The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Ball Four, in the dirt

First of all, when did it become common practice in MLB to get a new baseball every time a ball touches the ground? I find this an annoying ritual. No matter how slight, a new baseball comes into play. It just seems kind of silly to me.

Here is something that I noticed the other day while watching an MLB game - and it happened twice in the same game. Who knows how many times this has occurred without my notice?

Ball four is in the dirt but caught cleanly by the catcher. The batter trots off to first base as the catcher hands the ball to the PU who exchanges it for a new ball.

Huh?

The ball is live and in play! We have a baserunner!

What happens if the catcher's throw back to the pitcher is wild and the batter-runner tries to make a break for 2nd? Is it possible he can be thrown out by a different baseball than the one that initiated the play? Or - is the ball dead, precluding the batter-runner from attempting to advance to 2nd? Worse yet, what if the umpire's throw back to the pitcher is wild?

In a game earlier in the week, with runners on base, a pitcher decides he doesn't like the baseball and tosses the one in his hand toward the ballboy stationed near the dugout. The pitcher was about 20-feet from the mound at the time. The umpire calls him for a balk! (I assume the PU interpreted it as a delivery without being in contact with the rubber. He killed the ball - but I don't know why he did that.)

Something seems wrong to me with all this baseball exchanging.

Any opinions?

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think a balk was called, the pitcher thought time had been called and threw the ball in the dugout, and if I remember correctly the runner on 1b was awarded 3b.
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I can't say when it became standard practice, but I suspect a major league pitcher worth his salt can do nasty things with a dirty baseball. Besides, they have 100 of them to use, why not use them all.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seans View Post
I don't think a balk was called, the pitcher thought time had been called and threw the ball in the dugout, and if I remember correctly the runner on 1b was awarded 3b.
That makes more sense. I just saw it briefly on TV and I think the announcer said a "balk" had been called. He was probably wrong, though.
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
I can't say when it became standard practice, but I suspect a major league pitcher worth his salt can do nasty things with a dirty baseball. Besides, they have 100 of them to use, why not use them all.
You just KNOW the ball cannot possibly be all scuffed up in most of the instances when they replace it.
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
All it takes is one small blemish, scuff or cut. Those dastardly pitchers don't need any more help, they will use any advantage they can get...

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling View Post
That makes more sense. I just saw it briefly on TV and I think the announcer said a "balk" had been called. He was probably wrong, though.
Yes, the announcer was wrong. It was an award for a fielder (F1 off the rubber) throwing the ball out of play.

As far as exchanging baseballs, this has been a practice for a long time. RPatrino hit the nail on the head when he said that anything on the ball can be an advantage to these pitchers. Also, we are used to working with filthy baseballs whereas MLB can afford to keep a nice clean ball in play.
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Or - is the ball dead, precluding the batter-runner from attempting to advance to 2nd?
Oh gosh, I can't believe the umpires are stopping the BR from trying for second on a walk...what are they thinking???

Are you really asking these questions Memphis? The ball is dead when the umpire examines it. The ball isn't going to become live when the umpire throws a new ball to the pitcher.
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

They are supposed to start a game with 6 dozen rubbed up baseballs. So if they can toss them out for hitting the dirt and get by with 6 dozen then fine. I always assumed those are being put in a ball bag so PU can inspect late in the game if the 6 dozen is getting low.
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
they use a lot more than 6 dozen. i rubbed 7 in A ball. as far as checking the ball each time it hits the dirt goes...you have to. it's not dirt, it's clay; and it's hard. the balls not only get scuffed, they get cut. it doesn't happen every time it hits, but it happens enough that it has to be checked every time it does.
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 07:40pm

Quote:
Ball four is in the dirt but caught cleanly by the catcher. The batter trots off to first base as the catcher hands the ball to the PU who exchanges it for a new ball.

Huh?

What happens if the catcher's throw back to the pitcher is wild and the batter-runner tries to make a break for 2nd? Is it possible he can be thrown out by a different baseball than the one that initiated the play? Or - is the ball dead, precluding the batter-runner from attempting to advance to 2nd? Worse yet, what if the umpire's throw back to the pitcher is wild?
YGTBSM!

This has to at least tie, wouldn't you people say?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ball four is in the dirt but caught cleanly by the catcher.
Not possible.

MLB is different from LL.
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First of all, when did it become common practice in MLB to get a new baseball every time a ball touches the ground?

August 23, 1974, 5th inning

Quote:

Huh?

Everyone is relaxed at this point. It's not LL -- the chances of a baserunner (especially the BR) advancing here are less than .001%.

It's much the same as a coach requesting and being granted time to go out to the pitcher just after ball 4.
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Not possible.

MLB is different from LL.
What I mean by "caught cleanly" is that it doesn't ricochet away. It just skips into the dirt and is caught. It's not a loose ball. Actually, even that is irrelevant. Even if the ball skips away from the catcher a few inches, I've seen they change baseballs before the batter is even halfway down the line.

I would think you would have to wait to change baseballs once the batter reaches 1st and is clearly making no attempt to advance. It's sort of analogous as to when a batter walks and the defensive manager wants to call time immediately to talk to his pitcher. He has to WAIT until the BR reaches first - then he can have time.
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It's much the same as a coach requesting and being granted time to go out to the pitcher just after ball 4.
I understand - but most managers understand that they can't walk out onto the field before the runner reaches first - nor will time be called until he does.

Are you saying you immediately kill the ball the moment the manager indicates that he wants to walk out onto the field and talk to his pitcher based on the low probability that the runner will advance or that the catcher's throw-back will be wild?
Closed Thread