The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Gerry Davis Chest Protector Testing (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/56026-gerry-davis-chest-protector-testing.html)

mrm21711 Sun Dec 20, 2009 08:06pm

Gerry Davis Chest Protector Testing

I stumbled across this on the GD site:

Gerry Davis Sports: Chest Protectors

Look at "Protection Comparison" at the top of the page.

I read their comments a few times and find it pretty hard to believe their "Davishield" is more protective than the Wilson Platinum. My hunch would be the Platinum absorbs the impact while the Davis protector does not. We have had multiple people on this forum and others saying they wouldnt wear the Davis protectors (the current one and the previous one) for anything at the high school level or above. Any comments on this "study" by GD?

kylejt Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:20pm

I'll just tell you I did my own, independent testing, using the Davishield, a platinum, a WV original, a Cooper, a K1, and a Douglas.

I was the test dummy, and my 6'4" son was wielding a graphite golf shaft tipped with a Gorilla Glued baseball. I mean, how much more scientific do you want?

The Davishield faired the same as the Cooper, and nowhere near the Douglas or the WV models. Not even close. I took repeated blows with my platinum ("BRING IT, KID!"), but had enough with two shots to the Davishield ("F@#!").

I wouldn't use the Davishield for anything but softball. I find their chart, well, interesting.

Kevin Finnerty Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:23pm

When it comes to chest protector testing, I put Kyle up above those Mythbuster guys.

aschramm Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:00am

I purchased the WV Platinum last winter, and I personally think it's my best protective equipment purchase so far. Properly fitted, it rests square on the chest, and is large enough to cover your collar bone in the front, too. I took a few foul balls directly off of it, and barely felt anything.

I worked with someone in spring that used it, I think it is just a bit too thin, even though it appears to fit nicely around the upper body.

And I think most people on this board will say that when it comes to chest protectors and masks, don't skimp on those. Get the best you can, it will certainly pay off.

Kevin Finnerty Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by aschramm (Post 644451)
And I think most people on this board will say that when it comes to chest protectors and masks, don't skimp on those. Get the best you can, it will certainly pay off.

Amen!

The best mask and chest protector combination costs around $300. A horses--t combination is around $125. For a mere $175, you make a supreme effort at protecting your head and heart, rather than a perfunctory one. Let me think that over for about a second.

outathm Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:52am

That is a great testing procedure stated above. I am sure your son thought of all the times you grounded him and had a blast with it. LOL. I bet you two have a great relationship or this would have never worked. Good to see a family working together.

kylejt Mon Dec 21, 2009 08:48am

Just to get this out of the way: No, there will be no combination Nutty Buddy/Plate shoe testing anytime soon.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4oai2QUlbU...n_the_nuts.jpg

You boys (your boys) are on your own.

RPatrino Mon Dec 21, 2009 02:13pm

I conducted my own personal test, personal experience in a varsity game. I was wearing my K1, catcher was expecting a curve ball and the pitcher threw a heater. Needless to say, I took a fastball square to the chest. The thud when I was hit was rather quiet, the effects were major. I had a loss of breath and was rocked backward. It took me several minutes to get my wits back. I swore from that point on to never wear anything but my WV original in Varsity and above games.

I have taken much the same shot with the WV, the sound was a horrendous 'crack' that brought 'awws and gasps' from the crowd and coaches from the bench. My response was, 'what's the big deal, lets go'.

mrm21711 Mon Dec 21, 2009 02:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino (Post 644577)
I conducted my own personal test, personal experience in a varsity game. I was wearing my K1, catcher was expecting a curve ball and the pitcher threw a heater. Needless to say, I took a fastball square to the chest. The thud when I was hit was rather quiet, the effects were major. I had a loss of breath and was rocked backward. It took me several minutes to get my wits back. I swore from that point on to never wear anything but my WV original in Varsity and above games.

I have taken much the same shot with the WV, the sound was a horrendous 'crack' that brought 'awws and gasps' from the crowd and coaches from the bench. My response was, 'what's the big deal, lets go'.

Unfortunately, I think Davis' little "testing" study is potentially putting less experienced or knowledgeable guys in some danger by overstating the protection of their protectors compared to the Platinum.

I have (dont wear) the previous Davis-Wilson Chest Protector. I wouldnt trust that thing for freshman ball.

kylejt Mon Dec 21, 2009 06:39pm

Honestly, all the protectors are far better than those ribbed radiators we wore a dozen years ago. But when you have a choice, choose wisely.

aschramm Mon Dec 21, 2009 09:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino (Post 644577)

I've had the same situation. I'd much rather here a loud "CRACK" than a lower toned thud against a softer protector and have issues from that.

johnnyg08 Mon Dec 21, 2009 09:12pm

anybody going to try the new one from Honigs? I knew something was up when they had their K1 on sale for $99 this fall...

kylejt Mon Dec 21, 2009 09:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 644676)
anybody going to try the new one from Honigs?

http://honigs.com/images/detail_lg/ZG.jpg

Why? I mean it looks like a K1 with a big hunk o' white plastic jammed on it, like an "Opps, we should have been a hard shell all along". Plus you'll look like a '58 Edsel is trying to drive through your black shirt. At least the Davishield is cool looking.

http://images.drive.com.au/drive_ima...1Edsel_m_m.jpg

mrm21711 Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 644682)
http://honigs.com/images/detail_lg/ZG.jpg

Why? I mean it looks like a K1 with a big hunk o' white plastic jammed on it, like an "Opps, we should have been a hard shell all along". Plus you'll look like a '58 Edsel is trying to drive through your black shirt. At least the Davishield is cool looking.

http://images.drive.com.au/drive_ima...1Edsel_m_m.jpg

I think Honig's makes a big mistake trying to directly compete with the Wilson Platinum & Gold in terms of price. Without knowing specifics about their sales volume, I would have to believe they would be more successful selling the K1 or this one at around $99 or so. Although they finally reduced the K1 price, they introduced this one. At a price of $150, theres no reason to buy this product IMO.

JJ Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 644417)
I'll just tell you I did my own, independent testing, using the Davishield, a platinum, a WV original, a Cooper, a K1, and a Douglas.

I was the test dummy, and my 6'4" son was wielding a graphite golf shaft tipped with a Gorilla Glued baseball. I mean, how much more scientific do you want?

The Davishield faired the same as the Cooper, and nowhere near the Douglas or the WV models. Not even close. I took repeated blows with my platinum ("BRING IT, KID!"), but had enough with two shots to the Davishield ("F@#!").

I wouldn't use the Davishield for anything but softball. I find their chart, well, interesting.

Any thoughts of getting a patent on that graphite shaft with a Gorilla Glued baseball? Could be a formitable weapon for self defense if the right coach comes out...;)

JJ