The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

ASA. Rule 6,section 5, A. "The pitcher shall not deliver a pitch unless all defensive players are positioned in fair territory, except the catcher who must be in the catcher's box. EFFECT: A. Any infraction of sections 1-8 is an illegal pitch. Question: If the pitcher cannot deliver the pitch with the catcher out of the catchers box how can you have an illegal pitch that never happens? How I come to this question: Base runner on first, right handed batter, coach does not hide the fact that he is calling for a pitch-out. The catcher sets up with her right foot out of the catchers box. I call time and the pitcher never pitches. I explain to the catcher she has to be in the catchers box to start the pitch. Partner and I discussed later and could not decide if illegal pitch should have been called. Did I do wrong or was I just doing preventive umpiring without knowing it ?
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

I think you did the right thing in preventing the pitch, just as you would not allow the pitcher to deliver with F5 still in foul territory, returning from chasing a foul ball. I have warned the catcher many times (before the pitch) about being in the box. The most common violation occurs when the batter moves up in the box and the catcher sets her feet in front of the catcher's box to get the mitt right over the plate.

You hold up play when a runner has not yet made it back to her base after a foul ball. You also correct the situation if you see a batter setting up with a foot outside the lines of the batter's box. In the case you mention, if the catcher is set up properly and the pitcher starts her motion, then if the catcher leaves the box you call the illegal pitch.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Bandit,

IMHO, you did right in instructing the catcher that she has to start in the catcher's box and I also call it preventative umpiring.

Quote:
Posted by Greymule In the case you mention, if the catcher is set up properly and the pitcher starts her motion, then if the catcher leaves the box you call the illegal pitch.
GM, if by this statement you mean that the catcher steps out of the box after the pitcher starts her motion but before the pitch is released, then I agree with you. After the pitch is released, the catcher can leave the box.

SamC
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Absolutely. The catcher can leave the box after the pitch is released, but not before. Good clarification, SamNVa.

In a similar vein, I can't count the number of times I've had to wave my arms and scream, "Time out!" when, after a play, the batter gets in the box and the pitcher starts her motion while I'm still returning to my position after the previous play. Sometimes they just don't notice that you're not behind the plate. Even with the better players, you have to watch for everything.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
I can't count the number of times I've had to wave my arms and scream, "Time out!" when, after a play, the batter gets in the box and the pitcher starts her motion while I'm still returning to my position after the previous play.
I don't understand why you would stop play here... after all, you would still have as good a view as the 3rd base coach, and he seems to have no trouble getting all the calls right!
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

It's only an illegal pitch if the pitcher VIOLATES the rule you quoted. Meaning the pitcher would have to complete a pitch while the catcher is outside the box. Stopping it where you did, the pitcher did not complete the pitch, and did not violate a rule - no illegal pitch.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

You would still have as good a view as the 3rd base coach, and he seems to have no trouble getting all the calls right!

True. Of course, an even better view (especially of the outside corner) is available from the far corner of the stands.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
You would still have as good a view as the 3rd base coach, and he seems to have no trouble getting all the calls right!

True. Of course, an even better view (especially of the outside corner) is available from the far corner of the stands.
Well...as we all know, anyplace provides a better view than where we stand.

Interesting story to go with that. This past summer I was calling a championship game at a 4 field complex in a little North Texas town. There were so many folks there that they lined the fences down both lines and even into the outfield. I really don't recall seeing so many folks at a fastpitch game. (This was a 16U tourney). Anyway, at one point a pitcher throws a pitch, about thigh high, but too far inside. Ball. Next pitch located at the same place. Ball. About that time, from out beyond the left field fence, I hear a man shout, "Come on blue, the plate ain't round."

My partner and I had a good laugh from that one!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2003, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Which small town, Skaht? I call occasionally in Denton.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Nov 14, 2003, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mbcrowder
Which small town, Skaht? I call occasionally in Denton.
I, too, occaisionally call in Denton, though I didn't this year at all after the high school season was over. This, however, was in a real little town...Whitewright.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.