The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveshane67 View Post
is the sarcastic wise *ss reply necessary???

a simple, "no, the run doesnt count" would suffice just fine.

not that its gonna matter to you one bit bc you are firmly affixed to your high horse, but i was reading a thread on another forum and saw this question. i knew of this forum so i figured id ask here to help the other person out.

that being said, if you truly dont know and were asking a legitimate question, i apologize. but, if that is the case, there is no need to re ask the same question i asked in the first place.
Wow.

His answer wasn't wise@$$ or sarcastic. Generally, we assume posters here to be umpires. if you aren't one, it helps to say so... If someone comes here and asks a question as simple as this one, there's nothing wrong with the answerer walking the asker through the logic behind how the answer should have been derived. Telling an umpire the answer without telling him why or leading him the way is like giving someone a fish instead of teaching him how to fish.

If there's a high horse here, sir ... it is you that is on it.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
thats lovely.

if i asked "if the batter missed third base on a HR, would the other runners on base runs count" would that receive a cryptic sarcastic reply as well?

the reason i ask is bc i would assume the answer would be no, and that an actual response, maybe with a rule mixed in, would be given. thus one could only deduce that a certain "obscure" rulebook question threshold would have to be crossed to receive a straight answer. which would lead me to ask why my original question was deemed so mundane that it couldnt be answered legitimately.
Wow... don't feed the trolls, guys.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Bob's answer was not sarcastic. It might have come across as patronizing, but I don't think it was meant that way. A sarcastic answer would have been:

"Sure the run counts. The batter hit the ball over the fence, didn't he? It doesn't matter what any other runners do or how many outs there are. (See Smitty's Guide to Baseball Rules, page 214.) Two things always to remember in baseball: (1) the batter's run always counts on a home run, and (2) the hands are part of the bat."

The only part of the answer that bothered me was preceeding.
Old Thu Jul 08, 2010, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
if i asked "if the batter missed third base on a HR, would the other runners on base runs count" would that receive a cryptic sarcastic reply as well?

the reason i ask is bc i would assume the answer would be no, and that an actual response, maybe with a rule mixed in, would be given.
Your assumed answer is incorrect, so we would necessarily have to show you the rule (again):

Quote:
4.09 HOW A TEAM SCORES

(a) One run shall be scored each time a runner legally advances to and touches first, second, third and home base before three men are put out to end the inning.
EXCEPTION: A run is not scored if the runner advances to home base during a play in which the third out is made (1) by the batter-runner before he touches first base; (2) by any runner being forced out; or (3) by a preceding runner who is declared out because he failed to touch one of the bases.
If the batter-runner missed 1B and was appealed, that would qualify under exception #1 and no runs would score. But it was 3B that was missed, so this doesn't apply.

There were no force outs, so exception #2 doesn't apply.

The batter (who missed 3B) was the trailing runner, so exception #3 doesn't apply.

Therefore, score the other runners.
Old Thu Jul 08, 2010, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i dont play baseball, i dont umpire baseball, heck, i hardly even watch baseball, so, i dont care about pouring over the rulebook, or purchasing manuals.
So why the hell are you on this site asking simple questions that can be easily researched by someone who does care and complaining about answers received? Wrong place to play with your attitude.

Last edited by DG; Thu Jul 08, 2010 at 11:16pm.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2010, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
quick question,

2 outs, runner on 1st misses 3rd base on a HR. defense appeals, does the batters run count?
You will find the answers under rule 11.

1. What day of the week is it? There are different rules dpending upon which day you are talking about.

2. Does this run mean game over and we get to go home

3. Does the kid who hit the HR have a GLM

4. What mood I am in. If I had a fight with the wife I might want to stay longer so I most likely will NOT count the run. vs. a situation where the temps are in the 90's and the guys are going out for some cold ones after the game then the run counts.

It a nutshell the answer to your question is

IT DEPENDS

Pete Booth
Old Sat Jul 10, 2010, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Most excellent! LOL