View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeeRef View Post
Had the plate in a recent Legion game using NFHS rules. Working 1st time with an experienced varsity official, in a makeup game. Both teams are out of the playoffs, coaches just want to get in an extra game.

1st inning, R1. Pitcher steps in, hands are a part, ball in pitching hand behind his back, he is not set. He quickly turns shoulders. looks runner back to 1st. He then looks to the plate, hands are still apart not set, then again turns quickly to 1st to look the runner back.

After the inning my partner informs the coach that, if this occured during the regular HS season he would have balked the pitcher.

I questioned him away from the coach. He explained that the spirit and intent of the rule allows the pitcher one turn of the shoulder to look back the runner. Multiple shoulder turns are not allowed, even if the pitcher has not come set.
I've looked in Fed and OBR rule and case books. I can't find anything to justify his interpretation. Am I missing something ??????
Hey Jerzee, I was surprised to read that you play NHFS rules for balks. We use OBR for Legion Ball, with the exception of substitutions and sliding rules. No speed up rules either.