The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Game tonight - 10U softball, I'm doing plate. Fastpitch, or as fast as they get at that age. Anyway, this one pitcher is very good - fast, but also has very good control. As I was watching her motion as she was warming up I noticed that when she steps on the plate she has her shoulders slightly turned. Instead of having her shoulders even with first and third, she has them turned about 15 - 25 degrees off. Not much, in fact I couldn't really notice it behind the plate, but when I was watching her warmup I noticed. This league uses ASA rules but has them modified for the grade, so this is not supposed to be called an illegal pitch, but I wondered if you guys had seen this before and when would call an illegal pitch (assuming she's a little older and playing with full ASA rules) - is being slightly out of line enough or would you wait for it to be pronounced.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Leave it alone

Leave it alone, if you go looking for that green sticky stuff on the end of someone's nose, you usually end up with the stuff in a baby's diaper.
This as you describe it is not worth messing with, especially with that age bracket

Scott
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

OK, Especially at that age. If I can see the shoulder of the throwing arm the entire time thru delivery I'm ok.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

15-25 degrees? Doubt I would bother with that at any age. At the younger ages, I might quietly mention it to the girls coach so he would be aware. They can work on it at practice. Then when and if it is called in a game, it won't frustrate her mechanics. Somewhere along her career, some opposing coach will pick that up and try and use that to his advantage.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Yeah, let it go. We're not supposed to pick our battles on the field, but that one's not worth messing with. Talk to the coach, let him know it's not right and walk off.