The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

appeal play

quick question,

2 outs, runner on 1st misses 3rd base on a HR. defense appeals, does the batters run count?
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveshane67 View Post
quick question,

2 outs, runner on 1st misses 3rd base on a HR. defense appeals, does the batters run count?
Isn't R1 a preceeding runner to BR? Can any run score when a preceeding runner has made the third out?
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Isn't R1 a preceeding runner to BR? Can any run score when a preceeding runner has made the third out?
is the sarcastic wise *ss reply necessary???

a simple, "no, the run doesnt count" would suffice just fine.

not that its gonna matter to you one bit bc you are firmly affixed to your high horse, but i was reading a thread on another forum and saw this question. i knew of this forum so i figured id ask here to help the other person out.

that being said, if you truly dont know and were asking a legitimate question, i apologize. but, if that is the case, there is no need to re ask the same question i asked in the first place.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

He wasn't being sarcastic--he was trying to point you to the rules basis so that you could figure it out for yourself, which will likely stick with you better than if he had just answered, "No."

Edit: By the way, you didn't mention a rule set, so assuming OBR, this would be rule 4.09a, which I'll quote below:

Quote:
4.09 HOW A TEAM SCORES

(a) One run shall be scored each time a runner legally advances to and touches first, second, third and home base before three men are put out to end the inning.
EXCEPTION: A run is not scored if the runner advances to home base during a play in which the third out is made (1) by the batter-runner before he touches first base; (2) by any runner being forced out; or (3) by a preceding runner who is declared out because he failed to touch one of the bases.
Your play exactly matches exception #3.

Last edited by celebur; Wed Jul 07, 2010 at 01:27pm.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Whoa there Mr. Questions. Most of the participants on this forum spend a lot of time studying and reading many books and manuals, including the rule books, to learn this stuff.

The one you choose to disrespect (Bob) happens to be one of the more knowledgeable members.

Bob is more of a gentlemen than I so, next time you need a rule question answered, get off your lazy butt and look up the rule yourself. Then you can really impress your friends, and don't only have to ACT, as though you know something about the rules.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

steveshane67,

If you're too lazy to look it up yourself there's no reason to accuse bob of being a "wise a$$" or suggesting he is "firmly affixed to (his) high horse" - because he's not.

You might want to read Rule 7.12 .

JM
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur View Post
He wasn't being sarcastic--he was trying to point you to the rules basis so that you could figure it out for yourself, which will likely stick with you better than if he had just answered, "No."
its not like i was asking if the runners on base, who kept running after the 3rd out was recorded, and crossed home would count.

if i asked "if the batter missed third base on a HR, would the other runners on base runs count" would that receive a cryptic sarcastic reply as well?
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
steveshane67,

If you're too lazy to look it up yourself there's no reason to accuse bob of being a "wise a$$" or suggesting he is "firmly affixed to (his) high horse" - because he's not.

You might want to read Rule 7.12 .

JM
did it ever occur to you that someone might have tried to search for it but didnt see it and didnt feel like thoroughly reading through 13 pages of rules (sec 7 is 13 pages) when they could spend 5 seconds posting a question on a rules forum.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
did it ever occur to you that someone might have tried to search for it but didnt see it and didnt feel like thoroughly reading through 13 pages of rules (sec 7 is 13 pages) when they could spend 5 seconds posting a question on a rules forum.
steveshane,

Yes, it did.

You're welcome.

JM
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 01:38pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Or you could go to MLB.com which has fully searchable pdf's for your reading pleasure.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 01:41pm
Stop staring at me swan.

another way to ask your question is to post a few rules that you already looked up and couldn't figure them out. you'll get a lot more credit on here for at least attempting to do some leg work on your own first.

yes, it is faster sometimes to just ask on here...but many on here will teach you to fish as well. I've always learned more when I read about the rule and the ridiculous amount of manuals I've purchase over the last few years.

lighten up on Bob...it's good to make friends on here
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Or you could go to MLB.com which has fully searchable pdf's for your reading pleasure.
thats where i originally tried to search. the problem was i searched for "missed", as in missed base, when the MLB rule talks about failure to touch. the only pertinent runner rule with "missed" doesnt address the appeal being the 3rd out and following runners runs not counting.

but thanks again.

i just wonder why this post

Does not touch first base

received nothing but legit helpful responses, but mine didnt?

i even know the answer to the question.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Steve --

1) My original response was offered in the spirit of the "give a man a fish...teach a man to fish" saying.

2) You'd be surprised what else you can learn by looking through the "13 pages" of rules.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
another way to ask your question is to post a few rules that you already looked up and couldn't figure them out. you'll get a lot more credit on here for at least attempting to do some leg work on your own first.

yes, it is faster sometimes to just ask on here...but many on here will teach you to fish as well. I've always learned more when I read about the rule and the ridiculous amount of manuals I've purchase over the last few years.

lighten up on Bob...it's good to make friends on here
maybe im missing something.

my post was a simple yes or no question that should be a very easy question for any baseball ump to answer with a simple yes or no.

as you can see by my first followup post, i have nothing to do with the question, i was simply trying to help someone else out, bc i knew of this forum, and i knew it was a simple yes or no question.

i dont play baseball, i dont umpire baseball, heck, i hardly even watch baseball, so, i dont care about pouring over the rulebook, or purchasing manuals.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i just wonder why this post

Does not touch first base

received nothing but legit helpful responses, but mine didnt?

i even know the answer to the question.
Sometimes it depends on who answers first.

I will point out that a follow-up question in that thread elicited the following response: "I and most on this forum could easily tell you but I listed the rule from the book in post #2. See if you can figure it out. Learn on your own and it will be much clearer for you. "

That's similar to the advice you received.

Quote:
i dont play baseball, i dont umpire baseball, heck, i hardly even watch baseball, so, i dont care about pouring over the rulebook, or purchasing manuals.
Ah -- most to whom that description applies include that information in the OP. Had that been the case, I would have realized you were not interested in fishing, and just given you the information to take back.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Wed Jul 07, 2010 at 01:57pm.