The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Bad Catchers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Trust me, at the levels most of us work, it is 100% the catcher not living up to his title.
This leads to another question what do you do when a catcher is really bad?
In a 4A (next to highest division) varsity the other day I got hit 5 times by pitchers a good catcher would have stopped my thigh is purple from groin to knee from two that hit is the same vicinity after bouncing off the plate.

I expect a foul every now and again but the battery for this team never was on the same page, catcher setup out pitch is in, 60 foot fastballs, that bubba couldn’t/didn’t block and lots of hit flesh

Turned into a long painful game

Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by radwaste50
In a 4A (next to highest division) varsity the other day I got hit 5 times by pitchers a good catcher would have stopped my thigh is purple from groin to knee from two that hit is the same vicinity after bouncing off the plate.

I expect a foul every now and again but the battery for this team never was on the same page, catcher setup out pitch is in, 60 foot fastballs, that bubba couldn’t/didn’t block and lots of hit flesh

Not much you can do, except invest in extra-strength Advil.

Last edited by Carbide Keyman; Fri Apr 14, 2006 at 02:42pm.
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 02:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Aleve works well too.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

In a 4A (next to highest division) varsity the other day I got hit 5 times by pitches a good catcher would have stopped my thigh is purple from groin to knee from two that hit is the same vicinity after bouncing off the plate.
It takes a lot to get me to move. In a college game early this year I took a fastball directly off my mask that bent it, and an inning later I took a fastball directly to my thigh. Neither was touched by the catcher. After the second one I moved out of the slot and directly behind him and wherever he went, I went.
Old Sun Apr 16, 2006, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Grab the catcher by his protector and make him block the ball. I do high school and college catchers like that. I just dont trust them.

Clint Lawson
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Ouch !!!

Quote:
...my thigh is purple from groin to knee from two that hit is the same vicinity after bouncing off the plate.
Balls hitting the plate shouldn't hit you in the thigh... put some dirt in front of the plate so there isn't a lip for the ball to hit and bounce up at your thighs. The catcher will get more readable hops too.

Of course if the catcher is not making any move to protect you... then I would say you are getting thrown at. Tell the coach you need a new catcher ... or a new pitcher... This is not the right answer for balls bouncing off the plate but might be for a direct shot into your body.