The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Thanks for weighing in in a timely fashion. Takin' a stand, gotta love it! Like Jim Morrisson, you took a look around, see which way the wind blows.

feet first = fielder could get hurt

head first = runner could get hurt

a lot of potential for getting hurt leaving the glove down. Jeter could have jammed a finger on F5's glove. I've seen it happen.
Uh, no, the first time I tried to watch the play, it didn't work. I went on with my life, and then, today, I did see the play and it was a glaring example of one of those instances with conditions that do not add up to an automatic call. One of those conditions was the headfirst slide, which is both more likely to produce a deceptive movement at the end of the slide, and less likely to injure the fielder if he stays in there (the only legitimate reason for the automatic out call in the first place).

The guy blew the call and blathered about it (idiotic!) and ejected the manager. That was a bad minute of time in that guy's umpiring career.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by insatty View Post

Perception is reality. Jeter was out.
I'm going to change the way I umpire. And when a guy is safe, even though the throw appeared to have beaten him, even though 90 percent of the time the throw beats him, he's out, but I see that he's safe like Jeter was, I'm going to call him out anyway. And when he jumps up and disputes the missed call, I'm going to say, "See all those people over there? Well, from over there, a play like yours is generally perceived as an out ... so I called you out."

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 05:21pm.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 05:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
I'm going to change the way I umpire. And when a guy is safe, even though the throw appeared to have beaten him, even though 90 percent of the time the throw beats him, he's out, but I see that he's safe like Jeter was, I'm going to call him out anyway. And when he jumps up and disputes the missed call, I'm going to say, "See all those people over there? Well, from over there, a play like yours is generally perceived as an out ... so I called you out."
But that's the problem...you shouldn't explain your call. Foster shouldn't have explained his call. He could have said, "Shut up, you get the same call on defense," and that would have been it.

I don't care if the runner slides head first, feet first, or as$ first, he's out if the tag has been waiting on the ground for him. In any other case, if he slides around the tag, he's safe. Not if the ball has been waiting for his arrival. That's a different situation than a daring, exciting hook slide on a close play.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But that's the problem...you shouldn't explain your call. Foster shouldn't have explained his call. He could have said, "Shut up, you get the same call on defense," and that would have been it.

I don't care if the runner slides head first, feet first, or as$ first, he's out if the tag has been waiting on the ground for him. In any other case, if he slides around the tag, he's safe. Not if the ball has been waiting for his arrival. That's a different situation than a daring, exciting hook slide on a close play.
I was working a 18-U wood bat summer Nationals game. I'm on the plate with a Kenny Lofton type guy as R1, and there's a sinking liner to right that drops. I fly to third, because I read that Lofton's coming (he read the liner early and took off). The right fielder throws a beam to third a little on the infield side. The third baseman catches the throw and lays the tag down on the inside corner of the bag 12 feet before R1 arrived. R1 does a headfirst slide, and just as he arrives, he shoots his right hand out toward the outside corner of the bag and the tag missed him from the angle that I busted my a$$ to get. SAFE!

I don't have the ability to make a one-man-game style call when I'm right on top of something. And when you're right on it and you have the angle, it matters a whole lot less what the perception is.

Marty Foster makes calls his way; I try to get it right based on anticipation, hustle, proper choice of angle, a steady set, a clear look, and a fair judgment. If I do it that way, I can do it the same way 100 percent of the time and be correct with my call a higher percentage of the time than the Marty Fosters of the world.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 06:09pm

F5 should have dropped his knee in front of the base. Different type of play. F5 had plenty of time to block that bag. Once it was clear that the runner wasn't just going to give himself up, screw being nice...knock the runner out with the tag.

In Jeter's case, F5 was just being courteous to Jeter. Next time, maybe not so.
Old Sat Jul 11, 2009, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Playing the game properly is another subject.

If I am the third baseman and the guy slides headfirst, we have an out and an ailing baserunner.

The old knee-in-the-face trick.
Old Sat Jul 11, 2009, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Playing the game properly is another subject.

If I am the third baseman and the guy slides headfirst, we have an out and an ailing baserunner.

The old knee-in-the-face trick.
Only if it's someone like Jeter should he drop the knee. Jeter was out because the umpire called him out. I agree with SDS that the umpire shouldn't have explained the call.
Old Sat Jul 11, 2009, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

I think virtually everyone here agrees that his explaining (lamely excusing) his call was sheer idiocy.

Terrible call; terrible excuse; terrible job engaging the player.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think virtually everyone here agrees that his explaining (lamely excusing) his call was sheer idiocy.

Terrible call; terrible excuse; terrible job engaging the player.
So far, all we have is Jeter's version of what Marty said.

In some pro circles, another version goes like this:

"The ball beat you, the glove was done, you know how it's done Derek."

Then an embarrassed Jeter decided to interpret it to his manager and the press. Ratspeak.

In real time, from the positioning prescribed, it is an understandable call.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

Would any of you have a different perspective of this issue "if" the following was what was "really" said betwix Foster and Jeter:

Foster: "The ball beat you, the tag was down, I had you out."

AND:

Has anyone read anywhere that Hirchbeck talked with Foster before he met with the media?

I am not defending anyone -- I am just wondering what you all would think.

Thanks,
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Would any of you have a different perspective of this issue "if" the following was what was "really" said betwix Foster and Jeter:

Foster: "The ball beat you, the tag was down, I had you out."

AND:

Has anyone read anywhere that Hirchbeck talked with Foster before he met with the media?

I am not defending anyone -- I am just wondering what you all would think.

Thanks,
That's similar to what a PCL umpire told me. As I recall when Hirchbeck talked to the media he mentioned something about he WAS GOING to talk to Foster. I would assume that meant he hadn't yet heard anything about what Foster said except what Jeter was reported to have claimed.

What would I think is this were true? Business as usual for a Rat.

Last edited by Ump153; Thu Jul 16, 2009 at 11:42am.
Old Sun Jul 26, 2009, 04:02pm

And now we have ANOTHER unbelievable call!

Just a few minutes ago, in the Cubs/Reds game on WGN, Laz Diaz badly butchered a play at the plate, in which he was 3BLX and in perfect position. He just saw a tag when there was none, while at the same time, the runner's foot was all over the plate. The catcher missed the tag by a good 6", yet somehow Laz saw a tag and banged the runner.

What's with the rash of missed calls lately?

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=5757733

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Sun Jul 26, 2009 at 05:59pm. Reason: to add link to video of missed call by Laz Diaz
Old Sun Jul 26, 2009, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What's with the rash of missed calls lately?
You're just noticing them.
Old Sun Jul 26, 2009, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

It was a brutal call, but it's not easy being human.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2009, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Good grief, that was brutal. The phantom tag was one of the lamest I have ever seen.