The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 13, 2010, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Dropping down a notch on your own

Hi all:

Did you ever "drop a level" on your own or contemplated dropping a level on your own?

here is what I am referring to

I do not officate basketball but I have friends that do. Some refused promotion to varsity preferring to stay at the modified level where they have a 5 Qtr. continuous clock and basically no hastles from the coaches where the varsity games are intense and you have to deal with the coaches. Some requested on their own a "drop down" back to the modified JV level.

Same is true for baseball. As a varsity official we all get our fare share of modifed / JV games (to help out the new umpires). At least in my area the JV games were a breeze and on average 1hr. 45 minutes to 2 hrs. compared to some varsity games that I had this year that lasted 2:45 to 3 hours plus the grief that comes with it.

I have talked to a few buddies and they to are contemplating whether or not to give up the varsity schedules and simply go back and do modified / JV.

Therefore, I at least often ponder - is it worth it?

Granted it all boils down to one's umpiring goals but at least for me I find the lower level games much more enjoyable (which after all is why most of us got into this in the first place)

I tend to think (obviously not in all cases) that one gets to a point in their officiating careers where you simply get tired of the bu*****t that comes with the so called BIG GAME or higher level ball.

Therefore, have you ever wanted to drop back down again for the simple fact that you were tired of the BS and found the lower level modified / JV game much more enjoyable.

Pete Booth
Old Thu May 13, 2010, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Talking

I did my last semi-pro baseball game in 2001. I did my last college baseball game in 2003. I did my last men's league game in 2005.

I only do High School and below baseball/softwall now as I don't want to put up with the coaches/players/fans who think I am a whipping boy for their frustrations.

I have also mellowed out some as I am not so fast on the trigger anymore.
NFHS Class #1 softball/baseball
ASA/USSSA
Dayton, Ohio

I have been umpiring so long that it was called Rounders when I started.
Old Thu May 13, 2010, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

my .02

I think we all have done this or will do this within the scope of any officiating career...

I have moved up, down and sideways as the demands on my life, family and career have changed......

I moved up and out of youth ball.....then out of umpiring totally when the kids came.......then back in at the youth level, then up to HS and Legion and MSBL, semi pro and some limited D3....

I am now mostly HS/COLT/Legion.....and with my career now, often times in the HS arena I am limited to the saturday JV games since it is hard for me to get off regualrly at 3:00PM for day games......(Old Boss/old ob, was much more accomodating to me in umpiriring than the new one.....)

As I get older I can see me moving down a notch or two to accomdate lifes changes......

There is a place in umpiring for all umpires......knowing when, and what level to move to is the key......
Old Thu May 13, 2010, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post
Hi all:

Same is true for baseball. As a varsity official we all get our fare share of modifed / JV games (to help out the new umpires). At least in my area the JV games were a breeze and on average 1hr. 45 minutes to 2 hrs. compared to some varsity games that I had this year that lasted 2:45 to 3 hours plus the grief that comes with it.
My experience is completely the reverse of this. With the better pitching and hitting, my varsity games are much shorter than JV. I have not had a Varsity game run over 2:00 this year with most coming in at around 1:45 - 1:50.

On the other hand, I had a JV game run nearly three hours that included six pitching changes, too many fielding errors and numerous BOB's.

Give me Varsity anyday.
Old Thu May 13, 2010, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
My experience is completely the reverse of this. With the better pitching and hitting, my varsity games are much shorter than JV. I have not had a Varsity game run over 2:00 this year with most coming in at around 1:45 - 1:50.

On the other hand, I had a JV game run nearly three hours that included six pitching changes, too many fielding errors and numerous BOB's.

Give me Varsity anyday.
That has been my experience too. A good varsity game usually lasts about 1:30 - 2:00 hours (all HS games are doubleheaders here). Soph games often go longer because the pitching isn't nearly as good; freshman games aren't too bad because in the local conference here they are 6 inning doubleheaders with no inning starting after 3 hours 45 minutes after the start of the first game. I did a 13 year old game a few weeks ago that lasted 2:45. Felt like about 5 hours.

It has also been my experience that I hear far less pissing and moaning from varsity baseball coaches than from lower level ones. The lower the level, the worse that gets in my opinion. Varsity coaches around here understand how things work and the sportsmanship in general is pretty good on their end. I couldn't care less what the fans have to say. I do a few 13/14 year old games during the season, but primarily stick to high school. That might change in the future, who knows?
Old Thu May 13, 2010, 07:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Usually the higher the level, the more you get paid. I would rather get the most money for the same time if I am going to leave my house and officiate anything.

Also I never buy the "varsity is more hassle than a middle school game" argument. A lot of times the lower the level the more hassle it is because the folks have little perceptive or talent to make the experience enjoyable.

We all make choices in life. If you want to work down or strive to work up that is really a personal decision. I just do not think it makes life easier either way.

Peace
Old Thu May 13, 2010, 07:16pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I think some guys refuse to work to improve their skills or update their equipment so it might be "easier" to take the lower level game and still work at the same level you started at or regressed to as well. In the lower level games the expectations are lower for umpires, therefore some can get by being a bit lazy or out of position or have a floating zone, etc. Not saying this is the OP, but rather a reason why some might prefer working lower level games than once before. To each his own I guess.
Old Thu May 13, 2010, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

I just loved it this year. After a couple of years off because of knee surgery and work I did 26 Varsity games and 2 scrimages and 1 playoff. Loved each one and looking forward to some legion ball. I ignor the fans politely, dont put up with stupid coach antics and work hard for each game. Nothing close to an ejection this year either.I had 1-1/2 hr games and 3 hr games, both good and bad baseball but enjoyed each one.

