The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Catchers Interference Help

Am Leg Sr. level, OBR rules with Am. Leg modifications.

R2, R3, 0 outs

Batter swings hits catchers mask and hits ball down to F5. R3 breaks for home, F5 throws home. Ball sails over catchers head but R3 retreats back to 3rd. Ball stays in play. Now R1, R2, R3, 0 outs

Help me please with this play. I'm not sure this went according to the rules. Is the interference nullified as long as BR reaches 1st base, or is it nullified as long as BR and all others advance at least one base.

Second question.
Field had large openings between backstop and dugout area (~25ft). If ball is thown out of play what becomes of all the offensive players.

Thanks for all your help. I was greatly confused when this happened largely due to my partner not calling it (I was BU) but not sure about the situation until the catcher left the field because the mask was now broken.
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

The batter and all other runners did not advance at least one base, so at the end of playing action, call time and enforce the CI - Batter at first, other runners remain (because they were not stealing on the pitch). The coach has the option of taking the result of the play - which would result in the same thing!

If F5's throw had gone out of play, the result would be B/R at 2nd and 2 runs in. Ignore the CI.

Last edited by dash_riprock; Wed Jun 24, 2009 at 08:46pm.
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_12 View Post
Am Leg Sr. level, OBR rules with Am. Leg modifications.

R2, R3, 0 outs

Batter swings hits catchers mask and hits ball down to F5. R3 breaks for home, F5 throws home. Ball sails over catchers head but R3 retreats back to 3rd. Ball stays in play. Now R1, R2, R3, 0 outs

Help me please with this play. I'm not sure this went according to the rules. Is the interference nullified as long as BR reaches 1st base, or is it nullified as long as BR and all others advance at least one base.

Second question.
Field had large openings between backstop and dugout area (~25ft). If ball is thown out of play what becomes of all the offensive players.
1st Question. You had CI. Delayed dead ball. The batter / runner acquired 1st. R2, R3 were not forced so they do not have to advance. The CI is negated. Now if the batter did not reach 1st and R3 scored, then the OM has the option of taking the results of the play or the CI. R3 would return on the CI.

2nd Question. A thrown ball is a two base award. One base if pitched. TOP or TOT depends on who threw it and when.
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump View Post
R2, R3 were not forced so they do not have to advance. The CI is negated.
ALL runners (including the B/R) must advance at least 1 base for the CI to be ignored.
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

That's right dash. They all have to reach their advance base to negate the CI. I wrote that up to quick. Had to run out to the grill.

Last edited by Forest Ump; Wed Jun 24, 2009 at 08:46pm.
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Now if the batter did not reach 1st and R3 scored, then the OM has the option of taking the results of the play or the CI. R3 would return on the CI.
Why would offensive manager take the option that removes a run scored?
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I'm still stuck on this statement, "Batter swings hits catchers mask."

Where was this catcher positioned? I mean, holy crap, I've seen the mitt get hit, maybe even the wrist, but the MASK???
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

I'm going to guess it was broken on the backswing.

"Why would offensive manager take the option that removes a run scored? "

Maybe late in a game when down by a couple of runs or more. The out might be worth more potentially.

Last edited by tornado; Thu Jun 25, 2009 at 12:25am.
Old Thu Jun 25, 2009, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Why would offensive manager take the option that removes a run scored?
Beats the heck out of me. I don't tell them how to coach. I just officiate the game.

How do you hit the ball and the catchers mask at the same time plus miss the glove? Back swing contact would be nothing.

Last edited by Forest Ump; Thu Jun 25, 2009 at 12:22am.
Old Thu Jun 25, 2009, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
The batter and all other runners did not advance at least one base, so at the end of playing action, call time and enforce the CI - Batter at first, other runners remain (because they were not stealing on the pitch). The coach has the option of taking the result of the play - which would result in the same thing!

If F5's throw had gone out of play, the result would be B/R at 2nd and 2 runs in. Ignore the CI.
Agreed. In most amateur games, though, I will ask the coach whether he wants the play or the penalty.
Old Thu Jun 25, 2009, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

How do you hit the ball and the catchers mask at the same time plus miss the glove? Back swing contact would be nothing.
I don't know how but it happened trust me. It was not the backswing as the swing had an abbreviated follow through. Maybe it hit the "wings" that stick out on the sides of the HSM, but it definently hit mask first. Two distinct sounds even from the "C" position of bat hitting the plastic of an HSM and then the ping of bat on ball
Old Thu Jun 25, 2009, 10:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_12 View Post
I don't know how but it happened trust me. It was not the backswing as the swing had an abbreviated follow through. Maybe it hit the "wings" that stick out on the sides of the HSM, but it definently hit mask first. Two distinct sounds even from the "C" position of bat hitting the plastic of an HSM and then the ping of bat on ball
Oh, it was a HSM. That makes more sense. I was trying to figure out how a regular catchers mask got broken, as they are made of metal.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25