Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If he works, I am not.
Anyone old enough to remember Bizarro World from Superman comics?
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
You love our justice system? Then, I must assume, that you have had little or no first-hand experience with it.

And, based on part of the rest of your statement, you must have very little knowledge of some of the justice systems found in other civilized countries.
wrong on both accounts....32 years of law enforcement....all levels.....
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

been had

me thinks, y'all have been had.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

The Scarlet Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATUMP View Post
Guys, need some of your expert opinions here. On Friday my association had a senior level and well respected top umpire plead guilty in Federal court for stealing a large sum of money from the goverment. He is still being sceduled games in our local association. I dont agree with the fact that he is still being scheduled games and now tomorrow i have a high profile games with him. our assigner is unwilling for whatever reason to remove him from this game. my question is this. Would you guys remover yourself from the game or just suck it up?
I would show up and do my job. The personal costs outweigh any personal issues I can have against one individual. I would not give up my $100 bucks to avoid working with the guy. I would not turn down work offered to me because of a partner's indiscretions. His actions would not reflect on my self-worth. In fact this thread is a little too "puritan" for me. I would lose everything I value if I were to turn down an offer to work a game because of my personal ineptitude to get along with questionable characters in one game. Your partner will soon be taking a leave of absence, are you joining him?

Last edited by SAump; Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 12:04am.
Old Tue Apr 20, 2010, 09:06am
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Quote:
Do not err: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, Nor the effeminate, nor liers with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor railers, nor extortioners, shall possess the kingdom of God.
I resemble that remark....and I try SO hard not to err....

JJ
Old Tue Apr 20, 2010, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

The square (almost) duplicate world. Do you remember how the Bizarro United States differed from the Earth United States?
Old Tue Apr 20, 2010, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post

The square (almost) duplicate world. Do you remember how the Bizarro United States differed from the Earth United States?
No, don't remember Bizzaro World at all.
Old Tue Apr 20, 2010, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

I had the Superman issue that introduced the Bizarro world. I remember that Bizarro Florida had a considerably longer peninsula. I think that Bizarro ice sank rather than floated, too. (Just that difference alone would have affected the Bizarro world so severely that it could not have existed anything like earth. But if Superman could throw dinosaurs unharmed from one planet to another, or blow planets back into orbit with his super breath, what's a little sinking ice?)

There was a third difference between Bizarro and Earth (other than the fact that Bizarro was square), but I can't think of it offhand. dash_riprock brought the subject up; maybe he knows.

I remember one story in which Superman showed off his batting skills before a Metropolis home game. He hit one ball out of the stadium, around the world, and back into the stadium. I've checked all my source materials, and none have any information on how you would rule on that if it occurred in a game and the ball was caught by a member of the defense. Another "hole" in the rule book.

Google is amazing:

http://www.comictreadmill.com/CTMBlo..._07/001976.php

Last edited by greymule; Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 07:11pm.
Old Tue Apr 20, 2010, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post
I remember that Bizarro Florida had a considerably longer peninsula.
Size doesn't matter. At least, that's what I used to tell patients.
Old Tue Apr 20, 2010, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You love our justice system? Then, I must assume, that you have had little or no first-hand experience with it.

And, based on part of the rest of your statement, you must have very little knowledge of some of the justice systems found in other civilized countries.
Sorry, Finnerty, you are completely full of crap on this one.

I have PLENTY of "first-hand" experience with our justice system, from just about every vantagepoint possible. I also have a pretty good familiarity with the "justice systems found in other civilized countries".

Skarecrow has it exactly right: as imperfect as it is [and I'll be the first to admit that it is VERY far from perfect], ours still beats hell out of whatever is in second place.

As far as the OP is concerned: like mbyron, I doubt I'll ever have to make the decision, 'cause I don't imagine that either my local assn or my state would tolerate a felon on the field. That said, I have to admit that I fully support that position - a person who steals ["even" from the Gov't] IS a "bad person", namely a thief; and while I believe in rehabilitation and redemption, that comes after the "debt to society" is paid, and after some period of "exile" from the community of law-abiding citizens.
Old Tue Apr 20, 2010, 10:24pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I've worked with guys who have been convicted of crimes...some crimes dealing with money, some alcohol stuff, drugs etc...They've done their time, I have no problem working with them. Certainly they'll never hold a treasury spot on our board, but that's a whole different story.
Old Wed Apr 21, 2010, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarecrow View Post
wrong on both accounts....32 years of law enforcement....all levels.....
Okay, then; strongly biased.
Old Wed Apr 21, 2010, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfoulds View Post
Sorry, Finnerty, you are completely full of crap on this one.

I have PLENTY of "first-hand" experience with our justice system, from just about every vantagepoint possible. I also have a pretty good familiarity with the "justice systems found in other civilized countries".

Skarecrow has it exactly right: as imperfect as it is [and I'll be the first to admit that it is VERY far from perfect], ours still beats hell out of whatever is in second place.

As far as the OP is concerned: like mbyron, I doubt I'll ever have to make the decision, 'cause I don't imagine that either my local assn or my state would tolerate a felon on the field. That said, I have to admit that I fully support that position - a person who steals ["even" from the Gov't] IS a "bad person", namely a thief; and while I believe in rehabilitation and redemption, that comes after the "debt to society" is paid, and after some period of "exile" from the community of law-abiding citizens.
I have lost two people close to me, and in both cases, it is because of a failure of our justice system that the admittedly biased Scarecrow loves. Another dear person to me had his life ruined by a drunk driver. He spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair. The justice system the admittedly biased Scarecrow loves had the perpretrator out of jail before my friend was out of the hospital. That's a sampling of my experience with it.

To have a curious rating system that automatically puts our system at No. 1 with no cogent argument for it is a little silly.
Old Wed Apr 21, 2010, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have lost two people close to me, and in both cases, it is because of a failure of our justice system that the admittedly biased Scarecrow loves. Another dear person to me had his life ruined by a drunk driver. He spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair. The justice system the admittedly biased Scarecrow loves had the perpretrator out of jail before my friend was out of the hospital. That's a sampling of my experience with it.
The plural of anecdotes is not data.

Quote:
To have a curious rating system that automatically puts our system at No. 1 with no cogent argument for it is a little silly.
Dishonest much?
Old Wed Apr 21, 2010, 06:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, then; strongly biased.
Interesting assessment....before, I was inexperienced.....now I am biased....how well you assess someone you've never met....

I've seen many injustices in our system...we all have....but it does work....from my biased opinion.....