The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Is it ? Isn't it ? Not sure ? Something happened ? Can't call what we don't see ? Batter is right handed batter who crowds the plate. Totally legal in the batters box. Catcher not one to crowd the batters. Pitcher throws high and inside. Batter takes a chopping, wild swing at the ball. Fouls it off. I take pride in using the proper slot position and not being one who "flinches" on too many pitches. But I have to admit that this pitch and swing made me flinch. As I reach into my ball bag to retrieve a new ball I realize that I have a catcher having taken off her glove and rubbing the back of her catching hand. I heard or saw nothing to indicate the bat had come in contact with her glove. Defensive coach comes out to check on player. Offensive coach at third now asks if I have catcher's interference. I simply state that the glove had come in contact with the bat on batters back swing after contact had already been made. He accepted it. Whewwwwwww. Any suggestions on how this was handled, should have been handled, or if anything has ever happen to others like this.
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandit
I simply state that the glove had come in contact with the bat on batters back swing after contact had already been made. He accepted it. Whewwwwwww.
You can't call it if you didn't see it, that is true. However, I won't make stuff up. I might have said to the coach something more like this...

"Coach, there was no contact on the swing. Perhaps she got her on the back swing."
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

And for future reference, catcher's can't interfere. They can only obstruct.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
I simply state that the glove had come in contact with the bat on batters back swing after contact had already been made. He accepted it. Whewwwwwww.
You can't call it if you didn't see it, that is true. However, I won't make stuff up. I might have said to the coach something more like this...

"Coach, there was no contact on the swing. Perhaps she got her on the back swing."
If there was contact on the swing and you just didnt see it, this could be considered making something up

Just tell them you didnt see contact and you'll be keeping a closer eye on the catcher, and you'll warn the def coach - and warn the defense coach about the catcher.
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
And for future reference, catcher's can't interfere. They can only obstruct.
Unless you are playing by OBR'ish rules. In Little League, the catcher interferes.
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Well, with all due respect everyone else, if I hear it, I'm going to call it even if I didn't see it.

If I hear a thump or double-thump and the catcher doesn't have the ball or there isn't a pile of pigeon feathers on the plate, odds are the first thump was the bat against the glove.

The umpire is looking for the ball to pass through the strike zone, not the bat. If you know the sound, make the call.

Old Thu May 27, 2004, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

oops.. forgot the blue heard it - yep if i hear it I will call it.. This often happens on tips or fouls also.. where I only hear it.
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Well, with all due respect everyone else, if I hear it, I'm going to call it even if I didn't see it.
Quote:
Originally posted by wadeintothem
oops.. forgot the blue heard it - yep if i hear it I will call it.. This often happens on tips or fouls also.. where I only hear it.
Quote:
Batter takes a chopping, wild swing at the ball. Fouls it off. ...As I reach into my ball bag to retrieve a new ball I realize that I have a catcher having taken off her glove and rubbing the back of her catching hand. I heard or saw nothing to indicate the bat had come in contact with her glove.