The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

If it ain't bush league, then I wonder why they will be wearing an imprint of the seams on their ear if they ever get into higher leagues, and maybe a few shiners from the scuffle if they go after the pitcher.

Last edited by tballump; Fri May 22, 2009 at 11:24pm.
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like my daughters (and college for that matter) softball games...

No big deal, the pitcher just needs to pitch...a shot to the earhole is not out of the question...but if a team wants to act like that, be the bigger man (or team in this situation)

Are you sure this wasn't 8U??
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Any type of cheering/clapping - don't pick that booger. It's baseball.
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

I've read the posts and I must say that I am very amazed with the amount of umpires that like to make up rules and adjust rules to fit situations. If a pitcher cannot endure clapping from a base runner, then he should not be on the mound. What do you want, silence out there? If you do, then go officiate golf, because that is the only sport that I know of where you are supposed to be quite during play!

There are enough rules out there, start learning them and using them correctly!

Finis
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

3.1.1DD: Players from Team A begin taunting a player from Team B. RULING: If, in the judgment of the umpire, the infraction is of a minor nature, then the umpire shall issue a team warning to the coach of the involved players. Otherwise, the umpire shall eject the players, which also shall serve as a team warning.

If the umpire thought it was taunting, then he was correct. Otherwise, let them clap.
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
I've read the posts and I must say that I am very amazed with the amount of umpires that like to make up rules and adjust rules to fit situations. If a pitcher cannot endure clapping from a base runner, then he should not be on the mound. What do you want, silence out there? If you do, then go officiate golf, because that is the only sport that I know of where you are supposed to be quite during play!

There are enough rules out there, start learning them and using them correctly!

Finis
Preach on, brother Ozzy!

I'm with you, and have a hard time believing anyone would consider clapping a rules infraction. Bush league, sure, but not against the rules.

Tim.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

For HS ball and up, I say: "you want 'em to shut up? Get a double play."
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschramm View Post
Last night I was BU for a U14 game (FED Rules), and near the middle of the game the runners for the team at-bat started clapping, not in uniform, in an attempt to distract the pitcher during his preliminary motions, and hoping the pitcher would balk.
Thanks!
Gentlemen, based upon the description of this alone, this is a rules violation.

I agree with Ozzy that some officials "like to make up rules and adjust rules to fit situations," however, there are many out there that don't have the gioonies (SP) enough to use the rules that are in the book appropriately and make it a hey-day for other officials when they do.

I have no problem with cheering, clapping and team spirit encouragement but, when the so intent is to gain an advantage in violation of the rules then it is my job to enforce them. I agree it is umpires judgement here but, I have had situations with runners on third clapping and yelling at the pitcher with a clear intent to get the pitcher to balk. "Hey Blue, no one ever said that was illegal before." Whole teams beginning rythmatic chanting only when a runner is on third and the pitcher is come set. It then increases in volume as the pitcher gets ready to pitch. "Hey Blue, no one ever said that was illegal before."

For the most part, I agree with everything said here but, I just want to point out that discretion is just as important in knowing when not to insert yourself in the game, as it is when you should be enforcing the rules.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Bush league. But sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do I suppose. Not everyone plays the game the right way.
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
How is it different than F4/F5 tapping their gloves behind R2 as they move back and forth, trying to keep him closer to 2B? That's also intended as a distraction, and no different than a runner clapping his hands while leading off. Are players really THAT mentally fragile that they can't perform under the slightest pressure?
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post

I agree with Ozzy that some officials "like to make up rules and adjust rules to fit situations," however, there are many out there that don't have the gioonies (SP) enough to use the rules that are in the book appropriately and make it a hey-day for other officials when they do.

I have no problem with cheering, clapping and team spirit encouragement but, when the so intent is to gain an advantage in violation of the rules then it is my job to enforce them. I agree it is umpires judgement here but, I have had situations with runners on third clapping and yelling at the pitcher with a clear intent to get the pitcher to balk. "Hey Blue, no one ever said that was illegal before." Whole teams beginning rythmatic chanting only when a runner is on third and the pitcher is come set. It then increases in volume as the pitcher gets ready to pitch. "Hey Blue, no one ever said that was illegal before."

For the most part, I agree with everything said here but, I just want to point out that discretion is just as important in knowing when not to insert yourself in the game, as it is when you should be enforcing the rules.
Clear intent ? Perhaps they are merely trying to put the pitcher's focus on themselves (the baserunners), rather than his duty at hand, making a quality pitch. I draw a distinction between attempting to cause a balk and "shaking up" the pitcher. There is no rule, of which I am aware, that would prevent a runner from attempting to unnerve the pitcher.
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

...yes, of course bush league....and the higher levels of ball you do, you dont (usually) see that.
At this level, a little bit of "sometimes you just gotta umpire" might work. And in this case maybe a word to the coach between innings.

Call him over, take out the line-up, as if thats what the conversation is about, and maybe something like:

.."Coach, Im not one to dampen enthusiasm, but is the clapping thing really necessary? I mean, whats next, 'hey batter-batter'?"....

Ive used that a few times on similar situations (you have to pick your spot), but its always worked, the coach feels that his team is being looked upon as having to resort to "ankle-biter" tactics to try and win, as opposed to just playing the game.

They stop that crap...at least for that game..
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

I have had coaches complain about the bench chanting and the runner clapping. To be honest, I didn't notice it until it was brought to my attention.
The way I fugured was, if I am that focused on my job, the players should be that focused on theirs! I block it out and do nothing. Don't get that in HS and up.
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12 View Post
Don't get that in HS and up.
The sad part is, I've seen it in HS and up. Usually by teams with poor quality coaching.
Old Tue May 26, 2009, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieUmp View Post
How is it different than F4/F5 tapping their gloves behind R2 as they move back and forth, trying to keep him closer to 2B? That's also intended as a distraction, and no different than a runner clapping his hands while leading off. Are players really THAT mentally fragile that they can't perform under the slightest pressure?
Wellllllllll, lets see here. how about the umpire stated that he determined what the intent of the runners was, to get the pitcher to balk.

How is it different? Let see here!!!! One is a rule violation the other is not.

The fragility of the players has NOTHING to do with this. Were talking about an officials ability to recognize a rule violation and enforce it, (when it is necessary).