View Single Post
Old Thu May 13, 2010, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

How timely you should ask. This week I agreed to help out a friend who called looking for a partner for a middle school game (7-8th grade) because they had a makeup game to play, last one of the season and could not get umpires from their regular assigner. He said they pay in cash, on site, an inning can't start after 1:45 and have drop dead time limit of 2:00. And, it was 5.8 miles from my house. So I agreed.

Game was played on a beautiful field with pristine outfield grass and a hard dirt infield (great bounces) in 1:40 with home team winning in bottom of 7th with 2 out by breaking a 1-1 tie with 2 outs.

Pay was a bit less than I am used to for working varsity games, but the time was short, and the drive was short, and I did not have to wait a week or more to get a check in the mail that I had to take to the bank to cash. And, there were no arguments and few fans complaining.

I certainly have pondered the subject. At my age, my career desire is not to move up, but to completely retire from the hassle.