The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 27, 2010, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

Forfeit of Game

Bear with me guys; I'm trying to make my way thru the 2010 NCAA Rule Book (though in bits and pieces). I appreciate all of your responses so far...

Another question regarding the UIC forfeiting a game, NCAA rules: I have always thought that if a player, coach, authorized team member gets ejected but refuses to leave the game, the UIC could have the game forfeited by that offending team. I don't quite understand what "...the game is suspended..." means in NCAA Rule 5-12-f.

NCAA 5-12-f:
"SECTION 12. A game shall be forfeited only as a last resort; however, a
game may be forfeited by the umpire-in-chief, after consultation with the
umpiring crew, in favor of the team not at fault in the following cases:

f. If the order for the removal of a player, coach or team personnel is not
obeyed, the game is suspended until the order of removal is corrected
(see 3-6-d)."

If I am reading this correctly, if a coach absolutely refuses to leave the field, the game is suspended (to a later date, NOT FORFEITED), even though the line in Section 12 says "the game may be fofeited by the UIC...in the following cases:" And there are a-thru-h cases listed.

Am I reading too much into this case (f)? Can the game be forfeited by the UIC if a coach just does not want to leave the field?

Last edited by cookie; Mon Sep 27, 2010 at 03:21am.
Old Mon Sep 27, 2010, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

If the coach doesn't leave, the umpires do.

Let the conference sort it out.
Old Tue Sep 28, 2010, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

"...If the coach doesn't leave, the umpires do..."

Bob, I've never seen a game forfeited, but I have observed umpires (in Rec games) issue an ultimatum to a reluctant-to-leave ejected coach that if he doesn't leave the ballpark, the game would be forfeited.

So, in spite of the wording of the NCAA rule 15-12-f, the general practice would be for the umpires to leave the field if they encountered a recalcitrant ejected coach?

Last edited by cookie; Thu Sep 30, 2010 at 09:08pm.
Old Tue Sep 28, 2010, 09:25pm
Veteran College Umpire

The NCAA said umpires are no longer to forfeit a game, rather (as Bob said), let the conference and NCAA sort it out. This was done to help deal with games where brawls broke out - in the good old days if you got enough ejections the game was a forfeit. Now, no matter how many ejections you get, you do not declare a forfeit. You just stop the game and report it to the appropriate NCAA, conference, and school athletic directors. They then have the option of "staggering" suspensions so games can continue to be played (since suspensions for brawling are multiple game suspentions).

JJ
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Bob.

As umpires it's not a good idea to answer questions about Forfitures player / coach punishment etc as that is left up to the leagues to enforce.

I live in NY and during the HS season if we toss a player/coach they MUST sit out the next game, HOWEVER, if ANY of the coaches says

"Pete can my player play in the next game, etc."

I simply say "Check with your AD". After the game I simply write up a brief report of the EJ and E-mail it in to my assignor who forwards it to the AD. I do NOT get involved with punsihments replaying of games etc.

As Bob said if we toss a coach and he refuses to leave we as umpires leave, send in a report and it's up to the league to determine if the game is replayed or not.

Pete Booth
Old Sat Oct 02, 2010, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Umpires never forfeit a game, the offender does.

In amateur games, I always advise the umpires if the coach will not leave, quietly leave the field. The league will sort out the mess. Never give any ultimatums and no matter what the rules say, never forfeit a game. Leagues are notorious for not backing the umpires and coaches and parents can gang up on a pair of umpires. It isn't worth the trouble. Let the league deal with it.
Old Sat Oct 02, 2010, 09:38pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Here's a question related this...how many of you get paid before the game begins?

Right now, we're paid at the end of the game because many of the teams pay us with money they've earned from the gate. I would like to change that precedent, but it's tough to argue when they say they're using that day's gate money which obviously hasn't been collected by the time we have to be on the field.

What are some ways to negotiate around this? Thanks.
Old Sat Oct 02, 2010, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Here's a question related this...how many of you get paid before the game begins?
During the summer, my organization gets paid before the game. Depending on the league, either the home coach has all of it, or the home and away coach split it.

If you're working for the league (not an organization contracted to the league), it's going to be tough to change what's being done. If it's a contract, your organization can get the contract changed to state money is paid up-front.
Old Sun Oct 03, 2010, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post

Right now, we're paid at the end of the game because many of the teams pay us with money they've earned from the gate. I would like to change that precedent, but it's tough to argue when they say they're using that day's gate money which obviously hasn't been collected by the time we have to be on the field.
IMO, that's BS.

Have whoever collects the money pay you up-front and use the gate receipts to get reimbursed himself / herself.
Old Sun Oct 03, 2010, 10:50am
Veteran College Umpire

I agree with Bob. They should set aside some of the money from the PREVIOUS game's gate to pay the umpires BEFORE the game....

JJ
Old Mon Oct 04, 2010, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Y'all are lucky. Generally, we get a check - usually in the mail... occasionally at the end of the day (peewee at least).

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 04, 2010, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Depends on what type of game working. I don't like getting paid after the game, because I am ready to leave and sometimes payee not too happy. It is rare to get paid after game, I am having hard time remembering a case. Regardless of when, I don't worry about it too much. I have never not been paid. That would result in assigner/word of mouth problem for getting umpires for future games. I got a check the mail today for a double header two weekends ago. I knew it was coming, like clockwork..

Last edited by DG; Mon Oct 04, 2010 at 09:37pm.
Old Tue Oct 05, 2010, 01:08am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
sometimes payee not too happy.
What are you unhappy about?
Old Tue Oct 05, 2010, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
What are you unhappy about?
Simple typo error was clearly obvious to all those who did NOT reply. This is what I get for not signing in first, so my ignore list will kick in.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 02:46pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Simple typo error was clearly obvious to all those who did NOT reply. This is what I get for not signing in first, so my ignore list will kick in.
Sorry about that, Shemp. I was wrong in thinking that you knew the difference between PAYER and PAYEE. You're now on my ignorant list...........