The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 23, 2001, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I was reading some OBR in which it stated an appeal to a base where more than one runner had passed the fielder must identify which runner is being appealed.

SIT: bases loaded batter hits an infield homer and R3 starting from 1st misses 3rd base the fielder would have to state the appeal at 3rd was for R3. If the wrong runner is identified no appeal would be upheld.

Maybe I just missing it but in the ASA rule book I dont see where the runner would have to be identified just the base a runner missed even though more than one runner has passed that base??

Thanks

Don
Old Fri Feb 23, 2001, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Cool appeals

Although it does not state it specifically in the rulebook.....there is implicit intent that the defense must know WHO they are appealing for WHAT offense.

The ASA book does NOT allow for guessing games.....See POE #1-G.

Appeals like......."She...(pointing to the offender) missed 2nd base".....or "The runner from 1st did not touch third".....would be proper appeals.

Appeals like....."One of the runners did not touch 2nd" would result in a big ol' SAFE sign from me.

Joel
Old Fri Feb 23, 2001, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Joels right on top of this one. The defense is appealing a violation during a certain part of the play. If there were multiple runners and the defense simply said a runner missed the base, the umpire cannot rule because one of the runners may have touched the base. I don't know how anyone can expect an umpire to be specific if the defense making the appeal is not.

Also, while ASA does give the umpire discretion to ignore appeals if he judges them to be merely guessing, a team does NOT lose it's right to appeal if they are incorrect on their first request.