The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Gerry Davis Chest Protector Testing

I stumbled across this on the GD site:

Gerry Davis Sports: Chest Protectors

Look at "Protection Comparison" at the top of the page.

I read their comments a few times and find it pretty hard to believe their "Davishield" is more protective than the Wilson Platinum. My hunch would be the Platinum absorbs the impact while the Davis protector does not. We have had multiple people on this forum and others saying they wouldnt wear the Davis protectors (the current one and the previous one) for anything at the high school level or above. Any comments on this "study" by GD?
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

I'll just tell you I did my own, independent testing, using the Davishield, a platinum, a WV original, a Cooper, a K1, and a Douglas.

I was the test dummy, and my 6'4" son was wielding a graphite golf shaft tipped with a Gorilla Glued baseball. I mean, how much more scientific do you want?

The Davishield faired the same as the Cooper, and nowhere near the Douglas or the WV models. Not even close. I took repeated blows with my platinum ("BRING IT, KID!"), but had enough with two shots to the Davishield ("F@#!").

I wouldn't use the Davishield for anything but softball. I find their chart, well, interesting.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

When it comes to chest protector testing, I put Kyle up above those Mythbuster guys.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

I purchased the WV Platinum last winter, and I personally think it's my best protective equipment purchase so far. Properly fitted, it rests square on the chest, and is large enough to cover your collar bone in the front, too. I took a few foul balls directly off of it, and barely felt anything.

I worked with someone in spring that used it, I think it is just a bit too thin, even though it appears to fit nicely around the upper body.

And I think most people on this board will say that when it comes to chest protectors and masks, don't skimp on those. Get the best you can, it will certainly pay off.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschramm View Post
And I think most people on this board will say that when it comes to chest protectors and masks, don't skimp on those. Get the best you can, it will certainly pay off.
Amen!

The best mask and chest protector combination costs around $300. A horses--t combination is around $125. For a mere $175, you make a supreme effort at protecting your head and heart, rather than a perfunctory one. Let me think that over for about a second.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

That is a great testing procedure stated above. I am sure your son thought of all the times you grounded him and had a blast with it. LOL. I bet you two have a great relationship or this would have never worked. Good to see a family working together.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Just to get this out of the way: No, there will be no combination Nutty Buddy/Plate shoe testing anytime soon.

You boys (your boys) are on your own.

Last edited by kylejt; Mon Dec 21, 2009 at 11:43am.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I conducted my own personal test, personal experience in a varsity game. I was wearing my K1, catcher was expecting a curve ball and the pitcher threw a heater. Needless to say, I took a fastball square to the chest. The thud when I was hit was rather quiet, the effects were major. I had a loss of breath and was rocked backward. It took me several minutes to get my wits back. I swore from that point on to never wear anything but my WV original in Varsity and above games.

I have taken much the same shot with the WV, the sound was a horrendous 'crack' that brought 'awws and gasps' from the crowd and coaches from the bench. My response was, 'what's the big deal, lets go'.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
I conducted my own personal test, personal experience in a varsity game. I was wearing my K1, catcher was expecting a curve ball and the pitcher threw a heater. Needless to say, I took a fastball square to the chest. The thud when I was hit was rather quiet, the effects were major. I had a loss of breath and was rocked backward. It took me several minutes to get my wits back. I swore from that point on to never wear anything but my WV original in Varsity and above games.

I have taken much the same shot with the WV, the sound was a horrendous 'crack' that brought 'awws and gasps' from the crowd and coaches from the bench. My response was, 'what's the big deal, lets go'.
Unfortunately, I think Davis' little "testing" study is potentially putting less experienced or knowledgeable guys in some danger by overstating the protection of their protectors compared to the Platinum.

I have (dont wear) the previous Davis-Wilson Chest Protector. I wouldnt trust that thing for freshman ball.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Honestly, all the protectors are far better than those ribbed radiators we wore a dozen years ago. But when you have a choice, choose wisely.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post

I've had the same situation. I'd much rather here a loud "CRACK" than a lower toned thud against a softer protector and have issues from that.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 09:12pm
Stop staring at me swan.

anybody going to try the new one from Honigs? I knew something was up when they had their K1 on sale for $99 this fall...
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
anybody going to try the new one from Honigs?

Why? I mean it looks like a K1 with a big hunk o' white plastic jammed on it, like an "Opps, we should have been a hard shell all along". Plus you'll look like a '58 Edsel is trying to drive through your black shirt. At least the Davishield is cool looking.

Last edited by kylejt; Mon Dec 21, 2009 at 09:25pm.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post

Why? I mean it looks like a K1 with a big hunk o' white plastic jammed on it, like an "Opps, we should have been a hard shell all along". Plus you'll look like a '58 Edsel is trying to drive through your black shirt. At least the Davishield is cool looking.

I think Honig's makes a big mistake trying to directly compete with the Wilson Platinum & Gold in terms of price. Without knowing specifics about their sales volume, I would have to believe they would be more successful selling the K1 or this one at around $99 or so. Although they finally reduced the K1 price, they introduced this one. At a price of $150, theres no reason to buy this product IMO.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 11:37pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
I'll just tell you I did my own, independent testing, using the Davishield, a platinum, a WV original, a Cooper, a K1, and a Douglas.

I was the test dummy, and my 6'4" son was wielding a graphite golf shaft tipped with a Gorilla Glued baseball. I mean, how much more scientific do you want?

The Davishield faired the same as the Cooper, and nowhere near the Douglas or the WV models. Not even close. I took repeated blows with my platinum ("BRING IT, KID!"), but had enough with two shots to the Davishield ("F@#!").

I wouldn't use the Davishield for anything but softball. I find their chart, well, interesting.
Any thoughts of getting a patent on that graphite shaft with a Gorilla Glued baseball? Could be a formitable weapon for self defense if the right coach comes out...

JJ