The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

I was viewing one of my taped games recently and noticed several things to work on (Hi, Rainmaker!),

One thing that kinda bothered me: I noticed that when I had a 3 pt shot high on the arc when at trail--I had all the appropriate mechanics and coverage properly applied. Or so I thought. I noted shooter behind line, preliminary 3 pt signal at 45 degree angle, stayed with shooter til he came down and caught at last moment whether shot went in or not.

But--I noticed I was not dropping down to help with the back-side rebounding action like I normally do on other shots when at trail. I kinds froze out there leaving my partner to handle any subsequent action on the rebounding.

Found that a bit interesting. Had never noticed I was doing that before.

Anyone else caught themselves doing the same thing? I've had 2-3 games since and that has been one of the things I've included in things to work on.

Now I begin to move towards the free-throw line extended as I continue to view shooter & defender.

We can learn from watching ourselves no matter how long we've been doing this. It can be easy to get into bad habits.

It had been a while since I had seen film of myself. So, with all the reminders from Rainmaker, I started again.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 10:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Very good when you get them.

Quote:
Originally posted by davidw

Anyone else caught themselves doing the same thing? I've had 2-3 games since and that has been one of the things I've included in things to work on.
I have never had that specific problem. That is beat into our heads around here in camp. We are always told to take a few steps. But I have noticed some other things I have done when I watched myself on tape. Not recently, but I did notice that I would not run sometimes after calling a foul to the spot to report the foul. I noticed that I would not give enough time in between different counts on the 5 second rule (between dribble and hold or even being closely guarded and then not being closely guarded). Most of the things I noticed were very little things that you do not ever really think about. Nothing really major in what I call or what I do not call. But that is what tape is for.

Quote:

We can learn from watching ourselves no matter how long we've been doing this. It can be easy to get into bad habits.
Yes we can. But the problem is that many schools do not send tape so I can watch the games I have officiate. Usually I ask and they say, "sure we will send that to you," and you never hear from them at all. I have already asked about 5 times this year and I have gotten one tape. And that was a college scrimmage. It was very helpful, but I wanted to see more plays and situations I was in.

Quote:

It had been a while since I had seen film of myself. So, with all the reminders from Rainmaker, I started again.
It is always good to see yourself work. Especially when you go to camp and you can hear about the silly mistakes you might make. I have had a few times where they taped and that was so valuable, I cannot put that into words.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Very good when you get them.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
but I did notice that I would not run sometimes after calling a foul to the spot to report the foul. ...Most of the things I noticed were very little things that you do not ever really think about. Nothing really major in what I call or what I do not call. But that is what tape is for.
appreciate the feedback. That was one of the other things I noticed. Although I jogged over each time to report the foul, I thought it looked too "sloppy" and that I should hustle a little more. So many little details to keep track of all the while staying in the game for all the more important judgement and timing things. But then that is why, it's been pointed out, 'they pay us the big bucks', huh!?
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
One thing that kinda bothered me: I noticed that when I had a 3 pt shot high on the arc when at trail--I had all the appropriate mechanics and coverage properly applied. Or so I thought. I noted shooter behind line, preliminary 3 pt signal at 45 degree angle, stayed with shooter til he came down and caught at last moment whether shot went in or not.

But--I noticed I was not dropping down to help with the back-side rebounding action like I normally do on other shots when at trail. I kinds froze out there leaving my partner to handle any subsequent action on the rebounding.
David, on the three point shot, this is a problem for me too, as girls tend to bunch up around the ball. What I try to remember to do is to step directly toward the sideline, and about two steps toward the endline, and turn to situate myself more like a center in 3-whistle. This way I can keep a view toward the rebounding, and also have the shooter in my peripheral vision. When I do it right, it works pretty well.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Dropping down is not necessarily a good thing... If your partner and you are on same side because of strong side stuff, Trail has perimeter and weakside rebounding which is now away from you. If you drop down you will be straightlined and will never have a good view of the weakside rebounding.

Personally in HS I think some evaluators have us drop too far. Going as low a FT line I think is a bad idea in 2 person mech. Top of key or one step down is low enough for me...
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 08:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Cool One or two is all.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Personally in HS I think some evaluators have us drop too far. Going as low a FT line I think is a bad idea in 2 person mech. Top of key or one step down is low enough for me...
You are only taking a step or two. Most of the time you will only be as low as the top of the key anyway. Not sure that is a problem at all. But it is better than going backwards, like many do and bail and find themselves in the backcourt when they might have a foul.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed we dont want to be bailing!
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 09:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up Just do not bail.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Agreed we dont want to be bailing!
I think that is the main reason they tell us to take the steps in. But if you are already too low, stay there. But just do not bail!

Peace