The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Balloon Chest Protector - Outside Protector

Over the past two weekends, during some USSSA youth tournaments, ages ranged from 9-18's...I saw more umps using the balloon than ever (last I counted was 6 different umps) in one day. Of course it was extremely hot, 90 plus degrees. I have thought about it (again) during these heat waves...not sure about range and view with it but anyone have some experience with the balloon. Last time I used one was when I was 16.
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Absolutely the best for youth games and hot days. Throw out the different color shirts, the whatevergrey color pants, 2 stich, 4 stich, 6 stich a dollar hats and just do it with the balloon, shorts and hat on backwards with a mask. Now thats umpiring. I like it, go for it.

For years, I have said that the field umpires should be allowed to wear shorts during the hot weather but, we still have too many officials that get the word "professionalism" confused with "style."

So go for it for youth games but, don't forget to tuck your jacket in your pants because then you'll be "cool."

Oh , they are really not hard to use, put your arms in the straps and protect yourself.

Have fun.
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 12:54pm

I used to borrow my assignor's old foam rubber-filled outside protector to do a certain brutal Sr. Little League triple-header on some Saturdays (I was the only sucker, er, umpire that would help him out and do the league--I must like him a lot!). I would just hide back there behind the catcher and call it American League over the top style as at least 20-25 balls would hit me every Saturday like clockwork. I did this for 5 straight weeks. I should have gotten a Purple Heart or something!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Shorts

Now that you mentioned shorts, last Saturday, 90 degrees plus, a fan parent supplied us with some ice water between innings and she stated, "You guys should wear shorts, what's wrong with you?" Gave me an idea, maybe..
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Ahhh!!!

Now I understand, Steve got caught showing those legs off on Saturdays and they have banned shorts ever since.

Way go Steve!!!
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 01:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Ahhh!!!

Now I understand, Steve got caught showing those legs off on Saturdays and they have banned shorts ever since.

Way go Steve!!!
Actually, my legs are the one feature that I would want to show off. It's the rest of me that needs hiding! My legs are rather buff (aren't all umpire's?). No, we have never been authorized to wear shorts, unfortunately, or I would sign up for it.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25