The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 14, 2004, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

I asked this in a post before, but mostly got a bunch of descriptions of the stance. I was wondering if anybody out there uses the GD stance, what they think of it, if anybody who teaches umpires uses it or what they think of it, and other general comments on the stance. Thanks
Old Wed Apr 14, 2004, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Switched after learning it from Gerry at the Southern Umpires camp in 2001 and never looked back. It is comfortable and you lock in well. I have rare hits on the arms from fouls, but less than when tried to hide my hands. I have talked to different partners about the benefits and developing locking in mechanisms. I recommend it and you are never to experienced to learn.

Ed H
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrm21711
I asked this in a post before, but mostly got a bunch of descriptions of the stance. I was wondering if anybody out there uses the GD stance, what they think of it, if anybody who teaches umpires uses it or what they think of it, and other general comments on the stance. Thanks
Highly recommended. Its a good solid stance that allows you to stay free of F2 and to get a great view of the plate.

It does take some work to adjust to of course.

Thanks
David
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

I must have missed the posts explaining this stance. I hear alot about it, but cannot find much on it. Could someone explain, and/or provide a link to find more information about the Gerry Davis stance?

Thanks.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Stance Info

http://childress.officiating.com/

this link provides info on the stance...its at the bottom under working the plate. Keep the comments coming guys I love to hear what you guys think about the Gerry Davis plate stance. Thanks
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I went to this stance after a GD clinic 4 years ago. I used to be a scissors guy. The GD stance has helped enormously. It is comfortable, and really locks you in. I now teach, or help teach clinics, and this is the number one stance we preach. Some of our taller brethren struggle with it, but if they stick with it, it works. The number one key is the head just doesn't move.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Try it you will like it

Have only used it in a few games so far but I think it is great. I recommended it to all of my association's officials last week. It is great to not have to worry about the last second moves of the catcher.

Caught the slightest amount of flak about it a couple of days ago.... pitcher was throwing what I felt were high pitches - ball, ball, ball. Pitcher is whining. Rookie catcher is set well back in the box and is coming up from his stance to catch the pitches rather than raising his glove... I STILL HAVE A GREAT UNIMPEDED VIEW from above the catcher! Coach comes out in a friendly way between innings, "I don't want to argue balls and strikes." My imediate response was, "So what are you doing out here." But then he went on to plead his case and made a fleeting comment about me being well back of the catcher. So I explained ... "Your catcher is back a foot more than the opposing catcher and he is rising up to catch these high pitches... Do you want me to call the pitches based upon where they cross the batter or upon your catcher's abilities (it wasn't really a choice)? Because I think they are high." He responded that if I would like, I could expand my zone a little. "Well coach if you want your kids trained to swing at pitches around their shoulders (still wasn't really a choice)..." He left and the next inning the pitches were a foot lower and well in the zone.

I like the stance. It is more comfortable. It is similar to a slowpitch softball stance (position, as Childress calls it). The only drawback is that now you are a bigger target and you may catch more foul balls, so wear good gear and try it!
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

As this becomes more popular, how far are we aware from some sort of forearm guard becoming standard issue for plate umps.

One question for those of you who call baseball and softball - using GD, do you have any problems picking up the ball from the softball release point? Do you find yourself inching over a little to compensate in softball like they describe for a batter crowding the plate in baseball?
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

As soon as I say this I will be nicked 50 times, but I have used the GD stance for four years. The number of times I have been hit is no more, or no less, appreciable than my earlier stance. Good equipment is always the best option. As far as wearing protective arm equipment, we might as well wear a badge that says "hit me," because you know the only place we well get hit is above, or below it.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

I'm sure the number of times you get hit stays the same ... but with this stance you have an arm exposed that you didn't have before. If you mean you're not getting hit any more often on bare skin than you were before, I'll take your word for it.

I plan on trying this out soon, as I admit I have a little trouble with that outside strike, and would like to improve that.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
As this becomes more popular, how far are we aware from some sort of forearm guard becoming standard issue for plate umps.

One question for those of you who call baseball and softball - using GD, do you have any problems picking up the ball from the softball release point? Do you find yourself inching over a little to compensate in softball like they describe for a batter crowding the plate in baseball?
I've used the Gerry Davis stance for over two seasons. I'm 66, and yet I've called as many as four Youth games in a row (14u/115 time limit) without fatigue.

(Have you seen that ad for a drug that reduces fatigue? A spokesperson says: "One sympton of fatigue is feeling tired." No kidding!)

Don't "scoot over." That destroys one of the principal advantages of GD. DO NOT MOVE UNLESS YOU LOSE SIGHT OF THE PITCHER'S RELEASE POINT.

So, when you stay in the GD stance, you WILL get hit on the forearms, especially in lower-level ball, i.e., high school and down. Well, ....

I solved the problem of forearm guards, thanks to Wal-Mart. Go to Sports, Youth Soccer, shin guards. Buy a pair of 8-inch (hard plastic over soft rubber) guards. Cost? About $3 I think.

Then go to UnderArmour.com and buy a pullover longsleeve garmet. (You don't have to do that, but if you don't, you'll have to answer questions about the "funny" extra padding. Since I love UnderArmour, my choice was a no-brainer.)

As James Cagney said in Footlight Parade: "My headache's gone!"
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

forget arm pads. taking a shot in the arm is part of the game and pads would look ridiculous.

tough it out
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by brian43
forget arm pads. taking a shot in the arm is part of the game and pads would look ridiculous.

tough it out
You're kidding, right? Shin guards? Chest protector? Throat guard? You don't wear those, right? Tough it out.

The forearm guards don't show when I umpire, and I don't bleed internally when I'm hit.

By the way, if you wear your protector, it's not hard shell. Right? And you cut off the shoulder pads. Right?

Hey, if that's what you think baseball is, I want you toughing it out on my crew, calling the foul line in right field.

Have a nice day.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

I tried the GD stance in the first game of a double header today. I don't know if I did it right, but what I did I liked.

Old Mon Apr 19, 2004, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Tried it on Saturday for the first time. My back was killing me. I suspect I'm doing something wrong, as it was only 2 games.

I did, however, feel like I had a better look at the zone, and I didn't get hit once.

PS - longsleeves over armguards... nice idea for you Yankees. It was 90 degrees on Saturday here in Texas.