The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

ASA fastpitch - batter hitting ball in the dirt

I recently began coaching a 12U ASA team after a couple of years with a USSSA team, and I don't have a rulebook (great admin in this league...not).

Recently one of my girls hit a pitched ball after it had bounced before reaching the plate (took my "be aggressive" admonition to extremes!) and the result was a base hit! But the umpire said it was a dead ball because it had hit the dirt before she hit it.

I argued that the dead ball ruling may be correct in slow pitch but not in fastpitch - to no avail. Fortunately, the girl got another base hit, so no harm was done, but I'd like to know for future reference....what was the correct call?

Thanks - and I'll keep trying to get a rulebook! Still can't believe the ASA doesn't put their rulebook online like the other organizations.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM85
I recently began coaching a 12U ASA team after a couple of years with a USSSA team, and I don't have a rulebook (great admin in this league...not).

Recently one of my girls hit a pitched ball after it had bounced before reaching the plate (took my "be aggressive" admonition to extremes!) and the result was a base hit! But the umpire said it was a dead ball because it had hit the dirt before she hit it.

I argued that the dead ball ruling may be correct in slow pitch but not in fastpitch - to no avail. Fortunately, the girl got another base hit, so no harm was done, but I'd like to know for future reference....what was the correct call?

Thanks - and I'll keep trying to get a rulebook! Still can't believe the ASA doesn't put their rulebook online like the other organizations.
You can purchase an ASA rulebook at their website. If you really want one that badly, don't blame ASA or your league administration for your lack of one. Instead, take action.

Now, to your question. Your umpire would have been correct in his ruling, had it been a SP game. However, since we are talking FP here, the original hit should have remained a hit. In FP the ball is live when it hits the dirt in front of homeplate.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks!

I appreciate the response!

I checked the website earlier but found only a CD...I'll certainly look again. I'm sure you'll understand that if I have to buy a rulebook that I'm supposed to already have I'll feel ripped off. But at least I'll have a rulebook!

There's a reason why the USSSA is thriving on the TX side of this town and the ASA is dying on the AR side.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

If you are a registed ASA team, contact your local J.O. commissioner and ask him for your rule book. It comes with you registration....
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM85
I checked the website earlier but found only a CD.
Go to eBay; there is always someone there selling the coach's edition of the ASA book.

WMB
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

"Coach, if a pitch hits the ground and then hits your batter, do you want her to get 1B"?

"Of course. She was hit by the pitch".

"But you claim a pitch that hits the ground is a dead ball. How can the batter get 1B if a DEAD BALL hits her"?

"UH".

Bob
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to oneonone
If it hit the dirt and then skidded past the catcher the ball would still be alive and runners, if any, could certainly steel. I wonder if he would than send the runners back because the ball hit the dirt before the plate...yikes!