple of years or whats the fun in it......
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 03:16pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjong View Post
Then you dont know what you are missing. This needs to take place at least once every couple of years or whats the fun in it......
Now, Jon, remember your blood pressure....

JJ
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I suggest that maybe you haven't done enough games.
Holy crap are you freaking kidding?

West Houston Mike