The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 31, 2010, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Question From a Fan Re Hit By Pitch

Saw something happen today in an MLB game that raised a question in my mind:

Braves/Phillies: With a runner at first base, a Phillies batter may or may not have gotten grazed by a pitch. The ball got away to the screen, and the runner at 1st went to 2nd while the home plate ump told the batter to go to first on the hit by pitch. After Bobby Cox questioned the call, all four umpires gathered, and it was determined that it did not hit him. The batter was brought back to home plate to continue the at bat.

Meanwhile, the runner stayed at 2B. Now, ultimately, he deserved 2B because the ball got by the catcher to the screen, and the Braves had no play on him. But, I got to thinking about something: When the umpire called the hit by pitch, did he not create a dead ball? In other words, would this not be similar to the old inadvertent whistle in football where he killed the ball by calling the hit by pitch?
Old Mon May 31, 2010, 09:30pm
Stop staring at me swan.

More information...was it a check swing? In terms of getting the play right. If the ball hit him or not the runner would've achieved 2B. If they left him there, they got the play right.
Old Mon May 31, 2010, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

No. He made no effort to swing at it. As the pitch got past the catcher, the plate umpire raised his hands and pointed to 1B (just like you always see umpires do on a hit by pitch). When Cox questioned it, the plate ump called the other three guys in. After they talked, they decided to bring the batter back and left the runner at 2B.
Old Mon May 31, 2010, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

If you undo the HBP you undo the dead ball. So the runner gets 2B on the WP.
Old Mon May 31, 2010, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

I don't see the problem, even the announcers got it right. No HBP, R1 advances on the wild pitch, Charlie M gets a runner at second and still finds a way to get ejected. What a marooon.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 05:12am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
I don't see the problem, even the announcers got it right. No HBP, R1 advances on the wild pitch, Charlie M gets a runner at second and still finds a way to get ejected. What a marooon.
Houston Pitcher Roy Oswald got ejected in the 3rd inning yesterday for allegedly arguing balls and strikes (he said he was just mad at himself and not talking to the ump). His team went on to lose 14-4........

Last edited by grunewar; Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 05:16am.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Houston Pitcher Roy Oswald got ejected in the 3rd inning yesterday for allegedly arguing balls and strikes (he said he was just mad at himself and not talking to the ump). His team went on to lose 14-4........
It's Oswalt...

Two fans also got tossed for running onto the field. I'm guessing that they and Roy just didn't want to be around any longer - although watching a 4-run outpouring from that offense would have been worth watching - a rare occurence indeed.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan10 View Post
Saw something happen today in an MLB game that raised a question in my mind:

Braves/Phillies: With a runner at first base, a Phillies batter may or may not have gotten grazed by a pitch. The ball got away to the screen, and the runner at 1st went to 2nd while the home plate ump told the batter to go to first on the hit by pitch. After Bobby Cox questioned the call, all four umpires gathered, and it was determined that it did not hit him. The batter was brought back to home plate to continue the at bat.

Meanwhile, the runner stayed at 2B. Now, ultimately, he deserved 2B because the ball got by the catcher to the screen, and the Braves had no play on him. But, I got to thinking about something: When the umpire called the hit by pitch, did he not create a dead ball? In other words, would this not be similar to the old inadvertent whistle in football where he killed the ball by calling the hit by pitch?
For all those who did not see the game, here is a link to the incident (including the subsequent ejection)
Charlie Manuel Ejected on an overturned HBP
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 11:14am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
It's Oswalt....
Thanks for the correction, my bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Two fans also got tossed for running onto the field. I'm guessing that they and Roy just didn't want to be around any longer - although watching a 4-run outpouring from that offense would have been worth watching - a rare occurence indeed.
Certainly more common than the "9 spot" hung on the board by the Nats - their first ever as non-Expos!
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 12:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
If you undo the HBP you undo the dead ball. So the runner gets 2B on the WP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
This is correct. I had almost the exact thing last weekend. With R2, I thought a low pitch grazed the batter, called Time as the ball went to the backstop. It rebounded back to F2, but R2 had already reached 3rd, so there was no possible play. Both the batter and F2 said that the ball didn't hit the batter, so I reversed the HBP and left R2 at 3rd, much to the displeasure of F2.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 05:27pm
In Time Out

Quote:
So why was Oswalt pointing at and walking towards HPU Bill Hohn and saying , "That one's on you. That one's on you".

No brainer ejection. You could tell Oswalt was fixing to get the heave ho.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What thread you responding to?

Back to this one, I don't think I have ever called a HBP and then reversed after discussion with partner. Can't say I have ever missed one that was convinced by partner after discussion either. If he saw it he should have called it if I did not. That is a pregame item, the previous is not.

If in doubt watch the batter, see what he does, if he starts trotting 1B you have decision to make, if not he help you make decision.

Last edited by DG; Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 11:41pm.