Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Round goes to Washburn.

[fine retort]

That's fine, however, when the coach comes out and says, "why is that ball fair?", don't say, "I pointed it fair, and then the catcher grabbed it."

It's not just our job to get it right, we should also say it right. This is how ejections start.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
You want pizza?

Tournament for 12u.
I'm PU with two partners.

U1 make a 'routine' out call at second.
HTM asks for time and gets it from me. He comes out and asks, "if the 'guy at 2 can ask for help', I think the fielder had his foot off the bag".
Me; "I don't think he needs any help with that call Charlie. He was 10 feet from the play".
He; "Well what did you see"?
Me; "The runner down the first base line".
He; "All I'm asking is that you guys get together on it". He turns back to the dugout.

U1 walking towards me at this point. U2 coming over as well. I ask, "You want pizza" after the game?
Both of them stifle laughs and go back.
HTM thanks me for 'conferring' with the others.

Happy Manager, happy Umpires, game ends, pizza (and beer) is consumed. We get paid.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo...blue... View Post
That's fine, however, when the coach comes out and says, "why is that ball fair?", don't say, "I pointed it fair, and then the catcher grabbed it."

It's not just our job to get it right, we should also say it right. This is how ejections start.
Ooooooooohhhhhhhhh, IIIIIII seeeeeee ...

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Mon Jul 13, 2009 at 11:38am.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon View Post
Happy Manager, happy Umpires, game ends, pizza (and beer) is consumed. We get paid.
Some of us break even buying gear; some of us break even buying pizza and beer ... it's all good.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

REALLY? I shouldn't say that? Since I TOLD you what I said in my post, you already know I did not say that.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 01:24pm

Quote:
Unless of course the ball actually came to settle on the plate. Which I might find a little hard to believe.
Umpired much? I've had plenty-o-balls that settled to a complete stop right on top of home plate before the catcher had a chance to field them. It's not all that uncommon. Sheesh, make a Federal out of it!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Umpired much? I've had plenty-o-balls that settled to a complete stop right on top of home plate before the catcher had a chance to field them. It's not all that uncommon. Sheesh, make a Federal out of it!
I've umpired 1,000's of games. From LL to Professional (Indy). Many guys on this forum know who I am, but it might take some time for them to figure it out.

I've never seen a baseball completely settle on top of the plate. I guess my catchers are just smarter than your's in my neck-o-the-woods.

Or maybe my plates are sloped...rolling towards the infield perhaps.

Washburn wrote something incorrectly in his post, and I called him on it. My apologies if you find my sarcasm offensive. I didn't think umpires could have their feelings hurt so easily.

If I was in attack mode I would say something about the guy that ejected a batter for not getting in the box. There are prescribed penalties for that. Prescribe that penalty once or twice and he could have gotten mgr and player. That would have been more fun.

Have Fun with this one...
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 02:08pm

Quote:
I've umpired 1,000's of games. From LL to Professional (Indy). Many guys on this forum know who I am, but it might take some time for them to figure it out.
So...what am I, some rook? 3,400 enough for you? I think I've been around enough to have seen some balls hit in the dirt and settle on the plate. Especially here where there is so much loose dirt/sand/silt around the plate at some parks, where the ball hits the ground and stops.

Quote:
I've never seen a baseball completely settle on top of the plate. I guess my catchers are just smarter than your's in my neck-o-the-woods.
Yeah, smarter than where the majority of major league ball players come from.

Quote:
Our plates are level.

Quote:
Washburn wrote something incorrectly in his post, and I called him on it. My apologies if you find my sarcasm offensive. I didn't think umpires could have their feelings hurt so easily.
I am a master of sarcasm myself, but you weren't being sarcastic. Perhaps you should mix in a dictionary.

And it wasn't our feelings that were hurt, it was just that it seemed so ridiculous to nitpick about his wording in his own story. He didn't post the story for a grammar lesson. That, and pointing out spelling errors are two very bad things to do on a forum.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If I was in attack mode I would say something about the guy that ejected a batter for not getting in the box. There are prescribed penalties for that. Prescribe that penalty once or twice and he could have gotten mgr and player. That would have been more fun.

Have Fun with this one...
My feelings were not hurt. I am a neat guy and you are a wiseass. Why would my feelings be hurt?
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Uh-huh. Sure wish I had dollar for every wannabe that claimed professional experience.

We may not know who you are, but pretty much everyone knows what you are.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My apologies if you find my sarcasm offensive. I didn't think umpires could have their feelings hurt so easily.

If I was in attack mode ...
Wow! You're placing a little too much importance on yourself.

Feeling hurt???

You must be kidding.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo...blue...
30 years as an umpire. Never counted the games. Started in LL went as far as College level, settled with HS, youth & adult. Had a family so I could not pursue a professional career.

Got rid of my raft (donation to LL), still have the Elbeco's, still have the blue slacks, sold the maroon base coat, still have the bow ties, can't find the "beak" (beanie).

All that aside, I've seen balls settle on home plate, batters hit the ball twice, catchers jump in front of batters, pitchers take a batted ball to the face. I've seen winners, losers, wanna-bees and some go pro. I've seen good umps, bad umps and umps that went pro. I've shared stories with MiLB & MLB players and managers. I've chewed the fat with McSherry (RIP), Merrill (RIP), Rapuano & West and do you know what all of that means to anyone?

Nothing!

They are mearly memories for me!
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=yo...blue...;614172]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
Varsity HS game
Zero outs
Bases Loaded.

The ball was hit and spun back and land on home plate. I pointed, the catcher grabbed it, touched home and tagged the batter who had not run-double play.

QUOTE]

You pointed it fair...and then the catcher grabbed it? I think your timing might be a bit fast.

Unless of course the ball actually came to settle on the plate. Which I might find a little hard to believe.
I had a 1 - 0 extra inning game end with an intended sacrifice bunt which ended up landing on home plate. The catcher airmailed the throw to attempt to retire the batter and R1 scored the winning run. To my complete shock, the catcher and defensive manager both knew that the ball on the plate was fair.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=yo...blue...;614362]I've umpired 1,000's of games. From LL to Professional (Indy). Many guys on this forum know who I am, but it might take some time for them to figure it out.

Do you hail from the Great White North and post under the moniker of cc6??