View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12 View Post
Iv'e been hearing sportscasters saying todays Umpires are more confrontational than ever. I recently found this from the 69 WS. Listen closely around 18 sec mark. You can hear HPU Shag Crawford yell to Earl Weaver (in the dugout) "You shut your God Damn mouth!!!" he then walks over and yells some more while pointing in the dugout.
Of course Weaver then comes out and gets tossed. I think it was the first WS ejection of a manager. Thoughts, comments?

YouTube - Earl Weaver Tribute: 1969 World Series
Earl Weaver seemed uncharacteristically calm in this situation. Could it be he was taking the heat for someone else in the dugout running at the mouth. Of course, Crawford baited Weaver and knew damn well he was going to turn around and toss him. He even looked over his shoulder to see Weaver following him.

Then again, I don't know why an umpire would scream anything at a player or coach, let alone argue with one. An umpire who argues with anyone on the field is a fool.