At 60, I am not sure how many more of these I am going to have but when the time comes that I am missing calls and plays because I can't keep up or "stay awake all that time", then for sure I will move down.
Old Thu May 13, 2010, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

How timely you should ask. This week I agreed to help out a friend who called looking for a partner for a middle school game (7-8th grade) because they had a makeup game to play, last one of the season and could not get umpires from their regular assigner. He said they pay in cash, on site, an inning can't start after 1:45 and have drop dead time limit of 2:00. And, it was 5.8 miles from my house. So I agreed.

Game was played on a beautiful field with pristine outfield grass and a hard dirt infield (great bounces) in 1:40 with home team winning in bottom of 7th with 2 out by breaking a 1-1 tie with 2 outs.

Pay was a bit less than I am used to for working varsity games, but the time was short, and the drive was short, and I did not have to wait a week or more to get a check in the mail that I had to take to the bank to cash. And, there were no arguments and few fans complaining.

I certainly have pondered the subject. At my age, my career desire is not to move up, but to completely retire from the hassle.
Old Fri May 14, 2010, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Timely indeed. I am just now hitting the combination that works for me.

"Retired"
60' LL/BR. Too much drama, too little $. I put in my years when my kids were involved. I may take tournament games, but for a neighboring town. (I like the atmosphere of tournament time, and there are a couple of leagues that really take care of the umpires.)

"Current"
2nd yr HS. Still doing JV, but my level of partners has gone up (I am not getting the folks I would block if able). Can't comment on V yet. I feel strongly I can handle V, but unfortunate scheduling has kept me from the annual field clinic, so the big dogs have never seen my work. I have no problem not getting V games until I have been observed a few times.

"Current"
Rec 90' to fill out my schedule until summer ball. Most of the players and coaches I have seen in 60' years past, so my reputation is known so I rarely have on field issues to deal with.

"Current"
Giving a travel ball group a try starting this weekend. I have a tough time thinking it will be any different than what I am already doing. One of my boys played a few years back, so I have a good idea of how things will go.

"Current"
Summer Legion and Legion type leagues. It is my current exposure to the V level players and the few returning college freshmen. The interesting part to me is the HS V level coaches know how to manage a game, and how to deal with umpires. Most of the players get it too. It is much easier to deal with conflicts when both parties know how to handle their half. I also find it easier to not close off and get aloof when I can respect the other participants.

"Future"
Hard to say. I like where I am at, and look forward to getting some Varsity games next season. I have been at it long enough not to get too riled up about partners (not many really want to change). Spectators? There are spectators? I am finding I really enjoy the games where all the participants know their roles.

At just about 48, I am average age to "young" in this area. I have a little more fun than most because I often get to work with my sons. Work conflict is not an issue, so that takes plenty of stress away. While I am not going to get physically better as I age, I do get "smarter". If one of both my boys want to try some other level, I will too, but I suspect I am where I will remain until I decide I am not up to the task.
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Due to work constraints, I can only do Varsity in a very limited area. This makes me unattractive to my assignor. I only get scheduled in an emergency.

I do some later starting JV/Freshman/Middle School games.

I also do alot of youth league (60' & 90'), due to later start times.

I have always preferred higher level games, Better games, better money.

JMO

Arnie

You can't fix stupid - Ron White
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post

Give me Varsity anyday.
I tend to only call a strike when a strike is thrown, so only occasionally does a varsity game run less than two hours. I'm not out there to cheat 18 young hitters who work hard at this seven days a week.
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

Kevin:

I think you are jumping to conclusions.

You are calling umpires cheaters that have faster games than you. This is balderdash!

Varsity games in the Metro Area of Portland seldom run over two hours.

While we don't have speed up rules we do move things along (mostly because you can lose a field to weather quickly).

Kevin, when Greg Maddux pitched his games rarely lasted over 2:15 for a nine inning game.

Maybe, just maybe, umpires other than you call games correctly and they just have hitters that swing the bat.

T
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
I tend to only call a strike when a strike is thrown, so only occasionally does a varsity game run less than two hours. I'm not out there to cheat 18 young hitters who work hard at this seven days a week.
Of course, the opposite of this is true also" I tend to only call a ball when a ball is thrown, so only occasionally does a varsit game run more than two hours. I'm not out there to cheat 2 young pitchers who work hard at this seven days a week."

My guess is that all of the "experienced" umpires on the forum call about the same zone (or at least within the expected standard deviations).

Differences in game time come from local / regional "standards" on time to take the field, time to throw warm-ups, how quickly batters get in the box, whether batters tend to swing at the first good pitch or work the count, whether F2 calls the game or a coach does, number of pick-off attempts, lenght of signs given from F6 to the infield with R2 (we have one team here who gives about 15 seconds of signs on every pitch), etc.

Umpires can encourage the game to move along a bit on some of these, but on others we just need to live with it.
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 05:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
I've had a 68 minute game (bases) and a 70 minute game (plate) this year. I didn't realize I was cheating people just because I had a 3-1 game that just so happened to be played quickly.

I've only had two game over 2 hours out of the 25 I've worked so far.

That said, I have little control over it. I do not allow extra warmup pitches and I expect people to move between innings. I don't allow a mini-conference after every pitch (after a bit, I'll tell batters to keep a foot in the box). I have denied time when a pitcher had started his delivery. But beyond that, the game dictates the pace.

I do call strikes, though, and I'm not afraid to call above the belt or the inside corner or the ball at the bottom of the knee. I had a partner recently take 2:20 for a game and it's obvious part of it was because he wouldn't know an outside corner if it bit him. Pitches catching white were not properly called strikes.

Last edited by Rich; Mon May 17, 2010 at 05:09pm.