The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 08:44am
Veteran College Umpire

New MLB DH Question

Summer adult league, MLB rules with DH allowed. Overall rule knowledge by umpires, coaches, players is suspect. Here's what happened -

Team A presents a 9-man lineup at home plate. The PU and head coach of Team B do not notice that Team A has listed their pitcher as "P/DH". He pitches until the 6th inning, and is then taken out as pitcher. You guessed it - he comes up to bat in the 7th as the "DH".
NOW something starts to click with everyone.
The Team B coach says "He's an illegal player, so it's an automatic forfeit." He DOES protest the game at that point.
The Team A coach says, "No, you can list a pitcher as "P/DH" and keep him as DH if he's taken out as pitcher."
Umpires huddle up and say, "Well, it COULD be just a batting out of order thing."
Like I said, overall rule knowledge is suspect.
So how would you sort it out?

JJ
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

JJ,

Illegal substitution. Don't allow it.

Bring up the pitcher who came in for the starter (or his sub, if that's what his manager wants).

JM
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

A pitcher once removed from the game cannot be the DH. The DH cannot be added to the lineup in the 6th inning, but must be in the original lineup and bat for the pitcher's spot (6.10). So Team A is wrong about all that.

If the pitcher has just come up to bat and taken his place in the batter's box, it's an illegal substitution (3.06). Unless the league has a special rule permitting a forfeit (which I doubt), an illegal sub should be ejected. The proper batter would be whoever replaced the pitcher in the lineup.

If the pitcher has not yet taken his place in the batter's box, I would prevent the illegal substitution and get the proper sub up to the plate.
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Are NCAA rules for this different? Seems I remember the University of Texas doing exactly this with Brooks Kieschnick a few years ago.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

mbcrowder,

Yes they are, and it would be perfectly legal under NCAA rules to have a player initially designated both F1 and DH, be replaced as F1, and continue as DH.

JM
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
mbcrowder,

Yes they are, and it would be perfectly legal under NCAA rules to have a player initially designated both F1 and DH, be replaced as F1, and continue as DH.

JM
Which is probably why the team thought it was legal.
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
If the pitcher has just come up to bat and taken his place in the batter's box, it's an illegal substitution (3.06). Unless the league has a special rule permitting a forfeit (which I doubt), an illegal sub should be ejected. The proper batter would be whoever replaced the pitcher in the lineup.
Agreed, I think. The "illegal sub" is still a sub. So, the current pitcher (S1) is now out of the game. Someone not currently in the line-up needs to bat and there needs to be a new pitcher next inning (the batter and the pitcher can be the same player).

Quote:
If the pitcher has not yet taken his place in the batter's box, I would prevent the illegal substitution and get the proper sub up to the plate.
Definitely agreed on this part.
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post

Summer adult league, MLB rules with DH allowed. Overall rule knowledge by umpires, coaches, players is suspect. Here's what happened -

Team A presents a 9-man lineup at home plate. The PU and head coach of Team B do not notice that Team A has listed their pitcher as "P/DH". He pitches until the 6th inning, and is then taken out as pitcher. You guessed it - he comes up to bat in the 7th as the "DH".
NOW something starts to click with everyone.
The Team B coach says "He's an illegal player, so it's an automatic forfeit." He DOES protest the game at that point.
The Team A coach says, "No, you can list a pitcher as "P/DH" and keep him as DH if he's taken out as pitcher."
Umpires huddle up and say, "Well, it COULD be just a batting out of order thing."
Like I said, overall rule knowledge is suspect.
So how would you sort it out?

JJ
the question has been addressed however I have a question to the OP.

If there are only 9 players listed in the lineup and you are not playing by NCAA rules, if you see "DH" next to a name, why are you not questioning this?

I know the OP was not the umpire in this game but this can happen. It is obvious that the manager had NCAA experience and the umpires did not. The problem I have is how can you list 9 players and designate one as a DH in a non-NCAA game? Why didn't the umpire question this?

This is why we are supposed to have lineup cards and we should know how to read them!
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 01:24pm
Veteran College Umpire

Remember in the OP I said "Overall rule knowledge is suspect"?

JJ
Old Fri May 28, 2010, 11:05pm
Stop staring at me swan.

In NCAA does the F1/DH have to be declared on the lineup card if they're going a straight 9 or is it assumed meaning they could simply put F1 on the card as F1 and still use him as DH if they make a change?
Old Sat May 29, 2010, 05:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
In NCAA does the F1/DH have to be declared on the lineup card if they're going a straight 9 or is it assumed meaning they could simply put F1 on the card as F1 and still use him as DH if they make a change?
If the pitcher is listed in the starting batting order, he automatically becomes the DH.