The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 04, 2003, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Approximately 30 seconds remaining in the 1st quarter, Magic player is dribbling the ball in frontcourt. He loses his footing and falls to the floor. He secures possession of the ball and then stands up. NO CALL!

I just checked the NBA rulebook and casebook. There's no case on this topic. The rules do not address it specifically. The rules talk about lifting the pivot foot, but don't say how/if a pivot foot is established when possession is gained while on the floor.

Can it be possible that this is legal in the NBA? I would've sworn that it was not, but now I'm not sure. Any pro guys out there to shed some light?

Chuck
Old Sun May 04, 2003, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Legal in the NBA. It is in the NBA Rulebook and Casebook, don't have them with me so I can't give you a reference.
Old Sun May 04, 2003, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

As I said, I have both the rulebook and the Q&A in front of me and I can't find a direct reference in either place.
Old Sun May 04, 2003, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Shame on you, Chuck. You should know better than to question ANY ruling in an NBA game...
Old Mon May 05, 2003, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

Basically as long as the official doesn't believe the PIVOT foot has changed, no travel. I know. It's a much different interpretation than NF or NCAA. Fans go nuts when it happens.
Old Mon May 05, 2003, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

I don't have an NBA rulebook, but here in Detroit, TV commentator Bill Laimbeer said that, while it's a travel everywhere else, it's only a travel in the NBA if the player tries to advance the ball. Normally, I wouldn't rely on a tv commentator for a rule, but for the NBA it's all I've got.
Old Mon May 05, 2003, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stan-MI
I don't have an NBA rulebook, but here in Detroit, TV commentator Bill Laimbeer said that it's only a travel in the NBA if the player tries to advance the ball.
Well, here in Boston, I don't trust that thug, I mean, Laimbeer any farther than I can throw him.

Quote:
Normally, I wouldn't rely on a tv commentator for a rule.
I would recommend that you continue that policy
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Amazingly, I saw almost an identical play in the Spurs/Lakers game last night. Loose ball after a rebound, Danny Ferry goes to his knees to secure it. He stood up and then passed it. No whistle. Can't ever remember seeing it happen before last weekend. Now twice in a week. Wierd.