The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe you folks can come up with some examples like I have here. A school in my area hires the nephew and uncle of the Varsity Girls coach to officiate one of his games every year. And in this years Girls Regional tourney, an employee (bus driver)did his schools game. How common is this?
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

The bus driver thing is common. It is not necessisarily "his" team just because he drives the bus.
I referee and umpire for my own home town frequently and it is not a problem (I don't drive the bus). My kids are not on these teanms.
Officiating if you have a relative on a team (son, daughter, nephew, niece, etc.) is not a good idea, IMO. I feel it is better to avoid this situation for all concerned. The uncle/nephew game you refer to sounds like an annual tradition that is probably agreed upon. I'm sure if it was a playoff or elimination game these would not be the refs.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Don't get the idea that I have a problem with this, but I often wonder what the opposing coaches must think (if they in fact know).
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

My daughter (6th grade) goes to a private school that is K - 12th grade. I make sure that I scratch the school from my schedule, not because I couldn't give them a good game, but because I don't want to have any appearance of a conflict of interest.

I would suggest that in your case, the nephew and uncle should consider the "appearance" of a conflict of interest even if they know they can call a fair game.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a volunteer ref for the CYO league in my area, and one night, i had to do a game, where the team my dad coached and my sister played on, was playing against a team that another ref in our board coached. Lets just say, it was an interesting game. My sister fouled out, and my dad and the other coach each got a T. I try to separate my personal life from reffing. If there's more than one gym at a venue, i'll switch for the game.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 09:37pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by zebra44
Maybe you folks can come up with some examples like I have here. A school in my area hires the nephew and uncle of the Varsity Girls coach to officiate one of his games every year. And in this years Girls Regional tourney, an employee (bus driver)did his schools game. How common is this?

Only in Michigan. Go Bucks!!

But seriously, the uncle and nephew you should know better that to officiate that game. Regarding the bus driver and the Regional Touranment game, how far in advance is an official know that he will be officiating a tournament game on a give date.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

At least 1 week, usually 2 or more. This guy filled a spot because another Regional guy dropped out for some reason.I would rather have seen the tourney directors switch his game to remove all possibility of impropriety.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
In Texas there is a policy against this. http://www.taso.org
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
As a coach, I have no problem with officials having some sort of relationship to one of the teams on the court, but that is just me. I am sure that "fans", and possibly players, cannot believe that an official doesn't really care who wins the game. Because of the possibility of things getting ugly, I don't think the situation is very good. If "fans" are looking for someone to blame for their team's losing, they already like to blame the officials. If one (or more) of them can be linked to the opposing team, that's just fuel on the fire. I know if I were an official, I would avoid it like the plague.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

My oh my. I ref games for a private school that my brother-in-law coaches for. Oh yeah and I graduated from the school too. Actually a couple of years ago there was a kid on his team who played half a season before he found out we were related. It is just another game for me. No preferential treatment or anything and he is called "coach" and I am called "ref". I remember when I played and we went to some of the away games there were actually some fathers of the players reffing. Keep in mind these are small private schools.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 09:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

It doesn't bother me, except when it is clear the only reason the official gets the game is because of the relationship.

I worked a baseball game at a school with an "old-timer" umpire last season. Varsity high school game and this guy showed up using a balloon protector and wearing one of those navy jackets you can buy at Sears for about $10. Pants obvious not umpiring pants, either. Found out he works many games at the school because he is the school's custodian. He also complained that he isn't allowed to work that school's conference games anymore because a new commissioner came along and decided that the conflict of interest was best avoided.

Terrible umpire with a strike zone I can best call....creative. I can't imagine he gets much work elsewhere.

Rich
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

In my earlier days i ref a school in my x hometown. And in looking back, I was harder on my hometown. As a result I did not do a good job. After two times I decide to no longer do their games.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to onthecourts
I enjoy going out of state. Out of my association. And with a whole bunch of paperwork and permission and proof of credetials and federation/state tests doing a Home game at my old high school once a year. Everyone knows me there and it definitly makes for a really great pregame because I get to work with a different referee each time.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I would never do my hometown team at any level. Life is to short. I have to live with the people in my community everyday.

I make sure with my assignor that I will not have my hometown team, home or on the road. I know to many people, and do not want to be stopped on the street asking why I did not make a call in a game or someone telling me I cost them the game. It seems to me that coaches, fans, think they have the advantage or will get the calls when an official from there hometown is officating.This may be true with some officials. I had worked a 3 person game awhile back and we were going through the pre-game. After the pre-game was over the "R" stood up shook everyone's hand, said let's have a good game. And remember don't forget who hired us tonight. I didn't say anything until we got on the court. I asked "U2" what was he trying to say about who hired us. And He looked at me and said, You have never worked with "R" before have you. I stated I had not. What he is trying to tell you is, the home team will get the calls. I just turned and walked back to my position on the court.

Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
The bus driver thing is common. It is not necessisarily "his" team just because he drives the bus...

Off topic but kinda cute - a loooong time ago I worked a travel rec game, cyo or something, at a local HS gym. Game was pretty good and in the 3rd qtr I start hearing some barking from A's bench. It goes on for a while, getting louder and finally during a dead ball I go to coach A & tell him he's got to control his assistant. "Assistant?! I don't have any damn assistant!" says the coach, and I point to the adult on the end of his bench. Guy's sitting there laughing to himself when coach B yells out "Hey Willie! Whats the matter with you, get away from there!" and then says to me "Sorry ref, won't happen again, he drives my bus".