The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

I've tried the GD system before, and I agree it does expose one's arms much more than the other stances. There have been many comments here about people not using GD because of getting hit in their arms, and others who wear arm pads for protection.

Now I'm no GD expert, but others here have said to set up 3-4 feet back or one large step back from the catcher.

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
The salient points of the GD system are: ... (3) standing one long step bahind the catcher;
Quote:
Originally posted by nickrego
You stand 3 – 4 feet behind the catcher with your nose lined up on the inside edge of the plate.
Now correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that the reason umpires wear inside protectors are because they are less bulky which allows you to get close to the catcher.

But with GD, you are standing 3-4 feet back off the catcher. With all this talk about arm protection, why does no one wear an outside protector. With 4 feet there is plenty of room for a balloon to fit in front of you. And it will cover you arms too. I know some will say that it look bad, but then how do you think wearing shin guards on your arms looks? (I have never seen anyone do this so I can not say myself)
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

the inside protector allows you to get lower more on an eye level of the pitch. working right on top of the catcher makes you "look" down on the pitch and not get a very good depth perception on the pitch. working that distance away allows you to step back, see the ball longer, and allow the ball to come to you instead of looking down on it. if you do not like the stance, do not use it. if your arms are exposed, how many shots do you take there anyway when not working the GD stance? that would be your upper thigh (no protection there anyway) and the lower torso where there is little protection anyway.
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrm21711
the inside protector allows you to get lower more on an eye level of the pitch. working right on top of the catcher makes you "look" down on the pitch and not get a very good depth perception on the pitch. working that distance away allows you to step back, see the ball longer, and allow the ball to come to you instead of looking down on it. if you do not like the stance, do not use it. if your arms are exposed, how many shots do you take there anyway when not working the GD stance? that would be your upper thigh (no protection there anyway) and the lower torso where there is little protection anyway.
I don't use the stance and I don't wear an outside protector. I am just bringing up a point. I never said anything about working right on top of the catcher. I was debating working one's normal slot stance, versus the GD stance. My point was if you are worried about arm protection, and you are 4 feet off the catcher, then use an outside protector.

This whole season, I have never got hit in my arms. Once a ball bounced and hit my hand, but that was it. But if I was working GD, a few of the balls which hit my chest, would have hit my arms. Ohh and I would take a shot off my upper thigh over one off my forearm any day.
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

That's a good point

LDUB, I had been thinking about the same thing for a couple of days now. I figured I wouldn't post about it for the simple reason that the balloon had gone nearly extinct (I still see a few guys using them). With umpires so fashion conscious as to debate what color undershirts are allowed, whether white is allowable on which shoes, how wearing a plate coat makes you appear like a better umpire to other umpires, etc. etc., people would not wear the balloon because of the appearance.

I don't think that MrM really answered the question though. There doesn't seem to be any logical reason, other than the appearance, that one couldn't use an outside protector with the stance.

Hello again, everybody. It's a bee-yooo-tiful day for baseball.
- Harry Caray
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

It's amazing,

I worked with a partner that used the outside protector up to 2 years ago, untill he couldn't ump any more because of bad knees.

He always told me by setting up higher and back off the catcher that he never missed a pitch. Well almost most never.I guess Bob was ahead of his time or mabey our time.
I can say one thing for sure, he did an alot of 1-1/2 hr games though.

I think your right, today we would be too concerned that it wasn't politically correct to use one. Lot cooler though.

Don't get me wrong, there are more varities and safer equipment than ever, which is good. I just don't see the outside protector making a great comeback.

I am still waiting for the day when the the Field Umpires will be allowed to wear shorts. Hey we have all the pretty shirts, helmet/masks, Teeshirts and jackets. How about comfort? The boys with the big balls use them, don't they?
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Last year was my first year umping, and I had no equipment. I had to use the old stuff my league lent me which included balloon protectors.

They do protect you very well, but you feel like Captain America with a shield when you have to cover a play at 3rd!
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tornado
They do protect you very well, but you feel like Captain America with a shield when you have to cover a play at 3rd!
When using a balloon, it shouldn't be on your arm. Use the shoulder straps on your shoulders, and keep your hands free. I still use one for younger players (under 12) because I was tired of coming home with purple arms.
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Can it be done ?

I own an antique Balloon Protector. It’s hanging on my office wall along with a vintage mask as a display.

Short of taking it down and trying it (would be a real pain in the butt to do), I don’t see how you could use a BP with the Gerry Davis stance. The straps just aren’t designed to put your hands on your knees. I would think that in order to be able to do so, the straps would have to be set so loose that it would not sit up against your chin. And your hands are not available to hold it in place.

Nick
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Re: Can it be done ?

Quote:
Originally posted by nickrego
II don’t see how you could use a BP with the Gerry Davis stance. The straps just aren’t designed to put your hands on your knees. I would think that in order to be able to do so, the straps would have to be set so loose that it would not sit up against your chin. And your hands are not available to hold it in place.
You do have a point about it not being up by your chin. Unless you could rest the bottom of the protector on your knees/thighs, and that would hold it in place against your chin.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

I bought a batters forearm protector that I use on my left forearm .. and it works fine. I dont wear on both - just the one for the majority right batters. I am not concerned about the look, but I think it looks fine. I grew tired of getting hit in the forearm in fp softball and started wearing it. I wear a bicep protector on my left bicep but that can't be seen. Now doing baseball, I also wear the same arm protection. I dont see a need to get injured or even hurt just to "look MLB cool"; not to mention I dont get paid enough. Batters may take one for the team, but I wont.

FP Softball umps dont wear shorts - SP Softball umps can (I believe).

Big 5 sporting goods, under 7 bucks for forearm protection... you dont need to wear shin guards on your arms; which I agree would look funny.

I work slot not GD.

[Edited by wadeintothem on Jun 1st, 2004 at 12:57 PM]