The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 21, 2000, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
I would like to know your opinions on this issue.

In our association we hire paid observers to evaluate our varisty officials. One of these paid observers happens to have a daughter who plays on a team that is officiated by our association. He is a D1 official and has a limited schedule for observing.

He only observes at games where his daughter is playing. Many officials in our association have a problem with that. What do you think?

------------------
Ron
Seattle Officials - Women's Basketball

Old Fri Jan 21, 2000, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Thumbs down

Do you know this guy? If so, do you believe he can truly be OBJECTIVE when observing? It would be hard for me to believe it!!

Furthermore, it proves to me that he CANNOT be objective by his scheduling of his observing around his and only for his daughter's games. I would think that a D-I official would have a problem scheduling his off-days to coincide with his daughter's games...that he is observing! However, I do suppose that by some remote, longshot chance, he really can be an objective observer to these games.

That being said, if he really can be that objective, then isn't he robbing his daughter of his fan participation and parental support? I think that would be very sad! What is that saying about the character of this official?

I, too, wish to be a D-I official someday, but not at the expense of meaningful and fruitful relationships with my wife and children...something that I'm sure will be quite a challenge.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2000, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

I can see where the other officials are coming from.they have a good posititon. On the other hand business is business, and if the people in charge feel that this person can elimnate the bias and judge fairly, just like we have all had to do when we officiate someone we know, then let it be and stand by that person.

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo on 01-21-2000 12:57 PM

In our association we hire paid observers to evaluate our varisty officials. One of these paid observers happens to have a daughter who plays on a team that is officiated by our association. He is a D1 official and has a limited schedule for observing.

He only observes at games where his daughter is playing. Many officials in our association have a problem with that. What do you think?

Old Fri Jan 21, 2000, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

To Indy_Ref,
Actually College officials provide a season availability. I suspect that he finds out his daughters schedule and just does not provide those days as available for officiating.

------------------
Ron

Old Fri Jan 21, 2000, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to think that, as a veteran official, he would be able to offer some valid observations whether his daughter's team is playing or not. In particular, he should be able to offer thoughts about an official's mechanics, positioning, how he carries himself on the court, etc. His assessment of judgment calls might be harder to be unbiased on, but they are nonetheless judgment calls. If he is a D1 official, I'd bet his schedule is pretty busy for the most part. Assuming he is respected by fellow officials, then why not take advantage of his experience and insights for any games you can? In our area, we do not have observers, except for the occasional evaluation a veteran will do for a JV official aspiring to move up. Thus, moving up is somewhat (or largely?) in the hands of the ratings coaches send in to the conference and the state. Nobody likes THAT system, but neither has anyone come up with a better way.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2000, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Todd,

I think we have a better although not perfect system.

Anytime a Varsity game follows a JV game we as varsity officials must be there to evaulate the JV officials for at least 2 quaters. The scores they receive rank them in order on the JV list. Each year the bottom 5 rated officials on the varsity list move back to the JV list and the top 5 JV Officials move to the varsity list.

Varsity officials are evaluated by paid observers (former officials) and ranked per these evaluations for post season play and state tournements.

go to http://home.ereferee.com/sowb/policy...ml#EVALUATIONS

for our policy on Evaluations / Observations.

If you click on the Observations link you will see the evaluation form we use.

We do not use coaches input in a formal way to assign officials.

Use what ever you like to bring about change in you association.

------------------
Ron

[This message has been edited by Ron Pilo (edited January 21, 2000).]
Old Fri Jan 21, 2000, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo on 01-21-2000 12:57 PM

It sounds like this is a little backwards. He should games she doesn't play in and therefore no problem. It also sounds like some guys in your organization have issue with this and should express that to the head cheese so that it can be dealt with accordingly.

Old Fri Jan 21, 2000, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Two points:

1. Regarding the D1 official (I think I know who you're talking about Ron), can easily appear as a conflict of interest, and that alone is probably grounds not to do it. Even though I'm sure they're doing a great job.

2. Having had the pleasure (and pain) of being in a few official's associations including Seattle's, I will say that Seattle's is by far the most organized and fair system around. Since it is run by humans, it is far from perfect. But it's miles ahead of what a lot of associations do today.

I'd check out Seattle's pages that Ron links to...

------------------
Brian Johnson

[This message has been edited by PublicBJ (edited January 21, 2000).]
Old Fri Jan 21, 2000, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo on 01-21-2000 02:32 PM
Todd,

I think we have a better although not perfect system.

Anytime a Varsity game follows a JV game we as varsity officials must be there to evaulate the JV officials for at least 2 quaters. The scores they receive rank them in order on the JV list. Each year the bottom 5 rated officials on the varsity list move back to the JV list and the top 5 JV Officials move to the varsity list.

I like that idea. Too many opportunities for evaluating JV officials to pass up, yet only a couple of us in my association have actually done some. Probably would generate a lot of discussion at the least by the varsity guys, but it's a good process I think. And in our largest conference, I'd much rather have the number of assigned games determined by rankings/ratings from my fellow officials than by the biased ratings of the coaches who know little about proper officiating. The latter has been a particular sore spot for many refs in the past couple of years. I wouldn't mind seeing more ways for VARSITY guys to be evaluated, too, which is even more rare out here. Also, I did check out the web site and printed it to review later. Thanks! Maybe I'll see some things I can propose at my next association board meeting.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2000, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Thumbs down

I don't see a conflict of intrest! The officials who feel (unconfortable) is it just this guy or other evalulators? Who pays for the service, the association or the referee's. Does your association think this guy does a good job? You can allways cut him loose!

------------------
Don
Old Sat Jan 22, 2000, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Being rated by anyone has always seemed to be a touchy subject, hopefully in this case the D-1 official is proffessional enough to do it right.
In our board here in NY we have recently changed our system also. We used to be rated by fellow officials and the coaches, combining the two ratings for an overall rating. A few years ago we stopped doing the officials rating, since it was decided that fellow officials were purposely down rating each other so as to try and promote their own rating. I know it sounds bad, but it was actually happening. Since then we are strictly using coaches ratings, even though everyone complains of this system also, since the coaches aren't usually very bias.
Our board is a relatively small one, but if anybody has a good way for rating officials I'm sure that we would all like to hear it ??
Old Sat Jan 22, 2000, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Ron,

Using this subject as a tangent, I am off.

How does the state of Washington classify officials working in your association?

Are you independent contractors?
Are you employees of the association?
Are you employees of the school district?

I am interested because here in Nevada we are individual contractors and we do not have any 'formal' evaluation system. Nothing written down establishing standards; everything is subjective as seem by an evaluation committee of senior officials.

If you would rather email me, do so at
[email protected]

I am interested in everyone's input.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce Silliman