The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 29, 2002, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

First game tonight 12U.........

Pitcher is toeing the pitchers plate with her hands together........and at her side.........

I get the defensive coach and pitcher and explain that she must toe the PP with hands seperated and then after simulating taking the signal her hands can come together and she can begin the pitch.......

After that she does fine.........toes PP with hands seperated........BUT.......when she brings them together.......she kind-of turns her body.......and brings her hands (together) to her side..........then begins the pitch..........

Offensive coach wants an IP call because he says she has to keep her hands in front.........

It looked strange.........but I told him there was nothing illegal about it........

Thoughts?

Joel
Old Mon Apr 29, 2002, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

A rules interp for another couple of organizations I work in explained that the purpose of this requirement is to prevent a quick pitch - take/simulate taking signal with hands apart - and that as long as the pitcher was not violating the intent of the rule, IP should not be called. He explained this to me after I had banged a college pitcher for this very thing and ended it with "Don't call that again." So, unless there's a quick pitch, I do not call that one in ASA, Fed, or college. It's considered a technical violation rather than a real violation.

Steve M
Old Mon Apr 29, 2002, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

At first.......she was borderline quick pitching.......as soon as the batter got settled......she started the pitch......

I always hold a pitcher till I am ready and have a batter reasonably set in the box.......

My main question was regarding bringing her hands together at her side (almost behind her).........

It looked funny........but as I said........I saw nothing illegal about it.....

Joel
Old Mon Apr 29, 2002, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulf Coast Blue
First game tonight 12U.........

Pitcher is toeing the pitchers plate with her hands together........and at her side.........

I get the defensive coach and pitcher and explain that she must toe the PP with hands seperated and then after simulating taking the signal her hands can come together and she can begin the pitch.......

After that she does fine.........toes PP with hands seperated........BUT.......when she brings them together.......she kind-of turns her body.......and brings her hands (together) to her side..........then begins the pitch..........

Offensive coach wants an IP call because he says she has to keep her hands in front.........

It looked strange.........but I told him there was nothing illegal about it........

Thoughts?

Joel
Yeah, I've got a thought. I think the coach should tell me where to find that rule in the ASA book.